General Tag Discussion

JP
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I miss the show so much
@SpeedBumpV-Drop  
I asked once about owner tags and the reply was “no”. Those things should be put in descriptions. I’d link to the post if I could find it now. I’ve been periodically nuking “owner” tags.

I have nothing against colorist tags.
evan555alpha
Crazylis - Derpi Supporter
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Emerald -
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Wallet After Summer Sale -

PSA: R0 was changed!
@SpeedBumpV-Drop  
I’m more than willing to argue that Blues is more than just a ‘colourist’. The amount of effort put in to actually making his works their own pictures, compared to just using the bucket tool and calling it a day, is more than worthy of an ‘artist’ tag over a ‘colourist’ one.
TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

@SpeedBumpV-Drop  
Should there be ‘‘oc owner’’ and ‘‘colorist’’ tags?

There really shouldn’t be, no, because just like almost everything with an editor:___ tag all it usually means is that a no-talent hack is trying to sound important by pretending they added something useful to something made by an actual artist. If a serious colorist colors someone else’s line art– or a real artist like Rodrigues404 animates a still image– it should just have two artist tags and collab or edit as appropriate.

There’s also been a serious glut lately of wannabes making image macros or 10 second edited screencap edits and anointing themselves with an artist:___ tag, which is pretty gross and frankly should get a mod warning to cut it out.
cheezedoodle
Roll for Initiative - For Patreon supporters
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - OC Tag Description Requests
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Silver Bit -

TagZombie: AC15, Atk +8
@SpeedBumpV-Drop  
OC creator would go in the OC’s tag description. There’s a whole thread to request them.

And no, there is no tag for commissions. If a commissioner wants credit they should ask the artist for the final image to upload here at the same time or even before they post it publicly.

Finally, there are several colorist tags. Feel free to create one. We’re not going to change the tag color though.

@TexasUberAlles  
If you see people posting edited screencaps or zero-effort memes with artist tags, report them so that we can correct it and speak with them.

And I would assume the collaboration tag would only be used on pre-planned art where multiple artists agreed to do different parts of a piece. If someone’s coming along later and vectorizing or coloring a sketch, it’s not really a collaboration. That’s just my opinion though so maybe some other staff would like to weigh in.
Deserter
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

This cykas my blyats
@SpeedBumpV-Drop  
I don’t think it’s necessary. If the OC is popular enough then people would know who made it anyhow, and the colorist tag is redundant with the existence of the “editor” tag.

@TexasUberAlles  
The way I use it is use “editor” if I just went over the lines and colored, and “artist” if I had to redraw a large part of the picture.
TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

@cheezedoodle  
If you see people posting edited screencaps or zero-effort memes with artist tags, report them

I have served; I will be of service.

If someone’s coming along later and vectorizing or coloring a sketch, it’s not really a collaboration  
Artists do sometimes upload unfinished art with a note that it’s an open collab and anyone is welcome to finish it if they post a link back to it; that should have the collab tag.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@cheezedoodle  
Relatedly tho, snake pony is mistagged a lot, as most of them are actually lamias, and not all are tagged lamia, and some lamias are tagged snake pony too. Should either be cleaned up for snake pony to either be snakes with all legs or no legs, or a collective of all types of snake ponies, with lamia being a descriptor for those with just front legs (which are the most common, goddamn special snowflakes get their own tag so unfair)
cheezedoodle
Non-Fungible Trixie -
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Silver Bit -

@LightningBolt  
what about  
lamia: basically snake/pony centaurs - snake tail, pony forelimbs, torso, and head  
naga: pony head on a snake body, no limbs  
Both implying snake pony, monster pony
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@cheezedoodle  
What, no, but naga is aliased into lamia. It means the same thing.

Also a big fuck you to snakes with legs I guess.

No that’s a bad idea and makes no sense.
Frustration in Excelsis
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Artist -
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac -

Worldbuilding Addict
@cheezedoodle  
I contend youkai – given that it refers to a specific group of creatures from a real-life mythology in general, rather than to monster-themed ponies and/or ponified monsters like the “* pony” tags do, it would be the tag to use whenever an actual, non-pony youkai is present in a picture. In these cases, a “monster pony” implication would result in mistagging.

Take these, for instance:  
>>592770t (deleted)  
Youkai – a nekomata and a karakasa – but not monster ponies.

On that note, however, I feel that yuki-onna, nekomata and karakasa should imply youkai.
cheezedoodle
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -

@LightningBolt  
My reasoning was that in fantasy RPGs a naga is typically a snake with human head (or pony head in our case).

@Frustration in Excelsis  
There seems to be a theme that a significant number of the monster ponies tagged youkai have an extremely long neck or tongue, is there a subcategory they should belong to (that can imply monster pony)?

On that note, however, I feel that yuki-onna, nekomata and karakasa should imply

…imply what-  
Edited in crossing
GenericArchangel
Alicorn Squadron - For supporting the site
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Artist -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter

Free the Tantabus
@LightningBolt  
April Fools Prank 2k20: Derpibooru becomes a fantasy RPG website. You heard it here first, folks.

And on topic: most of those implications seem fine to me, but as someone pointed out the presence of a monster does not mean it is ponified. This complicates things, so personally I’d add things to the detailed descriptions about adding the “monster pony” tag as needed.

And speaking of detailed descriptions: there’s a typo in Sunburst’s.
Damaged
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

Word Bug
Why not make it simpler to process and not harder:

Group all the snake pony variants into one big alias, and have a descriptive term added (like legless ) for the ones without legs at all?

That way there’s less “Uh, what’s the name of snake ponies that have these exact features again?” happening and more searching based off facts “They are a snake/pony hybrid” “they have legs”.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Artistic Detective -

When something could be both part of a set and alternate version do you use both or is one preferred over the other? Also, is there a minimum quantity to qualify as a “set” or could I get some other guidance for when that is appropriate?

Specifically at the moment I am pondering these four NSFW images and also these Rainbow Dash icons - alternate versions, parts of sets, or both?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide