General Tag Discussion

Frustration in Excelsis
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Artist -
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac -

Worldbuilding Addict
@Litrojia  
Hmm. There’s been so much added to the tag that I can’t really tell what it was originally used for. Right now it seems to cover griffons, hippogriffs and pegasi acting like birds, cute griffons, hippogriffs and pegasi and instances of the word “birb” being used. The last… I don’t think it really needs a tag; the first is already covered by the “[x] doing bird things” family; and if you want to find cute pictures by species you only really need to search “[species], cute”.

I dunno, this seems too diffuse to pull a specific meaning out of it, and I’m not sure if it really provides any particular utility.
TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Just like sexy and funny, cute is a functionally useless tag applied solely by individual personal preference, and never should have been kept in the first place.

birb is birds or birdlike creatures doing hyperbolically birdy things to comedic effect; anyone who’s seen the word birb used in the wild knows what it means.
Blissful690
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

Violet Frost Fan
Just like sexy and funny, cute is a functionally useless tag applied solely by individual personal preference, and never should have been kept in the first place.

But how else are we supposed to know someone’s cute?
Litrojia
Cottonwood Kindle - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artistic Detective - For hunting down artist when their names have changed
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

@Blissful690  
I think the point was that subjective tags (which “cute” undeniably is, to an extent) are unnecessary. I don’t agree with the tag’s inclusion or exclusion in every case, but it’s consistent enough for me that I use it quite a bit, and so do others.

However, I’ll make the case that tags made for “very cute” images like daaaaaaaaaaaw and hnnng are useless, since to me the “level” of cuteness is more subjective than whether an image is supposed to be cute or not in the first place. Possibly just personal preference, but I don’t think images with those tags are any different than the tags without them.

I agree that “sexy” is useless since we’ve already got suggestive, questionable, and explicit. Images tagged “funny” usually aren’t funny to me, but I feel that tag should probably be kept since those images attempted humor. However, “humor” and “joke” are already tags in their own right, yet “humorous” is aliased to “funny”. That’s a mess.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
I could write a novel on why fluffy subjective tags are a waste of time and effort for everyone involved, but no one cares and everyone already knows lol.

Plus all the character specific cute tags too, and sexy tags, and pretty much just everything that isn’t helpful. What’s cute and sexy to me ain’t for others usually.
Damaged
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

Word Bug
@LightningBolt  
Probably the biggest for this is solo female. I see people tossing that on so much stuff. What’s its description?  
A single female presented in a provocative or sexual manner.

The way people use it you’d think it was an alias for female.
Litrojia
Cottonwood Kindle - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artistic Detective - For hunting down artist when their names have changed
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

@Damaged  
With how much that tag and solo male get misused, plus the fact that you could just search gender alongside rating tags, I don’t think we really need those tags.  
I was considering making a post about it recently, but we’ve got duo male / female too, which I think aren’t reserved for sexualized images, plus males / females only which are. It had me really confused with tagging an image the other day.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Litrojia  
Yes, those facts are true, but they miss the point that people’s filters have been using them as this meaning since the beginning and changing them or nuking them to the point where people will need to use complex filters for what used to be a single tag is just absurd. Not like people even tag the single tags properly as it is. The same applies to fe/males only too.
Derpy Whooves
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@LightningBolt & @Litrojia  
Sorry if this is late, but just to add to what LightningBolt said, if those tags need fixing, it’s better to fix them than to change their meaning.

They’re really handy, and even though we have to keep going back and fixing them, for the most part they’re doing their jobs.

So they’re worth the effort to clean them up if someone’s been misusing them.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@RebeccaHawkins  
That tag is often used in place of the FoalCon tag for characters who are assumed to be underage. So if there’s an OC who usually gets tagged FoalCon and an image shows them aged up so it’s no longer FoalCon, then that tag should be applied to the image. Especially if the image is also Anthro, otherwise it might get flagged as Rule #5.

Beyond that, it’s also appropriate on any character who is drawn older than they are in canon, or at least in the primary/not extended canon.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@RebeccaHawkins  
It’s actually already on close to 12,000 safe-rate images now. So, it doesn’t just carry the “Not Foalcon” meaning. “Aged Up” and “Grown Up” and “Older” are all aliased, so all of those meanings, safe or explicit, are on the same tag now. On safe images it just means that the character is older than they are normally shown.

… it just occurred to me that we’d have absolutely no way to tell if FlufflePuff were “aged up” or not. Or what her actual age is in ‘canon’, given who her sister is. She might be older than the solar system.
Smarch

Everybody's dead, Dave.
@Derpy Whooves  
@icey wicey 1517  
Thank you for your help, but I’m still a little confused. The tag’s description says that it’s aged up characters that are “canonically underage (those within the MLP:FIM universe)”. And to me that implies that it’s only for older versions of MLP characters. The description also says that it’s for adult versions of underage characters, but it gets used on pictures of older versions of characters that are canonically adults.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@RebeccaHawkins & @icey wicey 1517  
The description that’s there was from the old Rule #5 “September Change” stuff from the “Older” or “Aged Up” tags, so that’s pretty hard and fast, but I’ll look at the description to see if there’s a way to say it that will cause less confusion.

Just out of curiosity, which is the character or image that inspired this? Which is the character that you want to tag as “Aged Up” or “Older” or “Grown Up” which you don’t think this tag should be on?

@icey wicey 1517  
The problem with that is that the tag is used as a binary bit that allows canon underage characters to be drawn Anthro and Explicit. If it is valid on an image that would otherwise be Anthro Foalcon then it is an exception.

If a character doesn’t have a “Canon” age then that binary becomes slippery and wet and hard to light.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
Oh - ok. It’s fine on OC images. There’s lots of OCs where we “know” how old they “usually are”, and sometimes people want to fine or filter those images, so it’s fine.
saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

extra fun at parties
Also on a related note to what I posted in the shipping thread:
@icey wicey 1517
@Dragonpone
Would it be ok if I made an r63 lil cheese tag then?
Since considering the current debate about their gender there, a rule 63 tag would come in handy for future situations

IMO it’d be better to have tags for “lil cheese (male)” and “lil cheese (female)” and probably also “lil cheese (nonbinary)”, since that leaves out the debate about which sex/gender is “canonical” or “original” and which one is the R63 one.
Zeb
Praise the Sun! - Derpi Supporter
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Economist -
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Tag-Bot
@saby  
That seems extremely overcomplicated.  
Main issue would be: How would you determine which image was male and which one was female?

Add to that people needing to know there’s specific separate character tags for the same character.

Show staff said the character was male, that’s what we’re going with on the site. If someone wants to draw him as a female, we have the rule 63 tag for that. We don’t need to make it more complex than that.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide