General Tag Discussion

JP
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

I miss the show so much
Whoa what all those tags?! 🤯😱
Misspellings. Since the first use of a tag also creates it, all (saved) typos create new tags in the system. It’s possible to remove them, but that’s rarely done. It’s more common to either just leave them there, or alias “invalid” tags to the correct one.
The oc only tag already has a few misspelling aliases at the moment (oconly and co only). Hopefully it’ll soon have more.
🂾𝕃𝕚𝕟𝕔𝕠𝕝𝕟𝔹𝕣𝕖𝕨𝕤𝕥𝕖𝕣𝔽𝕒𝕟🂽
Best Fans Forever - For supporting the site
Best Fans Forever - For supporting the site
Nocturnal Vision - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Goodbye guys ;)
Whoa what all those tags?! 🤯😱
Misspellings. Since the first use of a tag also creates it, all (saved) typos create new tags in the system. It’s possible to remove them, but that’s rarely done. It’s more common to either just leave them there, or alias “invalid” tags to the correct one.
The oc only tag already has a few misspelling aliases at the moment (oconly and co only). Hopefully it’ll soon have more.
I know thanks :)
That’s a lot of misspelled tags though :o
Background Pony #894E
Why do so many tags alias to vaguer, less accurate versions? Like, “reasonably sized crotchboobs” aliases to “teats”, “marecunt” aliases to “anatomically correct”, and “transparent clothing” aliases to “see-through”. Why don’t we make the “canonical” aliases the ones that actually describe what the tags are for?
Background Pony #52BA
@Background Pony #894E
Some are artifacts from older/more popular usage, under the assumption that once a particular name or phrasing has embedded itself into fandom culture, it becomes the more intuitive and recognizable term. Of course, aliasing resolves this by substituting itself in searches and filters…
For the specific examples you listed, I’d argue that you have it backwards. “reasonably sized crotchboobs” is almost nonsense; “reasonably” is a meaningless word when applied to measures. Using the more anatomical term reinforces the relation to real-world proportions. “transparent clothing” is less inclusive than “see-through” because, for example, a wet t-shirt is not transparent but still reveals details when it’s in direct contact with skin: “see-through”. “transparent clothing” is also mildly ambiguous, because it could be thought of as only for clothing that is always transparent and not circumstantially/temporarily transparent. (Although, now that I write that out, a dedicated tag for designed-transparent clothing could be interesting!)
Agreed, however, that “anatomically correct” is a bad term - I’m pretty sure it’s one of those aforementioned fandom artifacts - but “marecunt” is also dumb.
Background Pony #25F4
@Background Pony #52BA
How is “reasonably sized crotchboobs” any less meaningful than “reasonably sized penis” or “sensibly-proportioned pregnancy”?
I know for a fact that “teats” causes confusion, as I’m constantly needing to remove it from images like >>2922914. Plus, the idiosyncratic use of the term means imports from places like e621 commonly end up mistagged.
Also, if “see-through” is only intended for clothing, why not “see-through clothing”?
Blissful690
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

Violet Frost Fan
Even though she officially became Dragon Lord at the end of the episode she first appeared in, Ember is still tagged as princess ember rather than dragon lord ember. It’s been six years. Why hasn’t the tag been aliased since then?
Background Pony #52BA
How is “reasonably sized crotchboobs” any less meaningful than “reasonably sized penis” or “sensibly-proportioned pregnancy”?
Those are also badly-named tags, and I don’t think it supports your argument considering they have 50x fewer posts tagged than teats, and that about 1/3 of crotchboobs are tagged teats while fewer than 1/100 pregnant are tagged sensibly-proportioned pregnancy and 1/1000 penis are reasonably sized penis
I know for a fact that “teats” causes confusion, as I’m constantly needing to remove it from images like >>2922914. Plus, the idiosyncratic use of the term means imports from places like e621 commonly end up mistagged.
That’s a fair argument and I might agree with it. It’s not what your original post was about nor what I replied to, though.
Also, if “see-through” is only intended for clothing, why not “see-through clothing”?
That sounds like a good change, it makes it more immediately understandable.
It appears the alias was originally set up the other way around because at the time, “see-through” was used way more.

Even though she officially became Dragon Lord at the end of the episode she first appeared in, Ember is still tagged as princess ember rather than dragon lord ember. It’s been six years. Why hasn’t the tag been aliased since then?
The description of the tag dragon lord ember explains why they’re separate and when to use each.
Background Pony #52BA
Should there be created a sub-tag of six fanarts for the “six ponies” variant?
Furthermore, if so, should the tag get used for “six fanarts” images where all six are ponies, but the template was not edited to say “six ponies”?
Anyone with thoughts about my question from 3 months ago?

Are there tags for the mane six’s self-designed gala dresses from Suited For Success? Either collectively (eg. “fail gala dress” or something) or individually? I found the extremely underused constellation dress for Twilight’s, and that’s it.
Or this one?
Background Pony #7C7A
Should there be created a sub-tag of six fanarts for the “six ponies” variant?
If you feel such a tag is useful, why not create it?
Furthermore, if so, should the tag get used for “six fanarts” images where all six are ponies, but the template was not edited to say “six ponies”?
I think yes. After all, ponies are the point, not the text.
Are there tags for the mane six’s self-designed gala dresses from Suited For Success? Either collectively (eg. “fail gala dress” or something) or individually? I found the extremely underused constellation dress for Twilight’s, and that’s it.
If no one answered you, it’s because they know of no such tags, but they can’t be sure that such tags don’t exist. If you need these tags, create them. If it turns out there already were tags for those dresses, they can always be aliased.
rautamiekka
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

@Background Pony #52BA
If no one answered you, it’s because they know of no such tags, but they can’t be sure that such tags don’t exist. If you need these tags, create them. If it turns out there already were tags for those dresses, they can always be aliased.
Remember to use the Tags page, it’s similar to the main search function but can access what the main one can’t, and vice versa, specializing in only listing the keywords instead of the art. In both cases the asterisk * (“anything can go here”) operator will be near-mandatory to find something.
^ You can further filter the results by removing existing-but-unused ones with images.gt:0 cuz there tends to be so many unused ones that they spam up the results.
Background Pony #52BA
If you feel such a tag is useful, why not create it?
Tags are not to be used as substitutes for galleries, ie. not for things only one person thinks about. Sure, people might realize they care about something only after seeing there’s a tag for it, but for something like this I’d only go to the effort to start tagging it if there’s a sign that it matters at all. Hence, asking in this thread.
That’s only one of several reasons a post might not have been replied to. Anyway, I might…
Background Pony #7C7A
Tags are not to be used as substitutes for galleries, ie. not for things only one person thinks about.
This is true. But it doesn’t mean that you have to propose each new tag in this thread. If the tag is obviously useful and directly describes something in the image (is not opinion-based), you can just create it. I created few tags myself, some of them now have over 2000 images, some of them have only few images.
saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

extra fun at parties
@Shimmering Spectacle
There’s only so many distinct colours that will not break eyes and work on both dark and light theme. Species tags for background elements would be so very wasteful.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide