General Tag Discussion

Brainless-Mind

I am relatively new on Derpibooru and I am still learning my way around. I cannot seem to get an answer to my question, so I am trying here. I do not know if anyone has ever enquired about this before, but I would still like to ask to avoid complications.

I read that anyone can change tags on this site as long as they follow the rules and that they know what they are doing. I read the rules and I did know what I was doing, with a slight hiccup or two which were easily corrected. Also, as far as I know, the only thing that cannot be changed is the artist listed; for that, they must be notified. Still, there is something else that is confusing me.

When I started, I did not only add and change tags to many pieces of art that I have knowledge about, but I also created new tags and rendered several useless. I did not find anything on the site about creating tags or relocating art listed under them.

What I am asking is this: did I do something wrong?

You can see many of my tag changes here (v). I apologize for the long list.  
https://derpibooru.org/profiles/Brainless-dash-Mind/tag_changes?page=52&added=
Damaged
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

Word Bug
@Brainless-Mind  
Generally, just starting out, I’d try to avoid adding brand new tags—that is, you probably want to stick to tags that already come up with numbers over about 10 when you start typing them.

I had a quick look through your tagging and it seems pretty solid. There are a few that are more a case of silly pseudonyms the site uses for things:

You tagged a few things self paradox when they should be self ponidox (read the description of the self ponidox to see if it applies instead of self paradox)  
I’m not sure if thigh reduction and butt reduction are really needed (always try to avoid making new tags or adding very low count tags).

A good way of finding tags (particularly officially curated ones) is with the tag search. For example:

This search is what I used to find the official ship name for Rainbow Dash + Rarity + Applejack.
Derpy Whooves
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@Brainless-Mind & @Damaged  
Agreed, and I would just add that for myself if I haven’t used a tag before I search the tag and look to see how it’s been used by others.

And if I add a tag to an image and the count of that tag is 1 then I know I either misspelled it, or just invented a new tag so I remove that tag from the image and search the tags for something more appropriate.

And if a tag I add has less than, say, about 100 uses on the site, I suspect that I might be using a tag that is deprecated, or one that is some vanity tag someone invented for their own use which will eventually be deleted or merged with some other tag, or a tag that is very rare and if that happens I double check that I’m using it correctly.

Generally your tagging is fine, and if you worry that you might be mistagging things just slow down, and double check how the tag’s been used in the past.

And if you’re really not sure, you can ask here.
Brainless-Mind

@Damaged  
@Derpy Whooves

Thank you for the helpful info.

I am familiar with the tag search engine and have used it many times. I always try to be careful when I’m tagging, and if I make a mistake, I go back and fix it. Also, to be clear, butt reduction and thigh reduction were not made by me.

To elaborate a little more, the tags that I’ve created include the following (v). I’m pretty sure that these are all of them, but, unfortunately, Derpibooru doesn’t seem to remember every one.

h. r. pufnstuf (replacing hr pufnstuf)  
wilhelmina w. witchiepoo [replacing witchiepoo (and appears to be questionable now on my part)]  
vroom broom (replacing broombroom)  
orson vulture  
jimmy (h.r. pufnstuf)  
h.r. pufnstuf (character)  
dr. blinky  
element of humanity  
fanfic:return of humanity

I even resurrected one tag that had fallen out of use.

four breasts (not to be confused with crotchboobs plus chestboobs)

Also, I know that this may fall under a different category, but as I had learned of the tag entitled fanfic:the lost element coming into existence, I had all of the art from the lost element transferred over.

In conclusion, do these work or should I change some things?
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
h. r. pufnstuf (replacing hr pufnstuf) etc

Aliased hr pufnstuf -> h. r. pufnstuf since that is the actual name of that franchise and to match “h.r. pufnstuf (character)” and “jimmy (h.r. pufnstuf)”

Also aliased:  
witchiepoo -> wilhelmina w. witchiepoo  
broombroom -> vroom broom  
the lost element -> fanfic:the lost element

Those H. R. Pufinstuf tags are fine. In fact, they largely don’t matter because they’re all crossover tags. That’s not our franchise. Perhaps the character tags should parenthetically identify that they are H. R. Pufinstuf characters so they don’t interfere with MLP franchise characters, but I’m sure if it becomes a problem it will be easy enough to fix because it’s just a handful of images.

I don’t know if “four breasts” is a thing we need to tag, or if multiboob already covers that. Someone who knows more about tagging should weigh in, if appropriate.

The only thing I would suggest changing is that if the image has H. R. Pufinstuf characters in it, and it’s on this site, it should also have the “crossover” tag because that is the parent tag for “stuff that isn’t exclusively from our focus franchise”. I added the crossover tag to the images that seemed to need it.

Beyond those thoughts, I don’t see any problems at all.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@Blissful690  
Dangit. Yeah, of course there’s even more variations of tagging for those six images. Soon we’ll have as many aliases as images 9__9

Give me a hand with this - what’s our convention for things with two letters like that - is it “H. R.” or “H.R.” or “HR”?

Should it be:

1. “h. r. pufnstuf”  
  2. “h.r. pufnstuf”  
  3. “h r pufnstuf  
  4. “hr pufnstuf”

Let me know - I’ll smoosh them together into that one.
Brokedownandmadeone
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Equality - In our state, we're all equal here!

BigThirsty ponybooru.org
I don’t know if “four breasts” is a thing we need to tag, or if multiboob already covers that. Someone who knows more about tagging should weigh in, if appropriate.
I’d say multiboob covers it fine. Although since I found triboob, if it doesn’t get aliased, then we need to clean up some tags. Found some other ones while browsing the tag pool.

four breasts, quadriboob, -> quadboob  
(To be in line with triboob )

three breasts -> triboob  
||  
boob suck, boob sucking, breast suckling, nipple suck, nipple sucking, nipple suckling, sucking nipple -> suckling

grabbing breast, breast grope -> breast grab

licking anus, anus licking -> analingus

cock licking, penis lick, penis licking -> licking cock

dildo licking -> licking dildo

licking vagina, licking pussy, pussy lick, lick pussy, pussy lickling -> cunnilingus

ball lick -> ball licking

testicle bra, ballbra -> ball bra

mare pussy, equine vagina, mare cunt -> anatomically correct

feet licking, foot lick, lick foot, sole lick -> licking foot  
|| (more explicit/fetishy territory) I HOPE I got everything. And this list was all because I saw some dang licking outliers that brought me down that hole.
Brainless-Mind

@Derpy Whooves  
@Blissful690  
@Brokedownandmadeone

Oh, dear. I was hoping to make another reply before this started getting out of hand.

As I was saying before, in regards to wilhelmina w. witchiepoo, I simply didn’t know if I should’ve left it alone in the first place or not. After all, ‘Wichiepoo’ is what they called Billie Hayes’ character in the opening credits of “H.R. Pufnstuf” and when her name was mentioned in said show. The new tag that I created was her full name, used in rarer instances. Oh well, what’s done is done there.

Next, Wichiepoo’s flying machine was actually called the vroom broom. Broombroom was the wrong label to begin with. I can understand it as being a mishear in the audio; even I thought that’s what it was called when I was young. As a result, ‘vroom broom’ doesn’t need that alias.

As for four breasts versus multiboob, couldn’t the former imply the latter?

At present, the tag is typed out as h.r. pufnstuf. I admit that I typed it out wrong in my post. Also, that is how it is smelled out on the Wikipedia page for the show and the title character. I’m sorry for causing that alias trouble.

Lastly, regarding fanfic:the lost element, do fanfic tags usually have aliases like that?
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
Next, Wichiepoo’s flying machine was actually called the vroom broom.

That’s how I created the alias. broombroom → vroom broom means that anyone typing the ‘broombroom’ tag automagically gets the ‘vroom broom’ tag. The alias exists because both tags exist, but they are synonyms, and the less desirable tag is ‘aliased into’ the more desirable tag.

Oh, dear. I was hoping to make another reply before this started getting out of hand

Don’t worry - nothing is out of hand. It’s fixed now.
ZONESS
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Would anyone object to having Skellinore’s implications for The Break Up Break Down and Spoiler:S08E10 removed?

I just noticed her tag was implying a dead tag (spoiler:s08e10) that can’t be removed by regular users, and I was about to inquire about fixing it elsewhere when it occurred to me that it’s been two years since that episode aired and still having her imply either of those tags might be silly at this point.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide