Alias "growling" and "snarl"?

LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
Was wondering to gather input on if growling and snarl should be aliased together (as imo they are functionally identical) and if so which one should be dominant?

If not, how are they different enough to be separate?
Oatsy
SMILE - Obsessed
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Bronze Bit -
Sapphire -
Cool Crow - "Futa!" An awesome tagger
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - Someone's gotta fix all those futa images.
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <Oatmeal> "If her age is on the clock, she's old enough for cock."
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Sometimes Not Dead
Technically the difference between a snarl and a growl is that a growl is the sound and a snarl is the smile accompanying a growl, but I don’t think anyone really cares enough to maintain the distinction.

If someone did care that much, the most correct option would be to have snarl imply growl, and then untag snarl from any growling image where they don’t show teeth.

If aliased, growl should be the dominant tag since it’s the broader of the two.
ArmadilloEater

Administrator
French Taunter
A snarl implies an open mouthed expression of anger, like this  
While a growl would be more the clenched teeth, like this  
The question is then, do we fix the tags and hope people see the difference, or do we alias them for convenience sake since they are very similar, all things considered.
Ren
Sunset Shimmer - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
A Perfectly Normal Pony - I hate white people, including myself.
Silver Supporter - Silver Patron
Artist -

is he alive?
@ArmadilloEater  
For those who were present when the issue was first brought up in IRC, this was my initial thought; I just couldn’t think how to voice it at the time.
Soarinjack
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
The 1% - Uploaded 1% or more of the site's images
Perfect Pony Plot Provider -
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

@ArmadilloEater  
More or less this.

Personally I see growling as an expression of displeasure or annoyance. Kinda like a dog upset about someone taking his bone. Or Applejack upset about thieving varmits. Even then, I wasn’t even aware we had a “growling” tag until now, I’ve so far used “gritted teeth” to cover this situation.

Snarl/snarling I see as a much more feral, aggressive, dangerous expression. If something is snarling at you, you better ne ready to fight for your life.

To use the images above;  
Growl - Daaw, look the doggy is upset…  
Snarl - Oh god, this beast is going to rip my throat out!

Is this enough to warrant two different tags? I’d argue it is, but that’s just my two cents.
Ren
Sunset Shimmer - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
A Perfectly Normal Pony - I hate white people, including myself.
Silver Supporter - Silver Patron
Artist -

is he alive?
rip my throat out

Someone has been reading the Warriors series.

Also, I agree. Though the question still remains of whether a majority of users will recognize this difference, and whether it’s then pertinent to consider them functionally similar enough to be used. Of course, I’m the same person who recently defined the difference between tail censor and tail covering, so I don’t have much room to ask that question.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ponies Online! - April 13-14

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: Done