General Tag Discussion

LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@PUBLIQclopAccountant
More over-complication. Again, tags are not and should not ever be created or designed to cater to specific characters doing specific things, that is not what tags are. Go to literally any other booru, that isn’t a fork of this one, and you won’t see anything like “Busty Krystal” or “Simba’s sexy fat ass” as tags. Obviously I, nor anyone, can stop people from making tags like this, but then that also doesn’t mean we need to cater to them or change the entire tagging system just so someone can search for ONLY spike getting middle fingered as opposed to seeing twilight in an image with spike getting it.
Tags are not for that, tags are for what is in the image within limit. If people cannot deal with the idea that no tag search will be 100% accurate to ONLY what they desire, then that is just too bad.
And the reason pony races don’t imply pony, anthro, that’s why. it’s annoying as shit and will some day be changed, but anyway. And rule 63 and otherwise is the reason for character tags not implying things either.
saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

extra fun at parties
@NICOGAMER3000
Any image where there’s a good view of hooves is good to be tagged. If hooves are a focus, hoof focus can be added as well. Images where hooves are present but in a minuscule way (tiny, mostly obscured, faintly visible in shade etc.) ought not be tagged.
PUBLIQclopAccountant
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
@saby
On a similar note, I’ve noticed that the unicorn tag does not imply horn. Is this like the conversation we (and @LightningBolt) had yesterday, where there are too many pictures of unicorns that do not have a visible horn to be worthy of the horn tag?
In my head, uploaders manually tagging horn on an image already tagged as unicorn feels redundant even if it is not actually redundant under the current system of tag aliases and implications. However, spread wings and folded wings on pictures of flying creatures do not share this feeling of redundancy.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@PUBLIQclopAccountant
Horn and wings are optional tags and not as important compared to most other tags.
But they are still more important than ‘sexy’ or ‘butt’ tags as they are objective and not redundant.
Plus other things can have hons or wings.
Background Pony #52BA
Is is valid to tag mermaid/mermaidized in combination with other species, like human/humanized - to specify the form of the upper body?

Many posts tagged under artist:龙宠 have some bizarre combinations of species tags - several with human and anthro simultaneously, and some truly mind-bending combos like “dragon, human, mermaid, anthro” (solo) and “centaur, human, kirin, mermaid, anthro” (solo). Could I get some additional opinions on how they should be corrected, especially on the “eared/horned/etc. human” vs. “anthro” aspect?
Background Pony #52BA
If an artist posts a drawing of a hornless pony with raven’s (unicorn)/writing desk’s (earth pony) design, but writes the character’s identity as Raven, should it be tagged “raven, missing horn” or “writing desk”?
For example, >>2703791 or >>2739265 (you can see the sources specify the hornless pony as “raven inkwell” in each case)
radpanic
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

never big enough
@NICOGAMER3000
Yes, those tags are based on h x w being greater than or equal to a particular value, regardless of how long h and w are individually. So your example would count as “high res”—or to get even more absurd, even a 10 x 400,000 px image would be “high res”.
Brainless-Mind

For the past several weeks, I have been bringing this tag up to speed and created a new tag to go alongside it:
I have been using the first tag for instances where a tail hole can clearly be seen or the outline/implications of one are present.
I have been using the second one (which I made) for times where a tail can be seen protruding from clothing, but there is no implication of a hole present.
Have I been using these tags in the correct manner?
Background Pony #52BA
@Brainless-Mind
I interpret it as either: orgasm from breast stimulation alone, or alternately, ejaculation-like reflex to spray milk during an otherwise ordinary orgasm.
Which is, exactly as you said, up to interpretation, so it didn’t seem like I had anything worthwhile to add (like, a simple definition or anything of the sort).
Background Pony #52BA
@PUBLIQclopAccountant
IMO nuzzling in general is defined by being a pushing and rubbing of one’s face and head into and against the subject of affection. If this happens to target the neck, it could be neck nuzzling.
IMO hugging is defined by any sort of grabbing, opposed-pressing, enclosing kind of motion - to lean one’s head upon a shoulder, thus sort-of enclosing the shoulder between your head and shoulder as well, or the traditional inward-pressing arms, or to lean bodily upon someone else and sort of bring your arms up just at the sides, all still kind of fulfill the wrap/enclose/press inward philosophies of hugging. With longer-necked creatures, this can get even more inventive, potentially overlapping with nuzzling, but would need to maintain the partially-enclose/compress attributes of a hug.
tl;dr They sound like separate behaviors and their tags look like they need cleanup.
saby
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

extra fun at parties
@Background Pony #52BA
Well, orgasmic lactation and climax from breast stimulation alone are quite different and should be separate tags. “Breast orgasm” sounds more like the latter to me.
PUBLIQclopAccountant
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
@Background Pony #0299
When I think of horses giving one another a neck hug, I think of the behavior that @saby showed as the example more so than the image you used to define “neck hug”. I think of it as hugging with the neck, not the neck being the target of the hug.
@Background Pony #52BA
The other BP seems to agree that they are separate behaviors. Perhaps a definition and cleanup is in order.
NeutronStar
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

I’d like to ask for people’s opinion on this explicit art’s incorrect tagging:
There are tags like: crotchboobs, nipples, nipple bite
But in reality there are no nipples or crotchboobs in that picture, it’s just a red bite mark because of Luna’s biting.
It’s supposed to be stretched skin there around that mark.
Besides, this artwork was created during the early years of the G4 show, and back then people often got confused about ponies having colorful fur, and sometimes interpreted it as a colorful skin instead, because of the simplicity of animation style.
My main two arguments about the incorrect tagging of this picture are:
  1. This particular artist, artist:illuminatiums , never had crotchboobs in their arts. The only few that are found, are edits made by some other people, adding those crotchboobs, and this particular picture of course.
  2. In this artwork you can clearly see the belly areas of some other ponies, where those crotchboobs could be visible, but there are none on anypony. So that should again prove that what we see on Celestia there is just a bite mark.
So, would it be correct to remove those incorrect tags (while adding a bite mark tag)?
What do you think?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide