Equestria Girls character tagging

Litrojia
Cottonwood Kindle - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artistic Detective - For hunting down artist when their names have changed
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

Someone requested a change to Equestria Girls tags, and I’m looking for more opinions on whether the change should be made since I’m not too knowledgeable on EQG.

The request is to mark Principal Celestia, Vice Principal Luna, Dean Cadance, and Alumnus Shining Armor as character (blue) tags in the same way that Sci-Twi is.

I’m conflicted here. On one hand, the relationship between Sci-Twi and pony Twilight in EQG means that they need their own character tags to distinguish them. For other characters, the distinction between human and pony world versions of characters is more obvious and doesn’t need to be indicated in the tags. Making this change may also set a precedent of giving all of the EQG versions of characters separate tags, which would be excessive. However, for example, “principal celestia” doesn’t refer to EQG Celestia in her principal role. Rather, it’s applied to EQG Celestia in general.

As it stands, I think I prefer the status quo, but I want to hear what others have to say.
GlitchedWolf
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

Derpbooru Free Edition!?
Someone requested a change to Equestria Girls tags, and I’m looking for more opinions on whether the change should be made since I’m not too knowledgeable on EQG.
The request is to mark Principal Celestia, Vice Principal Luna, Dean Cadance, and Alumnus Shining Armor as character (blue) tags in the same way that Sci-Twi is.
Whether or not you turn them into character tags the tags themselves still exist, seeing as they serve almost the same purpose as every other character tag I’d say making them blue makes sense.

I’m conflicted here. On one hand, the relationship between Sci-Twi and pony Twilight in EQG means that they need their own character tags to distinguish them. For other characters, the distinction between human and pony world versions of characters is more obvious and doesn’t need to be indicated in the tags.
While I don’t have time to think of every scenario, somewhere this could be useful is if someone makes a picture/comic of pony celestia and EQG celestia seeing each other through the portal, or anything involving the two. If you wanted to search for images like that you could do celestia,pony,human,equestria girls but this will give a bunch of unrelated images that aren’t pony celestia and EQG celestia together. If you search using the principal celestia tag, it doesn’t actually improve much yet because I don’t think many people know about this tag, but it could. If it was an actual character tag, chances are, more people would see it around and thus tag it more which could give this tag better use than keeping it as green or nuking it. (+ It being a character tag would make it more “official” and people would be more willing to tag it.)

Making this change may also set a precedent of giving all of the EQG versions of characters separate tags, which would be excessive.
Even if you turn down the request, the tags still exist, just green instead of blue. If a character is important enough both in pony and EQG, people will still make specific tags for them whether or not it’s a normal tag or a character tag, it’ll just be more noticeable if it’s an actual character tag.
Napsack
Typically turned to the funny pages - For Patreon supporters
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

why
I’d say that they’re characters unto themselves, separate from their pony counterparts. They’re hardly fleshed out characters, but they exist all the same. Making their tags blue seems to make perfect sense to me for ease of recognition and tagging.

For other characters, the distinction between human and pony world versions of characters is more obvious and doesn’t need to be indicated in the tags.

This seems like a strange opinion to hold. If you’re attempting to tag accurately, then they should have separate and obvious tags by default for accuracy’s sake alone.

That and ‘obvious’ is a matter of exposure to the show in general. Not everyone knows these facts by heart and that should be kept in mind.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@Litrojia  
Aren’t these tags already used as character tags in practice?

If someone browses for/filters out principal celestia in the first place, I assume they mean “EQG Celestia in general.” Whether she’s principal or not. Maybe some AU. Just like sci-twi refers to EQG Twilight in general whether she’s doing science or not. Figure people use them as twilight sparkle (eqg) & co despite the actual tag name.

Didn’t draw any of these four yet but if I drew a picture of (say) Equestria Girls Luna, the upload would get only vice-principal luna and no princess luna (except for the automatic implication). Even if she was in the world of Elder Scrolls Online with CHS nowhere to be seen instead. Speaking only for myself though.

If they’re used as blue tags as a whole to begin with, yeah, make them blue tags.
Background Pony #0577
Indeed, making the these 4s tags blue is what makes most sense in my mind & what think is what most logical thing to do.
Background Pony #C4CD
I don’t see what the big deal is, neither with hesitation to categorize these as character tags, nor the original BP’s tenacity on requesting it (they cite ease of navigation, but AFAIK all the categorization does is change the color, move them near the front of the tag list, and affect searching/filtering specifically on the tags page or via API).

They seem like separate presences, they may as well be blue.

The principles behind what tags qualify for “character” categorization seems inconsistent anyway. I had a good think about it, and came up with some criteria that seemed like they’d be important but which don’t seem to apply:

• Are they a wholly separate entity?  
    This only seems to matter when the character is not at all derivative of another character - that’s probably why the Power Ponies are “characters”, since they have designs apart from when the Main 7 played them.  
    For derivative characters, it doesn’t seem to matter one way or another, because Nightmare Moon, Daybreaker, Nightmare Rarity, Mare Do Well, Daring Do, and Fizzlepop Berrytwist are “characters”, but these EQG counterparts aren’t and neither are the comics’ mirror universe inhabitants (which have been shown coexisting with the normal characters, in official works).

• Do they have a significantly different personality, behavior, or visual design than the original?  
    This seems like a factor, but with Daring Do, Sci-Twi and Spike the regular dog included but Flutterbat and Pinkamena Diane Pie excluded, it’s not a definite criterion.
Background Pony #0577
I was thinking. Would it be ok if a pin like this one full was put on this thread, so that it gets put higher up in the thread ranks & get more tracktion?
Litrojia
Cottonwood Kindle - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artistic Detective - For hunting down artist when their names have changed
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter

Thank you all for the feedback! There are lots of valid points here in favor of making these character tags, so I went ahead and made them blue.

@TheGlitchedWolf  
If a character is important enough both in pony and EQG, people will still make specific tags for them whether or not it’s a normal tag or a character tag, it’ll just be more noticeable if it’s an actual character tag.

That makes a lot of sense. This was my biggest concern, but you’re probably right that only significant characters would tend to get tagged in this way, and it wouldn’t become a situation where every background character in both FIM and EQG has their own “human [character]” tag. And in cases where a human version of a character is significant enough, those could be marked as character tags as well.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: Done