General Tag Discussion

Background Pony #7C7A
@icicle wicicle 1517
The question is: are anonfilly and femanon just anon variants or separate OCs?

By the way, the description of oc:anon states:
Most commonly represented by a bald green-skinned humanoid with a “?” for a face and wearing a suit and tie, but applies to any human (or pony) character meant to represent an arbitrary Internet user.
I would say that “anon” should be for any generic person stand-in, while “oc:anon” should be specifically for the green-skinned dude in a suit. Then, “oc:anon” would imply “anon”. So would “oc:anonfilly”, etc. “oc:generic messy hair anime anon” would also imply “anon”.
Background Pony #91C5
NSFW
Creo que podría haber algún problema con las etiquetas en esta imagen: https://derpibooru.org/images/1538076
¿Por qué no puedo agregarle la etiqueta “cementerio de comentarios”? ¿Mi sitio está roto o los servidores están rotos? ¿O tanto el sitio como los servidores están rotos?
Background Pony #91C5
@Blissful690
Oh, lo siento.
Aquí está la traducción al inglés:
NSFW
I think there might be something wrong with the labels in this image: https://derpibooru.org/images/1538076
Why can’t I add the “comment graveyard” tag to it? Is my site broken or are the servers broken? Or are both the site and the servers broken?
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Background Pony #91C5
Because a tag vandal wouldn’t leave the image alone. The tag you wish to add is meta to the image - it doesn’t describe the image itself or make the content of the image itself more findable, so it’s not worth unlocking for that.
Background Pony #91C5
@Ciaran
Oh, pensé que podría agregarse allí ya que hay muchos comentarios eliminados. ¿Por qué se eliminan de todos modos y de qué etiqueta de vandalismo estás hablando?
Background Pony #91C5
@Ciaran
Lo revisé y debo decir, ¿estás seguro de que lo que sucedió realmente fue vandalismo? Cuando escuché la palabra vandalismo pensé que era un gran lío de etiquetas, pero no lo es. Es solo que algunas personas agregan o eliminan una cantidad muy pequeña. ¿Cómo puede un pequeño desacuerdo como ese igualar el vandalismo? No quiero sonar como si estuviera comenzando una discusión, solo tengo curiosidad.
🐴
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
Should I watch it for the plot be treated as or imply butt focus? Its existing use precludes an implication of screencap, as it is also used on fanmade redrawings of scenes from the show.
Ciaran
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@PUBLIQclopAccountant
Hmmm … that is a little on the nose, don’t you think?
Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s a good idea, if purely from a data slicing standpoint.
But I watch it for the plot to me feels less like something as ordered and objective as butt focus, which I think is a tag that more people can easily agree on.
I watch it for the plot feels more subjective. Like the difference between identifying whether or not a particular rock is a gemstone, or a Diamond in the rough.
They are, arguably, the same thing. But I feel like I watch it for the plot is a step above. Rarer and more memorable and perhaps more fandom defining.
It’s not just focusing on a butt. It is why I watch the show.
Having it imply butt focus might really be a good idea. But in the category of images that have a focus on the butt, I feel like there are very few that are I watch it for the plot.
… I might have lost track of the point you were trying to make. With so much butt, it’s hard to focus.
🐴
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
@Ciaran
IMO, I watch it for the plot, although it is coincident with butt focus about 80% of the time probably shouldn’t have the implication for the remaining 20%. There are plenty of watch it for the plot moments where no particular plot is the focus—just lots and lots of plot on screen at once.
Since it has no “official” definition on its tag page, I’ll try to define what counts as I watch it for the plot through example.

Counts

• Screencaps (still or motion) from the show/movies/comics that have an undue emphasis on plot. May be crowd shots where the ponies all face away from the camera in addition to screen grabs worthy of a butt focus tag.
  • Drawings directly inspired by the above screenshots.

Does not count

Unsure, and unlikely to be worth making an official ruling on

• Plot-heavy moments in fan animations

That sure was a lot of overthinking horse butt. All driven by the fact that the query I used to find I watch it for the plot candidates returned 4500 results. I put the G5 exclusion in there simply because FiM screencaps are easier to recognize in bulk for this tag. If someone suggests a more focused query for me [a.k.a. returns far fewer than 4500 results], I’ll let G5 in and tag those plot-watching moments, too.
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
It makes me warm, deep inside, that we are putting such careful thought into, and using maths to understand, butts.
This is a good day.
TeaLeaf
Artist -

I tried to poke around but didn’t see any discussion. If it’s discussed elsewhere, I’d love to know.
Artist vs Editor tags. I see Artist tags used the most frequently, likely out of habit, but I do see some people (Quoterific) who have Editor tags. Should I be changing Artist tags on images at all? Some things, like pasted vectors with text, are clearly simply edits. If someone has been using fill bucket over vectors with no additional drawing, that feels like an edit to me, is this correct, or would the Artist tag be more appropriate?
If someone has screenshot something and has an Artist tag, should this be changed to Photographer, or simply removed?
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@TeaLeaf
For me, just from the perspective of copyright and takedown requests, working out tracing allegations and things like that, artist implies copyright, it means it is a unique work owned by the verified owner of the tag.
To be the verified owner of the tag you have to go through the artist verification process, which presumes that you have some portfolio - a body of work against which your claim is verified.
Artist tags can have Do Not Post restrictions.
Edit Means the work is derivative. The copyright is subject to the copyright it is derivative of, the original artist can always ask for the takedown of any derivative works (assuming … there are ways that doesn’t work, like if the original artist licensed the work under CC0, or made a public ‘free to use and edit’ statement, etc).
Anyone doing Edits may create their own editor tag. This is great because them others can filter or watch their works. Editor tags aren’t ‘verified’ but we can add them to your artist links on your profile if you want.
Things like base used are often derivative edits unless they are somehow transformative, as are color swaps or image macros things like that.
Some artists have both artist and editor tags. I do, and use the editor tag on any image where I’m not claiming any copyright, but feel like the image should be filterable or searchable for some reason, like when I edit the background out of someone’s OC for the collaboration.
But I also use my artist tag on edits where it feels like I’m creating a different work than the original artist did. Like when I add a body or legs to an OC drawing to make it a complete figure - again, usually for the collaboration.
So, artist infers copyright, and we have a lot of internal processes that depend on or leverage it. And editor does not.
And because photographs are copyrightable, the artist tag applies for the, as well.
In practice, it’s best not to change anyone else’s editor or artist tags. If you see something that looks wrong, please report it instead.
We often don’t do that ourselves without notifying the artist or editor, and making sure they change isn’t going to cause some other problem, like offsite links or their branding choices.
Especially if an artist tag should be changed to an editor, or vise-versa, let us do that - we can do it in a way where filters and watches people may have set up will be automatically preserved when the tag changes. And we can make sure any copyright issues are untangled before doing it.
And, some people have grandfathered artist tags from before we really had an editor tag. Leaving those in place is usually safer, because you don’t always know what things are attached to. Things like descriptions or links from other sites may be affected.
The last thing we want to do is break someone’s resume or links to their work her from other sites just because of a tag here.
And, figuring out if something is an edit or an original art can cause a lot of drama for everyone involved. So, if you see something like that, please report it or you can send me a PM.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide