General Tag Discussion

Background Pony #B2C4
The tags gee bill and hotdog meme seem to refer to the same thing and should probably be aliased.
Blissful690
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

Violet Frost Fan
I’ve noticed a lot of older images have the tags out of order, so I would greatly appreciate it if we had a refresh of tags for all images so they display in the correct order of Error -> Rating -> Origin -> Character -> OC -> Species -> Body Type -> Fan Creations -> Official Content -> Spoiler -> Normal.
Tarkan809
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Artist -

Dragonlover, Spike Fan
I think there should be tags about Friday night funkin. Like; boyfriend (Friday night funkin), Girlfriend (Friday night funkin), Daddy dearest (Friday night funkin), Mommy must murder (Friday night funkin), Lemon monster (Friday night Funkin), etc.
Blissful690
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

Violet Frost Fan
>>1086660  
This is from back when all tags were arranged in alphabetical order, not by category. This only applies to the title of the page and not the actual tags themselves.
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
Something im wondering for a while, but if an image has a canon character and the pic has them being transgender and being the opposite sex, should it be tagged with “Rule 63” too, or only the Transgender related tags?  
(Which gets more complicated when the Transgender version also uses the common rule 63 names for characters)

Becuase i feel like there is a difference between “This is a genderswapped version of a character” and “this is a transgender version of a character”.
saby
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

extra fun at parties
@icey wicey 1517  
So…. a character depicted in opposite of their canonical sex, but being transgender and identifying and expressing their canonical gender?

Anyway I do not think transgender and R63 should overlap, unless the character originally is transgender, and both their sex and gender have been flipped. R63 is a fundamentally non-diegetic and simplistic “what if” that relies on the assumption that everything about the character remains the same except their “are you a boy or a girl” status. Unless the setting is remarkably post-cisnormative, reimagining any character as transgender necessarily changes a lot about their implied personal history, so is well beyond the scope of R63.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

I tagged my latest upload both “awkward smile” and “forced smile” because I wasn’t sure of the difference; neither had a description but there was overlap in the pictures they showed.

Then I gave both tags a better look as I posted my implication requests and I might have a better idea.

“awkward smile” seems to only show self-imposed smiles: whether a “nervous grin” (which I forgot about and may be what I should actually have been going for) or for another reason. Whereas “forced smile” has both that and characters being forced by someone else to smile (usually with their hands/hooves, but I imagine there’s some telekinetic grip in there).

Is it worth digging into this to find descriptions to discern these three from one another? I’m stumped on the difference between “awkward smile” and “nervous grin,” but I imagine there’s something to do with “forced smile.”
Litrojia
Cottonwood Kindle - For supporting the site
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artistic Detective - For hunting down artist when their names have changed
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

@Knight of the Raven  
I took a look at your implication requests before I saw this post, and I thought about the distinction between “awkward smile” and “nervous grin” as well. I also found a fourth, pretty similar tag that I may as well include: fake smile. There’s a lot of overlap between all of them, but I think each can be distinctly defined. I wrote out descriptions for each that I may add to the tags if you think they’re reasonable:

Awkward smile: A character smiling in an unnatural way.  
Nervous grin: A character’s nervousness showing through the way they smile.  
Forced smile: A character is being coerced to smile through physical or non-physical means.  
Fake smile: A character smiling unauthentically.

There are definitely images where multiple could apply. The tags are definitely messy though.
FliegerFaustToP47
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Laß mich sterben
@Knight of the Raven
I took a look at your implication requests before I saw this post, and I thought about the distinction between “awkward smile” and “nervous grin” as well. I also found a fourth, pretty similar tag that I may as well include: fake smile. There’s a lot of overlap between all of them, but I think each can be distinctly defined. I wrote out descriptions for each that I may add to the tags if you think they’re reasonable:
Awkward smile: A character smiling in an unnatural way.
Nervous grin: A character’s nervousness showing through the way they smile.
Forced smile: A character is being coerced to smile through physical or non-physical means.
Fake smile: A character smiling unauthentically.
There are definitely images where multiple could apply. The tags are definitely messy though.

Oh shet

full

Hey, just wanting to ask if I should add the tags SS-Sturmmann (Fluttershy’s rank), Schutzstaffel , Stielhandgranate, Stahlhelm and Waffen-SS on the following image (I’m not sure still how that nazi stuff it’s going on so preferably ask)

Also, this one for some reason has Hostage and Stalingrad tag, but I doubt of the two (The gun barrel next to Twilights head it’s a tank barrel, in the background, most likely Panzer 4 Ausf G/H (Tank trails on the ground). No regular rifle in service had muzzle brake other than Antitank rifles. And the background could be anywhere on the whole Eastern Front (Leningrad, Moscow, etc) or even post 1942 on the Western Front (Perhaps before the Battle of the Bulge), so, I’m going to delete them and add Wehrmacht, Stielhandgranate ans other stuff

EDIT: I swear that right now I just saw your name… “Litrojia”, your character Lit and the fire thingy. Please No ban
Litrojia
Cottonwood Kindle - For supporting the site
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artistic Detective - For hunting down artist when their names have changed
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

@FliegerFaustToP47  
Besides “SS-Sturmmann” (my gut call is that it may be too esoteric to warrant a tag), all of those terms you listed for the first image are tags that exist and are somewhat used on the site, so if think you know what you’re doing, go ahead. Same goes for the tag suggestions on the second image, though I’d caution against that because may not have been trying to be 100% accurate to a particular setting of WWII. If changing the tags gets you in a dispute over tagging with another user, report it and staff can figure it out on a case-by-case basis.

Also, being lit is just my thing 😎
FliegerFaustToP47
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Laß mich sterben
@Litrojia

Oh okay, already done, thanks for answering so quickly :D! And just checked the source, it says about the General winter (So Eastern Front) but doesn’t specify any exact location, so I removed Stalingrad.

And don t worry about it comrade!  
full

Is there any way to place the description too or just the uploader does that?

(Just realized a staff member was the one who uploaded it, I’m not going to get in trouble for messing with a staff member image right? You are my witness JIC xD)
Rainboom Dash
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!

Rainbooms4Ever
Is that a vulva I see? it’s tagged safe and not tagged vulva but I’m pretty sure I see one… but I could be mislooking at it.. wasn’t sure if to put in rating tags or here because it’s.. both

>>2544969
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@Litrojia  
I’m leaving that reflection to those with actual experience with tags; I never even looked at the forums before this year.

That said, they look good to me. The only issues I could see are issues I’d expect with any tag: “how do you define X?” But just because I can’t accurately explain to myself what “awkward,” “unnatural” or “unauthentically” really means doesn’t mean others will have the same problem.

And even if some do, accuracy is still gained either way thanks to the definitions being there in the first place.

Even if, indeed, there is much overlap.

On my subjective end, I feel all four tags suit this image. Even though, again, I couldn’t actually put into words why.

>>2042321t (merged)

On the other end of the spectrum, Twilight probably qualifies as “forced smile” only here. Going by my understanding of it as ‘conscious decision to pretend to smile,’ at least, and that’s kinda assuming both Twilight’s and DHX’s intents to boot.

Maybe intent is the key. If your goal when you made your picture was first and foremost a “nervous grin,” then that’s the tag you’re gunning for. Even if you’d forgotten it existed at the time of upload.

But again, leaving it to those with actual experience. And again again, there’s (hopefully) bound to be more accuracy either way by virtue of the descriptions being there.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide