General Tag Discussion

saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

extra fun at parties
@Knight of the Raven  
re: off shoulder  
AFAIK it’s either  
a) when a part of clothing that’s expected to be worn on the shoulder has slipped off the shoulder, or  
b) when the bodice of a top featuring straps/sleeves has been designed to not cover the shoulders, and hence is worn “off shoulder” by default

re: overtagging

Here’s my personal algorithm for anything that isn’t explicitly required by site rules:  
  • Do people have strong opinions or preferences about not seeing it? (Like fetishes, RL politics, oc, 3d, slurs, duckposting, hyper anatomy, shipping dominos, picture for breezies, irl etc.) Always tag.  
  • Are there actual health reasons for filtering it? (Like seizure warning, eyestrain warning, and other accessibility tags.) Always tag.  
  • Is it a central focus or a main theme in the piece? Always tag.  
  • Is is visually apparent, i.e. within focus, not obscured by other elements, and not minuscule in proportion to the area of the main image?  
    —> If it’s overwhelmingly omnipresent (like “eyes” or “tail”)? Don’t tagunless you can make a more meaningful distinction (like “bedroom eyes” or “tail seduce”).  
    —> If it’s not omnipresent, probably tag.  
  • Is it non-thematic (like a clothing item), visually present but hard to spot and/or impossible to recognise without prior or contextual info? Probably don’t tag.  
    —> However if it’s thematic (like whether a chaste hug is platonic or romantic), site policy seems to go with artist’s intention.

In short, I recommend not tagging things that are:  
  • ultradefault for a creature UNLESS it’s a main focus/theme/topic  
    – so tagging “butt” on every picture with a bebutted characterno, tagging “butt” on a picture that zooms in or otherwise emphasizes the buttdefinitely  
    – I’d also like to say tagging “hat” on every picture with even a sliver of “Titanic Rarity”… probably don’t  
  • obscure or barely in the picture.
Background Pony #7C7A
  • default for a creature or character UNLESS it’s a main focus/theme/topic

I understand it, given the current plaintext tagging system. However it has a downside: if I want to see cute ponies in hats, I won’t see AJ in the results because images with her are not tagged “hat” (as wearing a hat is her default).

It could be fixed by having a better tag system that can be used to reason about the tags. For example:  
  • If Applejack is present in the image and “<Applejack> <instance of> <MLP pony>”, the system would reason that the “<image> <depicts> <MLP pony>” tag applies (and doesn’t need to be added manually by the user).  
  • When AJ is wearing a hat, it’s likely “Applejack's hat” and the system would ask the user to confirm.

Similarly, it could intelligently collapse redundant tags, for example:  
  • If a picture is tagged “<Applejack> <is wearing> <Applejack's hat>” and the system knows she’s usually wearing it, then the hat-related tags can be hidden, as they are expected, and only the “<image> <depicts> <Applejack>” tag would be visible by default.

I keep dreaming about a “multibooru” metadata system for IPFS which in theory would be able to describe all media (and other files too) on the Internet in a coherent way. Entities and their relations could be pulled from Wikidata and some of the metadata about files could be pulled from various existing websites (boorus, wikias, Thingiverse, VirusTotal, etc.)
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
  • default for a creature or character UNLESS it’s a main focus/theme/topic
    – I’d also like to say tagging “hat” on every picture with even a sliver of “Titanic Rarity”… probably don’t

Umm, no, I’m gonna tag every pegasus with wings because it is actually useful and these arbitrary rules help no one.

Do not follow this advice. It is not ‘overtagging’ to tag pegasi with wings. It is also not overtagging to tag hat on images of Trixie wearing her hat. It is actually…useful.

Sure, don’t tag 5 pixels of Raindrops’ main sticking from out of frame, and don’t tag butt on characters that barely show it (same for breasts!) but the ones I highlighted, no, don’t follow this advice.

Overtagging has nothing to do with basic things that are useful. Do you know how NICE it would be to look for art refs if people just tagged genders and wings/horns more often? I’d not have to make up annoying useless searches for it. Don’t discourage people tagging ‘default body parts’ for species please.
saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

extra fun at parties
@LightningBolt  
I may have condradicted what I intended to say… you’re not gonna tag “eyes” on pm 99,99% of the images on this site are you? Or “animal ears” on every animal, pony, and most anthro? That’s what I meant with “default to the creature”. Maybe it’s more of a “super default”.
Background Pony #BB62
Dear mods & admins of Derpibooru i have a question. Could you pertty please make these tags principal celestia, vice principal luna, dean cadance & alumnus shining armor have their tags changed from green into blue like the tag sci-twi is. It would be more easy to navigate the booru that way, best wishes this Background Pony & thank you for your time.
Background Pony #7C7A
@Pulse Wave  
BTW if we are supposed to e.g. tag every Fluttershy picture (except for R63 and race swap ofc) with “pony”, “female” and “pegasus”, why doesn’t the “fluttershy” tag imply them?
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@saby  
No but you can tag things like wings and horns and genders… Regardless, your advice for those senetcnes was poor and unclear and should be reworded or just discarded as people with common sense will assume you mean things like wings and horn.

@Pulse Wave  
Huh?

@Background Pony #7C7A  
Because she can very easily be gender or species or race swapped and that would lead to a bigger mess than not being tagged at all.
saby
Non-Fungible Trixie -

extra fun at parties
@Background Pony #7C7A  
Because quite a lot of pictures of Fluttershy are non-pony (humanized, EQG, anthro, semi-anthro, species swap), and/or non-female, and/or non-pegasus.

fs, solo, -(male OR eqg OR humanized OR anthro OR semi-anthro OR species swap OR futa OR bat pony OR race swap) returns ~790 pages of pictures  
fs && solo && (eqg OR humanized OR species swap OR race swap OR anthro OR semi-anthro) returns ~450 pages  
fs && solo && (male OR futa) returns ~40 pages

That’s roughly a 38% of Fluttershys being not pony, not pegasus, and/or not female.

We prefer “female”, “pony”, and “pegasus” being somewhat undertagged to them being mistagged due to implication.

@LightningBolt  
yes yes doing
Pulse Wave
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

Busy procrastinating

I keep discovering images that lack these more or less rather basic tags (and I occasionally add them if they’re missing).

Until now, I’ve believed that these tags were missing because the uploader was either lazy or didn’t know that these tags exist.

But the current discussion makes it appear as if these tags were left out intentionally. Like, why tag Fluttershy “pony” if it doesn’t matter in the context of this image that she is a pony?
saby
Non-Fungible Trixie -

extra fun at parties
@Pulse Wave  
That sounds like bad faith argument. You could also leave out a character’s name, if their identity doesn’t matter in the context of the picture, like if it’s a generic horsey joke.

Character sex, identity (i.e. name), species, and bodyplan are always taggable, since they are inherent and major features in any picture featuring characters. The style of sleeve a character is wearing is not.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@Litrojia  
@saby  
@Background Pony #7C7A  
@LightningBolt  
Thanks for the help everyone.

I’ll comment on LightningBolt’s point. As a show accurate ‘kitbasher,’ I agree that thorough tagging is extremely useful when it comes to art references. Most of the ones I use for my drawings and vectors are found thanks to tags (say, for example, grin, wink and screencap combined can make me find this, even if Trixie’s smirk ends up on, say, Rainbow instead in my final picture), while the rest comes from browsing the wiki’s galleries by character.

I thought for a moment that it’d be odd to tag horn or wings on pictures of unicorns, pegasi and alicorns. I mean, that’s implied by their species, right? Unless you add something like broken horn or wingless. So it ‘should’ only be there when the horn or the wings are the focus or an important point of the picture.

Izzy Moonbow on her own wouldn’t warrant horn but her tennis ball misadventures would, basically.

Then I remembered said art references, and that someone might want to find pictures of horns across different species. For a particularly grim hunter’s trophies, perhaps? Or just to decide for themselves which design looks better for their OC. So you’d need to tag unicorns with horn, and the kirins too, and so on, so that they all show up under that tag when someone’s browsing it.

I feel clothes may be a bit messier, seeing as that can imply a lot more tags on pictures… Like, ‘all of sudden it warrants wall of tags’ kind of a lot. And I’m still suspicious of magical geodes, considering how small yet ubiquitous they are… I kept mistaking Rainbow’s for a wristwatch the whole time I watched Spring Breakdown, too. On both her casual and singing outfits.

But I guess they still should be tagged, if only for the sake of art references. “Oh, so that’s where she keeps her geode on this outfit…”

Speaking of the cruise outfits, would there be any point in differentiating between the ‘casual outfits’ and ‘party dresses?’ Considering there’s a whole whopping 39 results compared to all the Spring Breakdown-based pictures at the moment of writing this, probably not…

But Rainbow’s singing dress seems to be very popular, however badly tagged it is—several uploads don’t even have dress for crying out loud—so I’m still curious about this…

Come to think of it, cruise outfit itself might need a description at some point. With G5 around the corner, there may be many people who won’t be familiar with either Spring Breakdown or I’m on a Yacht.

Edit: I was browsing the site for uploads to tag cruise outfit (and more) on, and I stumbled upon these three pictures. Because they somehow ended up under my ‘NOT edit’ and ‘NOT screencap’ search.

Beyond adding the likes of edit and cropped, what I’m actually curious about is the line between artists and editors. Should these three be retagged editor:princesslunadashmlp or is artist:princesslunadashmlp actually correct here?

I’d tag myself as an editor if I did something like that, but I feel I should be more cautious about retagging someone else as such.
Background Pony #BB4D
In the picture >>2555623 Piunkie Pie is alone with a picture with herself and her friends. Should this be tagged solo or not?
Background Pony #BB62
@Princess Luna  
Hello Princess Luna, how are you doing this day or night. I was wondering what you thought of this idea?

@Background Pony #BB62  
Dear mods & admins of Derpibooru i have a question. Could you pertty please make these tags principal celestia, vice principal luna, dean cadance & alumnus shining armor have their tags changed from green into blue like the tag sci-twi is. It would be more easy to navigate the booru that way, best wishes this Background Pony & thank you for your time.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide