Implications for "short pants" and "short jeans"

Litrojia
Cottonwood Kindle - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artistic Detective - For hunting down artist when their names have changed
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

I’m confused about “short pants”. Is it meant for pants longer than shorts (in which case some images would need to be retagged and a clear distinction drawn), or can they be aliased?
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@Litrojia  
The way I tagged my two Rainbow Dash vectors, the way it makes sense to me, is precisely “pants longer than shorts” and distinct from shorts, yes. In which case, some images would indeed need to be retagged.

The length I’m certain qualifies as short pants would cover the knees but not much more, like Rainbow here;  

With all the others save for Fluttershy being the actual shorts. A (very) quick look at Wikipedia tells me that anything above the knees is that, including when it’s right above the knees.

Which would make short pants anywhere from under the knees to above the ankles, since that one would qualify for the regular pants.

That’d be an important disctinction to draw, including whether it’d actually be useful for browsing purposes to begin with, so it’d be nice to see more opinions than just mine weighing in.

Thanks for the work as always, by the way!
Litrojia
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

That makes sense. I added the first two implications you suggested, gave “short pants” a description (“Pants longer than shorts, but not full-length”), and retagged some images. I didn’t add short jeans -> short pants though because a lot of those are shorts-length jeans.

I think this is a useful tag. Defining minimum and maximum pants length for the tag might be a fool’s errand though, since the various leg anatomies and poses of characters on this site makes comparisons tricky.

And thank you for your tagging suggestions! It helps a lot.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@Litrojia  
Nice to know I’m helping!

Rainbow Dash’s casual cruise outfit alone would account for many short pants that aren’t short jeans. It’s just that, for some reason, screencaps for Spring Breakdown and I’m On A Yacht are severely undertagged. Most of them don’t have any clothes tag, much less “pants.” And many only have “female” because deactivateda0841fe took some of their time to go and add that minimum requirement to several screencaps six months ago.

And that’s just screencaps. Fanarts obviously have no reason to restrict themselves to only short jeans.

Making short jeans imply neither short pants nor jeans* feels wrong to me. That’s two additional tags to include when uploading something, for no reason. If someone tags only short jeans, because they assumed the implication was there or forgot the other two, then their uploads won’t show up for someone who’s browsing only “jeans” or “short pants…” whether they were looking specifically for “short jeans” or not.

‘Correct’ length would probably be closer to eyeballing, yeah. Still likely to give more accuracy to browsing, especially that tags can always be changed.

• That one seems to be an oversight from what you replied, though.
Litrojia
Tree of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Knight of the Raven  
That’s a matter of people dumping screencaps without taking much time to tag them. In addition, clothing tags are a low priority for uploaders, so it’s no surprise that those are commonly missed. Even common tags like “female” get missed a lot, which is the reason why you see that tag added in the tag histories (that user was a staff member who tagged hundreds of thousands of images with that tag… pretty crazy even with staff tools).

Also, you’re right that I forgot to set that “short jeans” -> “jeans” implication. Got it now.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide