General Tag Discussion

Derpy Whooves
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Looking For My Doctor
I am so confused now. I remember it being so easy before skin tone became such a divisive thing, with humanized and dark and light tones being tagged …

I keep asking myself, what are people searching for, or filtering?

If images like the above are EQG, then that makes everything on that side of the franchise easy to filter or find - regardless of the skin tones the artist used. People who don’t want to see characters from that sub-franchise won’t, unless they are in an Equestria setting, episode, or short.

But if the tone of the skin matters over the franchise/sub-franchise, then that gets tricky, like it is now.

Sunset Shimmer is kind of a poster child for this - she’s an Equestrian Girls character. So it seems like she should be tagged EQG unless the image is from her appearance in an MLP episode or short, whether she’s a pony or a human or humanized or human-colored or anthro or EQG-styles, she’s an EQG character.

But it seems the EGQ is also being used to indicate the style of the drawing, not the sub-/franchise the characters or scene are from.

So is EQG simply being used in too many ways?

Because the category of the tag is “Official Content”, and it seems that it’s getting used to sort out how closely artists are on model, to the point that EQG characters are “dropping out” of the EQG tag if their colors are too pastel, or there are characters in the scene with human skin tones.

So, for me, if the source of the characters is from the EQG world, then that’s an EQG image.

That would put the focus back on what we mean by the “humanized” tag, and the difference between “humanized” Rainbow Dash the pony, and “Humanized” Rainbow Dash the EQG. Maybe it’s as simple as saying that EQG Rainbow Dash may be Human Colored, but pony Rainbow Dash might be Humanized - but either way at that point you’re so far off model that it’s more about tagging the source of the artist’s inspiration than the actual results.

But if EQG dropped the expectation that characters will be on model for coloration, at least people could search and filter using the EQG tag again. And right now from the reports and PMs I’ve been working on, that seems to be where all the pain is.
Archonix
Donklight Sparkle - For supporting the site
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Economist -
Heart Gem -
Silver Supporter - Silver Patron
Thread Starter - Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

Retired Ass
@TexasUberAlles  
You misspelled “discussing” there, champ.

@The Frowning Pony  
I’ve been mostly out of the loop on this (for obvious reasons), so I have no idea what’s actually going on, or when the actual tag definition changed. Did it change? Have I switched universes again?
The Smiling Pony
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@Derpy Whooves  
The tag has referred to both the style and characters from it since its beginning. It’s important to note that Rainbow Dash in EqG-land is not the same character as Rainbow Dash in FiM-land, same as Twilight Sparkle and Sci-Twi are different characters.

A lot of these artists are specifically drawing EqG characters, and their style is just as valid for “equestria girls” characters as longinius’ style is for FiM ponies.

A tagging change of this magnitude merits a lot more discussion, and any change would need an actual plan and proper prioritization vs other large tag projects (pony, solo, pegasus, etc,).
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@The Smiling Pony  
Yeah, I agree. I’m glad this got noticed and talked about, and I feel a little better about being confused by all of it. I’ll look through the reports I worked on today to see if any of those tag changes need to be reversed.
Princess Luna
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
I don’t know the specifics of how we used to tag EqG, but I can just about guarantee that it didn’t have a specific concrete idea.  
In general, we have a tendency to tag a franchise name on characters from the franchise, like Pokemon for Pikachu, but we don’t do this for pony, and when someone makes a humanized Rarity that could humanized be from FiM, EqG, or IDW, I’m not sure it makes much sense to tag any of the three.  
The IDW tag as far as I know is used for the comics themselves, and characters/ideas unique to them, regardless of using comic style (for when people imitate the style, there’s “I can’t believe it’s not IDW” of course), which is very similar to how we tag episodes/movie with regards to characters (tag it for their initial appearance mainly as a spoiler thing, but stop tagging after later ones, unless the way they appear is unique, I think). The EqG tag I would expect to operate the same way, but then it gets very tricky because it’s not like pony-colored Rarity is unique to EqG, and to my knowledge we normally tag it on anything even vaguely resembling the style, in part because of “equestria girls-ified” existing.
The Smiling Pony
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@Zeb  
Yes, they were, but after EqG a fair amount of such images were specifically drawing characters from EqG and not characters from FiM. When an artist is constantly drawing SciTwi, Sunset Shimmer, or has a hundred rarijack images based around the characters’ interactions from EqG, I think it’d be safe to say that their intent wasn’t to draw humanized ponies, but EqG characters.

Yes, it’s a confusing tag because it carries two meanings and the franchise/lore situation is shit, but if we’re going to make it so images of EqG characters no longer get the ‘equestria girls’ tag because the style isn’t the show’s or there’s not a “very clear” reference to it, then that’s going to affect thousand of images; we’d need new tags and a decent definition for them and plan on how to apply them.
Background Pony #975F
@Damaged  
That’s the underpinning tag, it’s still technically correct in the way a girl with a flat chest still has breasts.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Background Pony #E7D7  
I still hate the default main tag for pony udders being ‘crotchboobs’ as I utterly despise how it sounds.

But my opinion means little as I don’t really care about any kinds of udders and people like it, so… Just giving an opinion.

Edit: I will say it is very unintuitive.
Damaged
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

Word Bug
@LightningBolt  
I mean, it could be aliased to something sane and not break the everything, right?

@Background Pony #E7D7  
Right, but ponies != humans.

Basically, It’d be nice if there was a way to differentiate between images like the above and ones where someone has literally glued human-style boobs on a pony’s underside. At present I can’t see a way to differentiate the two other than one being a realistic depiction of what a pony would likely have and the other being a horny kid’s daydream.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide