"Dialogue" tag clarification

Tagging Discussion » "Dialogue" tag clarification Search Posts
Background Pony #7295
It was noted during a discussion about speech bubbles that the word dialogue means “conversation between two or more people as a feature of a book, play, or movie.” according to dictionaries, the tag itself is used in any case a character is talking.

I used the tag Speech for images that had 1 character talking, but others use dialogue on any conversation, even if it’s the following:  
  1. a single character talking to the viewer (>>2292455, suggestive)  
  2. an offscreen character talking, with no response from the character in the picture (>>2226922, explicit)  
  3. a single character talking to an offscreen character, with no response (>>2009730)  
  4. a single character with pictograms (>>1498973)  
  5. a response with a pictogram or “…” (>>1652106 explicit)  
  6. a “dialogue” with only pictograms, both characters on screen (>>1228697)  
  7. a cropped image of a dialogue, that only shows 1 character talking (>>2241913)  
  8. Multiple characters talking, but not to each other (in comics or sketch dumps >>2007375)  
  9. The same character talking repeatedly, not to anyone in particular (>>2322730)  
  10. Narrator “talking” in a comic, no one else talks. (>>2306093)  
  11. Thought bubble “dialogue” (>>1751250, not quite right, more like when Garfield the cat “talks” in thought bubbles, hard to find pics)

Additionally, there’s also the monologue tag, which I’m not sure if it applies to cases: 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9. I’m also not sure if some of the images tagged “speech” should be retagged as “monologue”.

I think only cases where 2 or more individuals talking to each other should have the tag, and the rest be tagged “monologue” or “speech”. I’m not sure what to do with cases 5 and 6. Any thoughts on this? Anyone with or against separating monologue and dialogue, or what to tag with the above cases?
Background Pony #2A07
Monologue and speech to me seem to evoke different definitions than what you use them for.

Monologue to me is when one character speaks for a long time, and speech is, well, for me, reserved for the kind that people give to address a large crowd.

I can say for sure that all of them warrant the “talking” tag, and I think that’s a better go-to in general than “speech” or “monologue”.

Dialogue’s definition seems to, on all counts, require two or more people, and it would be fair to require that both of them are talking.

So my idea would be: unless there are two characters talking to each other in a “conversational exchange”, don’t tag it dialogue; tag it “talking”.
Princess Luna
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
This is one of those tags I’ve never myself used, due to how unclear it is. I would expect it to either mean a character talking with some kind of symbols for what they’re saying on the image or multiple characters conversing with each other. However, the latter could be handled with a “conversation” tag and we would then be able to use “dialog” for the former.

@Background Pony #7A48  
That seems workable for the time being. I’ll have to check further into this, though.
Princess Luna
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
I’ve made speech imply talking, and given speech, “monologue”, and conversation short descriptions for now. It will take some time however to even begin correcting speech to refer to actual speeches and move over most of its current content to talking.  
“Monologue” might actually need aliasing into speech later .  
I’m leaving “dialogue” alone for now because it’s utterly huge.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide