General Tag Discussion

Kot Kompot
Ruby - For users who have donated to the site
Silver Bit -
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Patron
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

Floppy ears may express many different emotions. They even can be folded in different ways: lowered horizontally, pointing backwards or just hanging down. Do you think it is possible to differentitate all expressions and tag them accordingly, or we may continue to use floppy ears as a catch-all?  
And in latter case, is it safe to suggest aliasing ears down to floppy ears?  
(Previously was mentioned here)  
saby
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

extra fun at parties
@Ponylooker  
^ this

it’s really not hard to distinguish between loose, weak/relaxed “floppy” ears, averting “no thx” ears, and stiff ears of aggression which us horsefolks call “pinned” ears.

@FrustrationInExcelsis  
probably because the breast/groin part looks like something else
Kot Kompot
Ruby - For users who have donated to the site
Silver Bit -
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Patron
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

@saby  
I see your point but:  
1) even angry ponies sometimes depicted with floppy ears pointing down (examples below from search floppy ears AND angry literally)  
>>1600735s (deleted)  
2) from some angles it may be unclear whether ears pointing back or just sideways (and it will make tagging such images ambiguous)  

@Ponylooker  
@saby  
Soooo… We un-alias ears back from floppy ears, create a couple of other ear tags for different emotions and ear positions horses have, and then try to properly tag images previously tagged floppy ears..? That could be fun.  
Seriously, I feel sometimes that floppy ears tag is too wide, covering both silly ponies and angry ones.
saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

extra fun at parties
@Kot Kompot  
Your three first ‘floppy ears’ pictures all depict pinned (very tense) ears. That angle can only occur when ear muscles work hard. Ears turned away and perhaps tensed backwards would have much larger angle. I’m going to post pictures when I get back home.

edit: latter three are also tense, not floppy, but I wouldn’t call it pinned… perhaps ‘ears back’
saby
Non-Fungible Trixie -

extra fun at parties
@Ponylooker  
@TexasUberAlles  
How about floppy ears, ears back, pinned ears?

Pinned means the extreme position where the ears fall flat or nearly flat to the poll (the bump between the skull and the neck), on a rl horse it means the ears are in the same angle as the head but on a pony head it’s harder to define.

Altho I could settle for ears back being the catch-all for backwards/down pointing ears that are not loosey-goosey floppy. Especially is pinned ears could be a fringe tag implying ears back and remaining usable and useful for those of us that care. Just like there are various underwear colour tags and whatnot.
WingbeatPony
Daring Do Dakimakura - Attended a Derpibooru panel at a MLP convention
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Tag horse
I’m in favor of moving to “ears back,” there’s not a lot of ways to mix up the meaning there - “pinned ears” brings up images of ponies trapped by somepony standing on their ears, pierced ears, and other stuff before I picture a droopy-eared pony.

On another note, “ear flop” is currently an alias of “ears back” and I would like to re-purpose it to mean something else entirely: One or more ears that flop halfway, such as bunny or puppy ears. Example:  
>>1627451t (deleted)
Frustration in Excelsis
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Artist -
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac -

Worldbuilding Addict
I just uploaded a few screencaps from “Dragon Quest”, specifically three from when the phoenix dad is letting off that huge flare to drive away the teenage dragon gang, and I’m somewhat at a loss for what to tag them re: the actual attack. I’ve got them tagged “flare” for the time being, but I’m not sure if there’s a better tag around that I just haven’t stumbled across yet.

>>1635876p (merged)  
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide