Colored backgrounds implications

Litrojia
Cottonwood Kindle - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artistic Detective - For hunting down artist when their names have changed
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

Hmm… A lot of these could probably get aliased to more popular tags, most notably beige, cream, and creme background to tan background. Also, a lot of these are different shades of existing color tags (mostly blues and purples), which feels excessive to me, but light blue background already has the implication, so I don’t know.

I removed dark teal background and darker gray background entirely because those are ridiculously specific and were only added to one image each that didn’t have “one solid color or complete transparency” as the description of simple background requires. On that note, semi-transparent background probably has value as a tag, but doesn’t fit that description.

I’m gonna hold off on implications for now.
Background Pony #941A
I was prepping to start a thread “How fine-grained do we need background color tags?” and came upon this one during due-diligence.
Background color tags that already imply simple background (suffix “ background” omitted for brevity):
transparent (224560), white (111193), gray (8600), black (6341)
red (1089), pink (3727), orange (981), yellow (1760), green (2816), teal (202), light blue (42), blue (6217), purple (3692)
brown (897), tan (398)
…I wonder whether light blue background should imply blue background or be aliased into it…?
Then, these are colors with background tags without “simple background” implied:
violet (98, 82 of which are from one source), lavender (34), lilac (10), light purple (2)
These all seem like they could be condensed into 1 color, or altogether aliased into purple background (after review; a few might be “pink”, and some are not in fact “simple” and instead should be eg. gradient background)
magenta (20)
This one stands out to me as actually distinct from either pink or purple, which magenta is between. However, since again some of them aren’t properly a “simple background” and instead should be “gradient” or “abstract”, the image count would go even lower, so is it even warranted?
coral (3)
So few have it and I’d vote to retag them “pink”.
dark pink (3)
So few have it and I’d call them all “purple” or “magenta” (depending on existence of “magenta” tag). Alias, or just retag since there are so few.
indigo (74), dark blue (22), navy blue (2), royal blue (1)
IMO, they could all be aliased into blue background. One could also add dark background to be more specific. (Strangely, there does not seem to exist a counterpart light background tag! See above where I comment on light blue.)
cyan (41)
IMO, close enough to teal (202) to alias.
beige (48)
Oof, it looks pretty inconsistently used, to my eyes. I’d retag each as “tan”, “brown”, “orange”, “yellow”, “pink”, and “purple” (or an aforementioned lighter counterpart) as appropriate, leaving nothing with “beige”.
cream (24)
Like tan or yellow, but lighter. Not sure if this one should stay? Even if a tag like light background started to be used, it’d be kind of hard to tell which color to tag as the base, in each case. It could be replaced with a different tag named something like “off-white background” to be even more inclusive.
gold (7)
Close enough to alias to yellow background?
dark grey (2)
Alias to gray background or just retag them since there are so few.
light orange (1)
Bruh, that’s just “orange”.

colored background (172) - I’m not sure if anything should be done with this tag. It seems like it’s used to mean “not a transparent/white/gray/black/grayscale background” and may or may not be simple, gradient, abstract, or even detailed.

Bonus content:
flat background (13) alias-> simple background
semi-transparent background (17) alias-> partial background (238) should not imply simple background
screencapped background (8) alias-> screencap background (34), not sure if it should imply edited screencap+screencap or if it doesn’t hold that significance.
screenshot background - some of these should have been “screencap background” so I retagged them already, leaving the ones that actually are screenshots.
cheezedoodle
Roll for Initiative - For Patreon supporters
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - OC Tag Description Requests
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Silver Bit -

TagZombie: AC15, Atk +8
After looking at some of these (and already setting up implications for a few) I am now starting to disagree that these tags should imply simple background. Many have gradients or abstract designs of one primary color and I would not want to discourage people from using the color background tag if it’s implied to only be wanted on solid color backgrounds.
I would agree to alias many together to a few broad categories like:
  • [primary color] background
  • [secondary color] background
  • gray background
  • beige background
  • pink background
  • black background
I did find and alias flat background and the shortcut fb to simple background, so you can now just add the FB tag to do simple background more quickly (in the same way as when I did wb and tb some years ago).
To reduce confusion it might also be better to just change the primary simple background tag to flat background since that will be more clear, IMO.
cheezedoodle
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Silver Bit -

Discussing this issue in the server discord channel, Lightningbolt supports updating simple to include gradients.
Background Pony #941A
After looking at some of these (and already setting up implications for a few) I am now starting to disagree that these tags should imply simple background. Many have gradients or abstract designs of one primary color and I would not want to discourage people from using the color background tag if it’s implied to only be wanted on solid color backgrounds.
If so, they’ll need to get definitions explaining that the background should be almost entirely the named color, or there will be people tagging every color in a background (eg. a forest with a sky could get green, brown, blue, and white) - I have already seen people try to use the tags this way even with the “simple background” implication.
To reduce confusion it might also be better to just change the primary simple background tag to flat background since that will be more clear, IMO.
Sounds good to me. I’ve definitely seen uses of “simple background” that I have to assume were applied by opinion of the background complexity vs. definition of being an unvarying color.
cheezedoodle
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -

I am polling the staff on:
A: Do nothing
B: Keep Simple Background to flat colors only, remove implications from colored background tags, rename the tag to Flat Background.
C: Expand Simple Background to include basic color gradients (gradient background tag)
D: Expand Simple Background to include gradients as above, plus abstract background (textures, basic shapes, etc. - the abstract background tag)
UnderwoodART
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Just Another Pink Pony
In my (unwarranted) opinion, simple background should refer to any background that doesn’t have drawn details: any variation of colours, stripes, shapes or gradients. When these patterns become complex, they fall into abstract background, which I wouldn’t consider “simple”, and I think should be fairly clear where that line is.
The thing is, I would also consider some “simple backgrounds” like vague clouds or implied geography to also fall into this tag, but that muddies the definition. Perhaps a new tag of basic background for low-detail drawings, but that might be too synonymous. In the end, I think it comes down to a matter of effort. Anything less than a “drawn” background should be “simple”.
The purpose of the background tag, however… I’ve used it to tag images somewhere between “simple” and “detailed”, but it is a little silly. Still, it helps differentiate from those without.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide