(NSFW) Document and adjust "bent penis" / "180 penis" tag family

Blackie Wiremane
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -

Kody's dark side
There is a group of tags for images where a character has their penis bent more or less backwards:  
90 penis, 180 penis, 360 penis, bent penis, bentpenis, bent dick.

First, let me warm up with lesser things:

• bentpenis apparently is a mistype of bent penis; thankfully, the mistyped tag is empty, so I propose to simply remove it;  
  • bent dick is obviously a synonym of bent penis, so I propose to alias on of them into the other;

• 180 penis implies nudity, which is wrong coz the penis owner still may wear clothes; I propose to remove the implication. (upd: beyond the scope)

• the “## penis” tag subfamily totally lacks a description;  
  • supposedly meaning “a character’s erected penis is heading ## degrees relatively of its natural orientation”, I propose to remove the empty 360 penis, coz a 360-degree deviation means no deviation — did they mean 270?

• I propose the following description for 90 penis:  
    ~~
A character has their erected penis turned 90 degrees from its natural chest-ward direction, usually held there by thighs, or some obstacle.
~~
“90 penis” (“90-degree penis”) = An erected penis perpendicular to its owner’s belly.
A character has their erected penis declined half-way towards the opposite of its natural chest-ward direction, usually held there by their thighs, gravity (?), or some obstacle.
  • I propose the following description for 180 penis:  
    ~~
A character has their erected penis turned 180 degrees from its natural chest-ward direction, usually while laying on belly, or the penis being pulled with a rope, etc.
~~
“180 penis” (“180-degree penis”) = An erected penis facing opposite to its owner’s head end.
A character has their erected penis facing opposite to its natural chest-ward direction, usually while laying on belly, or the penis being pulled with a rope or other external force.

upd: maybe include semi-erect penises hanging down by own weight

Please edit into proper English.

As a parallel approach, I propose to introduce two tags:

• “penis behind thighs” for images where the dick is held bent backwards by its owner’s thighs pressed together (“self penis thigh-hold”?);

• “penis bent backwards” for images where the dick heads more or less backwards coz pulled or pushed by an external object/obstacle; I’d add this tag as an implication to the 180 tag, and maybe to the 90.

Please also edit into proper English, and maybe there are better names for the tags.

It’s probably not a big thing whether a dick heads 180 degrees backwards straight from its base, or acquires that angle eventually? ‘x)  
    Maybe it’s where bent penis would come to the stage, described something like “When a character’s semi-erected/not-fully-erected penis is curved”. You know: English, please.
Brokedownandmadeone
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Equality - In our state, we're all equal here!

BigThirsty ponybooru.org
  • 180 penis implies nudity, which is wrong coz the penis owner still may wear clothes; I propose to remove the implication.
More often than not, they are nude. At the very least, they are partially nude/clothed. It follows the genitalia implication paradigm, where all of them imply nudity by default. (See: penis, vulva, anatomically correct, and anus for examples) Or I could’ve just linked nudity, which has the full list of implications.  

bottomless and topless both imply clothes, partial nudity, and should be applied where necessary.
Blackie Wiremane
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -

Kody's dark side
@saby  
If I get it right, in English bent means “temporarily not straight”, and curved “naturally not straight”. Then “curved penis” probably deserves to be a tag. Though I believe natural curvature won’t result in a more than 45 degree deviation, which is the focus of this discussion.

@Brokedownandmadeone  
To me, “more often” is not enough for implication, only “always” is. If nudity means full nudity (otherwise why there would be the partial), then I’d demand all those implications to be removed: if you stick your dick out of your pants, it’s not always even partial nudity, what to say about full nudity then. It may be worth a separate thread, though.

P. S. Is there a quick way to insert a link to a particular tag without copy-pasting urls, smth like #nudity being converted into nudity ?
Brokedownandmadeone
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

BigThirsty ponybooru.org
@Blackie Wiremane  
I’ll rephrase to “much more often than not”, especially in the case of ponies. This is the case for a lot of tagging protocols.  
The way I understand it is: if the use case for it is useful for a large majority of instances, and it makes sense to do so, that’s how the implications are put in place. And yes, “more often” should be enough for it. Otherwise, there’d be a lot more tagging work involved all around, and not everyone’s going to bother. Usually the implications assist in doing a good job.

To the P.S., no. Thee isn’t always a need to link everything.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Looking For My Doctor
If I get it right, in English bent means “temporarily not straight”, and curved “naturally not straight”.

That … what … where did you lean English?

Bent does not mean “temporarily” anything.

And

“more often” is not enough for implication, only “always” is

Please, it’s great that you are trying to help, but you’ve only been here for 4 months and you’re already demanding that tag implications that have been in place for half a decade be removed, or insisting that we completely redesign how tagging works here.

Maybe lurk more? Read some of the past tag change threads?

There’s a reason why we don’t have such draconian rules for implications.
Blackie Wiremane
Artist -

Kody's dark side
where did you lean English?
In a place where light never shines I use sources I can use, thanks. :/ That was a hypotesis and a solution. After all, that’s why I say I’d rather leave the final decision on tag naming to a native speaker.

Please, it’s great that you are trying to help
Yer welcome. I said IF and WOULD, didn’t I? I’ve been registered here for 4 months, with a history as an anonymous user as well. I’ve got my hooves deeper into the system recently, and its concepts collide with mine, imagine how that feels.

My humble request thread about documenting tag relations is still on its way, so I have to work with my assumptions: if you tag what you see in an image, and not what is not there, and implied tags jump in automatically when you add an implying tag, that logically means that you add implications to what is always implied only. As the “nudity” tag is undocumented, I look for the word’s dictionary definition: “the state of not wearing any clothes”.

I’m not spitting on everyhting that has been done for the system before. It just getting in involves going through a middle storm.

@Brokedownandmadeone  
Yeah, links just look cool, a good natural formatting to make tags in question stand out.  
So, you tag an image, implied tags jump in, and you see one implication is not applicable to the image; you remove it and it’s simply gone?  
What ‘bout nudity and partial nudity? How’d you explain these?
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
and its concepts collide with mine

I’m sorry that’s the case.

But our tagging is community sourced, and based on community consensus, grown out of a tagging paradigm that we inherited from another precursor site, which has been improved and tweaked and massaged over a decade to reach the current point it is in.

So if you are in opposition to the community consensus please consider that you are in opposition to the community consensus. Please try to understand the community census and why some of the existing tagging practices have evolved before you insist or demand that they be changed.

You said this;

if you tag what you see in an image, and not what is not there, and implied tags jump in automatically when you add an implying tag, that logically means that you add implications to what is always implied only

As this seems to be the crux of your ‘opposition’ to how we tag, let me try to clarify this for you.

if you tag what you see in an image, and not what is not there,
True. Except that if something is implied to be in the scene - that is, it is suggested but not directly expressed or otherwise not visible in the image, then it is tagged as “implied [thing]”. For example, in this image ‘anon’ is implied, because that is who Rainbow Dash is talking to, but we do not see ‘anon’ in the image.

and implied tags jump in automatically when you add an implying tag,
True. If, for example, you tag an image appledash, then we add (what on this site is called ‘implying’) shipping, because that is a shipping tag. We also automagically ‘imply’ both “Apple Jack””/tags/applejack and Rainbow Dash, because if they aren’t both in the image then it is, at best, ‘implied appledash’ rather than literal applejack. And based on common usage, the tags female, lesbian, because we assume that if you are tagging an image as ‘applejack’ then there are females in the image, and the ship is usually ‘lesbian’ because it shows ‘romantic/sexual desires or interaction between females’.

It is important to note that not all ‘applejack’ images show ‘females’ or are ‘lesbian’ - about 13% of the existing ‘applejack’ images on the site are not tagged ‘lesbian’.

Something does not have to be 100% always true for us to imply it. It just needs to be convenient for normal tagging.

However - and maybe this is the part that is causing your “concepts collide” problem, we do NOT imply IMPLIED tags. If a tag is only implied, then it doesn’t become an implication in the database.

If a tag is only implied, we do not imply it. That would be wrong.

We are using one word in multiple ways, and it is important to remember the context of the use of the word.

Since you seem to have some experience with database design and development, consider the reserved word “IMPLY” to be lexical. There is no global definition.  
that logically means that you add implications to what is always implied only.

No. Wrong. You are being overly pedantic about your use of the word “implied”. The word “implied” has lexical meanings, which you are ignoring.

As you said, you feel that

To me, “more often” is not enough for implication, only “always” is
That is not the definition of ‘implication’ on this site.

We are not going to remove implications that are not 100% always true. This is a fanart site - there is nothing that is 100% always exactly the way you want it to be. Nothing.

Celestia is not always 100% even a Princess.

Luna is not always 100% the Princess of The Night.

Twilight is not always 100% a Unicorn. She is not always 100% an Alicorn.

This is a fan site populated by artists where there is no wrong way to imagine. Shit be fluid.

On this site, you are never going to get the perfect situation where everything is always exactly one and only one thing.

My humble request thread about documenting tag relations is still on its way
Well, I assume that you have members of staff who work on tagging involved in this, but I haven’t heard them talk about out, so I also assume that this is your own personal attempt … either way, I hope this is something you are doing in conjunction with or as a part of the Philomena project.

Because, if not, given what you’ve said in this and other threads, it sounds like you are documenting a site that doesn’t exist.

And, just to clarify:

As the “nudity” tag is undocumented, I look for the word’s dictionary definition: “the state of not wearing any clothes”.
No. Wrong.

This is not a dictionary site. The tagging that happens on this site is based on this site’s consensus and in many, many, many instances it either disagrees with dictionary terms or with definitions other fandoms have and depend on, or it BOTH disagrees with the dictionary AND other fandoms, or we do not even officially use terms that neighbor fandoms and websites utterly depend on.

Please, remember, when working with a fansite with community sourced tagging based on community consensus, if you are reaching for a translation dictionary to find out what a word means, you are probably going to be confused.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@Blackie Wiremane  
Uhm … Ok. Wow. It’s fascinating that you chose that thread as an example.

Since the person who created that thread did so anonymously, I think it’s safe to recommend that you please not lend too much credence to that individual’s ideas about tagging.

Just as you appear to be having difficulty with “implications”, that person doesn’t understand the concept of “aliasing”. And they have some very very wrong ideas about other very fundamental tags on the site.

Please, seriously, do not take that person’s lead with regard to tagging on this site.
Blackie Wiremane
Artist -

Kody's dark side
I’m sorry that’s the case.
First, thank you for your personal attention to my situation, it means a lot to me :)  
consider that you are in opposition to the community consensus
I’m considering it every second I deal with tags here :3 Well, probably I’m slightly exaggerating^^ To become an endemic part of the community is one of my current long-term goals. )  
As you can see, I’m not going on a tag vendetta, I try to find a common ground.

how we tag
Let’s clarify our terminology. I believe “aliases” are pretty clear when discussing tags, but not “implications”. So let me use “tag-imply, tag-implications” when I mean the Implies attribute of a tag, and “imply, implications” when something actually implies something else.

Aliases are pretty clear to me after some asking around: when you search for, or tag with a tag A that is an alias of a canonical tag T, A is replaced with T in your query, and things proceed like it has been there since the very beginning.

What I thought about tag-implication: you have a narrowing tag T, say “one male focus” which distinguish pics with multiple males and females males-in-focus females-off-focus, from pics with multiple males and females females-off-focus males-off-focus except of one male. The tag T should tag-imply “male” and “one focus”, coz those are natural parts of T’s meaning and thus will be present on pics tagged with T, while the tag T gives its tag-implied tags a new meaning as a group.

What tag-implication looks like to me from your explanation: you have a narrowing tag T, “appledash”, and most of pictures you tag with T, you also tag with I1, I2, …, In (“aj”, “rd”, “shipping”, etc.); you put In tags to T’s tag-implications, so most of the time you simply put that combo-tag, and it adds everything you need. And say when you tag “appledash” a pic where RD is a male, you simply remove “lesbian” after that.

What tag-implication looks like to me from my experience on the site: people see appledash, tag it “appledash”, give no buck about tag-implications that have just jumped in that very instant, and move on. Or they tag “implied appledash” as “appledash” and move on. Or don’t tag.

So my concept is semantical, yours and some users’ is ergonomical, and other users’ is careless.

If a tag is only implied, we do not imply it.
That’s why I’ve introduced my “tag-imply, tag-implications” ))

We are using one word in multiple ways, and it is important to remember the context of the use of the word.
That’s why I’d like to see more tags described, because not all users are native Englings, and even native Englings sometimes misuse tags in all their innocence (I might’ve arbitrarily extended the scope of words which context you advise to keep in mind).

On this site, you are never going to get the perfect situation
Oh, never say “never” x)

My humble request thread
Well, it’s a thread yet to be started. Sadly for me, it’s not related to Philomena development. I simply want to suggest improving (as I see it, lol) the site documentation (specifically, Tag Guidelines) to make implicit tagging concepts more explicit (so the things I had to ask about be written and available publicly).

This is not a dictionary site.
Please document tags. Mistagging arises from, among other things, various people understanding words in a different way.

if you are reaching for a translation dictionary to find out what a word means, you are probably going to be confused
I will be probably confused anyway, so I’d better have a base for a “differential analysis” )

@Derpy Whooves  
Since the person who created that thread did so anonymously
As a side note, I don’t know whether anonymous posts (by a non-authenticated user) differ from “anonymized” posts (by a authenticated user via “post anonymous” function), or whether both are possible.. that thread was what I had found in regards to the nudity theme, and the situation as a whole, when a tag that separated complete nudity from partial, was redirected to the tag that meant non-specified level of nudity. I look at that thread critically, but that guy’s pain seems not unlike mine x)

P. S. Hm, it took me some time to put my thoughts together. Thanks for your time too )
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
What tag-implication looks like to me from my experience on the site: people see appledash, tag it “appledash”, give no buck about tag-implications that have just jumped in that very instant, and move on. Or they tag “implied appledash” as “appledash” and move on. Or don’t tag.

Anyone who has a repeated behavior of doing this should be reported. We do ban people who persistently do this. Just like we ban people who persistently tag images as “AppleDash” when there is no shipping in the image.

But we depend on people like yourself to report these situations when you see it. So if you see people doing this, please report the image or the person doing it for Rule #2, and in the text field for the report please let us know what you believe the problem is. We’re looking at Rule #2 reports on a daily basis. They’re one of the most frequent reports we get, and we’ve got volunteers who specialize in these kinds of tagging issues.

Just for note, I’m not one of those people.

And, yes, you are right. I am trying to focus on the practical meanings of tags being aliased, or tags being implied, by the system.

They are tools that I use to do my “what I do” here. Without them I couldn’t do “what I do”.

So, for me, if a tag implies another tag, the system will automatically add it. We use this feature to aid in tagging common tags (again, not something I am really involved with).

If a tag is aliased, the system will automatically replace the aliased tag with the alias’s target. We use this feature to aggregate common tags, or to substitute tags with tags that are more accurate, canonical, or officially recognized either by Hasbro or by the community on this site. For example, when an artist changes their name. This is mostly what I do with aliasing, and it might surprise you to find out that it can sometimes take days to successfully complete a single aliasing. It’s usually pretty straight forward, but can be very non-trivial.

I think it’s also worth noting, because you’ve brought this up - we almost never remove tags from the system - we try to handle them in ways that preserves their history, especially where watches, filters, etc, are concerned - and that aggregates them into more appropriate tags.

History is important. We want to preserve information. Even if it’s wrong.

That’s why I’d like to see more tags described, because not all users are native Englings, and even native Englings sometimes misuse tags in all their innocence (I might’ve arbitrarily extended the scope of words which context you advise to keep in mind).
わかります。 大丈夫でしょ。

Not everyone here is fluent in English, or even uses it frequently. But we try to make do, and we remember that everyone here is a fan and is worth listening to (even if it is sometimes very difficult to communicate with each other).

And, even for native speakers of English, it is still sometimes very difficult to communicate effectively.

That’s why I’d like to see more tags described
One problem with doing this is that adding a description to a tag conveys an “official definition” to the tag.

You may have noticed that we’ll add descriptions to OCs at the drop of a hat - because that’s the OC’s creator call, their words, their description. No one is going to open reports based on it, no one is going to flip tables, sue the site, or threaten to murder any of the volunteers helping to keep the site running because of the content of the description of that OC’s tag.

But defining any of the other tags on the site is a process that sometimes can take weeks, months, or even years. There’s one tag that I added what I thought was the simplest of possible definitions to many years ago.

And that description is still being debated and about once or twice a year it becomes another weeks long discussion.

Because words are important. And when you are working with community consensus, it is rare that the consensus doesn’t change.

Just look at the definition of the tags “Infidelity” or “Rape”. You’d think those would be easy to define, right?

This is not a dictionary site.
Please document tags. Mistagging arises from, among other things, various people understanding words in a different way.

Where it is appropriate and useful and necessary, sure, of course. We do that already. Even though sometimes it takes years to agree on a definition.

But I challenge you: Define “Vore”.

If you search for it, you’ll see that we have a definition for it, but that’s a working definition. And it’s probably one of the best examples of why perfectly defining terms where no one disagrees or everyone is at least equally ok with the result can be almost impossible.

I think for a global fan-run website with as many active users as this site has, that has been around for so long as this site has been around, we’re doing pretty well. And for most tags that don’t have a definition, looking at the image search results itself can show “the scope” for the definition of the term (which, in some cases, can be enormous).

Is it perfect?

Nope.

But it’s like our rules.

full
Brokedownandmadeone
Non-Fungible Trixie -

BigThirsty ponybooru.org
@Brokedownandmadeone
So, you tag an image, implied tags jump in, and you see one implication is not applicable to the image; you remove it and it’s simply gone?
What ‘bout nudity and partial nudity? How’d you explain these?
Ye. The system won’t re-apply it a 2nd time if you remove the auto-inserted implied tags. An example:  
Add the shirt tag. It auto-implies clothes. Remove clothes tag, and any further tag additions won’t re-add the clothes tag. (I think if you add something else that would imply it, it’ll re-add it though)

I’m not 100% sure, but I think nudity and partial nudity are used in tandem. Because they’re still nude, just not fully nude.  
As an aside, I think the relaxed term you were looking for was “How d’you”, because “How’d” means “how did”.
Blackie Wiremane
Artist -

Kody's dark side
@Derpy Whooves  
So, let me sumorize summarize my insight into the tag thing.

Tag aliases are to funnel various short notations, common misspellings, some historical forms, into a canonical tag.

Tag implications are a so-to-say umbrella template that pre-adds highly-expected tags to save the tagger’s time. The tagger must then remove those pre-added tags they see inapplicable to the image being tagged. Failing to do that is a crime, and a failing person must be reported and prosecuted asap. Well, not too darkish.

わかります。 大丈夫でしょ。
I wonder whether the hiragana here is just a quote, or has a personal connection to you.

adding a description to a tag conveys an “official definition” to the tag
Like it’s something bad ) You say there’s a tag which’s description is still being debated; but I daresay, with no description there wouldn’t be even that )

I challenge you: Define “Vore”.
Ah, but that’s simple: vore is vorarephilia! ^___^  
Ok, seriously. As the term has been massively cultivated in the furry community, I see its logical to go off of their language ( WikiFur, E621 ); the local definition is fairly good too. So I’d say “vore = a living thing being mostly inside another one. | A character, fully or partially, being consumed, eaten, inserted in, sucked in and so on by another character, usually from either end of the latter’s digestion tract, or into their genitals or breasts. May or may not include the consumed character getting dissolved or otherways transformed.”

Ponies of the Caribbean, huh ))

By the way, I think we’ve derailed away from our penises (not saying I don’t appreciate your lecture on tagging: I appreciate). Would you approve such definitions?:

“180 penis” (“180-degree penis”) = An erected penis facing opposite to its owner’s head end. | A character has their erected penis facing opposite to its natural chest-ward direction, usually while laying on belly, or the penis being pulled with a rope or other external force.

“90 penis” (“90-degree penis”) = An erected penis perpendicular to its owner’s belly. | A character has their erected penis declined half-way towards the opposite of its natural chest-ward direction, usually held there by their thighs, gravity (?), or some obstacle.

D’you know existing tags for a penis held behind by its owner’s thighs? And a gerenal “penis bent behind/backwards” tag?

Ah, and how should I (and you) react to tags that are obvious misspelling? I understand the conception of a “common misspelling”, but not having around every combinatory permutation of the right tag. ( Look for “fem”/“fam” here ) Why ain’t they removed, for history? It’s like a minefield.

Would be educative to have have a tag suggestion system (suggesting existing tags similar to a nonexisting tag), but this is a separate technical matter.

@Brokedownandmadeone  
Nice note. Well, the contracted form implied “how would”, and googling right now says it is a thing. Tbh, it was simply too late and me being lazy enough to be unable to type 4 more symbols, so I gave it a shot. You be the judge :)
saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

extra fun at parties
@Blackie Wiremane  
The Japanese is just part of their response to you, rendered in Japanese. There’s no one direct equivalent but I personally might say the same thing in conversational English as “I know, it’s ok.”
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@Blackie Wiremane  
I’m not going to try to impose my own definition - I have other priorities (there’s other stuff that’s way more on fire right now I think) and also feel things like this need to be based on community consensus as much as possible. And I don’t see any community consensus.

I’m just answering your question as to why no one has acted on it yet … I might be the only volunteer who is aware of this thread.
Blackie Wiremane
Artist -

Kody's dark side
I don’t see any community consensus
And I barely see any (discussing) communiy at the forum ‘x) I may be exaggerating, plus it’s individual threads vs general threads, plus it’s a booru, not a wiki, in the first place. Like in that anecdote, “No time to think, gotta throw!”

Is it allowed to promote proposal threads, say, on Derpi’s Discord? On what terms?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide