Worst Episode?

Pony Discussion » Worst Episode? Search Posts
DoomPony
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Best Mood
Another runner-up is “Games Ponies Play”. I liked it when it first aired, but looking back on it, it’s got some major issues all the way down to its very core. Namely, there was no legit reason for Twilight & the gang to be there. They are not from the Crystal Empire, nor do they live there. Why were they called in when a local could probably have done a much better job?

The reason AJ gave was that the Crystal Ponies were to busy preparing (cleaning, building, training) to do the job. Which does seem like a backward plan. “Let’s prepare to host the EqGames, without doing the one thing that will determine if we even get to.”

On the fan!idea side, the six of them did a great job throwing together the wedding (invasion notwithstanding) and the Crystal Fair, maybe Cadance thought they’d do better than some random BPs. She did seem shocked that they failed.
Potatoguy

Yay!
For me, it’s Double Rainboom, I know it’s not an official episode and there’s worse, but why I consider it the worst? Simple, character assassination, pointless crossover, long and boring pacing and unnessessary internet and brony reference and memes. What official episode I consider the worst? Obviously, Spike at your Service. There was also character assassination, but at least the pacing were ok and, ignoring Spike being useless and a klutz and Twilight ignoring him when he was saying he’s leaving her because of this dragon code, still keep Applejack in-character.

The one I conseder the weakest is Mysterious Mare Do-Well, it could be better and it remind me of how not every super heroes don’t have superpower like Batman, who use gadgets.

Two-parters? Except Return of Harmony, the Pilot were more of an introduction to the characters, which I gonna exclude, A Canterlot Wedding could have a better start, The Crystal Empire could put the villain into a more menacing, not as a mist or something like that, but more as a physical threat, and Princess Twilight Sparkle? Umm, the only thing I can complain about it are just the innuendoes which doesn’t fit a show for childrens. I’m gonna say ACW
KirbyfanNeox

Magical Mystery Cure.  
I generally enjoy every episode for what it is, so I think I’m secretly still butthurt about Twilicorn, but the episode does have some problems which are perfect for me to justify my dislike of the episode while brushing aside any negativity towards the decision to make Twilight a princess.
Psyga315
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Thread Starter - We Are Our Avatars

The Fallen Brony
Ironically, my least favorite two-parter is an easy one: A Canterlot Wedding.

Let’s face it, whenever the show tries to make merchandise an important plot in the show, it always fails.

The first part had a very broken base with the last scene, rivaling that of “Elizabeth Swan making out with Jack Sparrow at the end of Dead Man’s Chest”. We can go on all day about that, but basically it’s only excuse is “or else there’d be no plot”, and honestly, I think they should have improved on that. Especially with what we know.

The villain seemed to be less of a masterful genius and more of a bumbling idiot that just happened to be lucky in doing the invasion. The episode also has a fumbling point of who the main character is. You would think the story is about Twilight Sparkle, but the two-parter does everything in it’s power to say “NOPE, EHEHE, IT’S THE RANDOM PIECE OF PLASTIC MERCHANDISE DAT’S THE HERO!”

Speaking of, we’re supposed to sympathize with these new pieces of plastic, but all I know about the characters is that one’s an ungrateful prick who’s a failure at protecting his nation and the generic damsel in distress whose personality is as dense and complex as a coloring book. Rather than make the characters likeable, they just go and showboat “LOOK HOW STRONG THEY ARE!”

The show is Friendship Is Magic, yet the last major thing we see of that theme is, ironically enough, the main character’s friend brushing her off for someone they barely knew. Heck, this sort of backstabs a previous moral. You know, a moral? Like the one they’ll punctuate to kids at the end of every episode? Yeah, Twilight was being a bitch, but I don’t think anyone would realistically continue their work with a bitchy bride, even if she was under stress. “Oh, she’s singing a song about how she doesn’t love the groom? Eeeeh, stress!”

On a minor point, everyone seems to have taken anti-depressants after the whole invasion. I mean, EVERYONE! Cadance has a reason to be happy, but Celestia and Shining Armor almost had their city be destroyed, Twilight nearly lost her friends or worse, got killed, and the citizens suffered the heavier damages from the changeling attack. Yet they’re treating it like “just another Saturday.” Would this realistically happen? I know it’s a cartoon and all, but for how seriously they did the whole invasion thing, you’d think seriousness would follow up. But nope. “DANCE TIME!” Ever wonder why people were angry at Luna rather than laughing at the lampshading of her not being in the show?

So yeah. That’s my least favorite two-parter. A perfect finale though… for a mean-spirited season. Seriously, nearly every episode of Season 2 had the ponies be utter dicks. It’s perfect that Canterlot Wedding capitalized on it. There was that time everyone was a dick to children. And yeah, that’s my worst one part episode, since it finally introduced me to how much of an irredeemable monster Diamond Tiara was.
TagAnon
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

but I don’t think anyone would realistically continue their work with a bitchy bride

I’m pretty sure this isn’t the case since they found enough examples to make a reality show around that sort of thing IIRC.

Anyhow. Yes, Spike at Your Service was just jarringly bad. The timberwolves were blatantly rendered in 3D in a traditionally 2D environment (at least up until very recently). Spike was somehow totally incompetent at his usual tasks of cooking and cleaning (and Granny Smith is apparently nonplussed by him ruining her baking project). At the same time, he’s good at whatever it is the manes expect him to fail at. The episode could easily have centered on Spike struggling with the rigors of farm work since he’s so small, young, and overeager, but that barely came up. The springing the fake trap scene was painful to listen to. The super timberwolf choking on a rock just wasn’t that funny (if it can assemble itself from so much forest material, how the heck does a single stone out of place so easily destroy it?)

[EDIT:] Almost forgot the parts where Twilight is just outright ignoring Spike, especially after her promises to him in the S3 opener.

From the posts I’ve seen here about MMDW, it really does seem worse in retrospect. I once dismissed the notion that the perilous locations and the dam were out of place since - at the time - I thought the writers were using S2 to expand on Ponyville; perhaps the town was growing. But now that we’re in S4 and these things have neither reappeared nor been accounted for in the background details, they really do seem to be bothersome and out-of-place when one thinks of world-building in this series.

As for worst two-parter… Eh, I’ve never had high hopes for them before watching them, but none of them have ever struck me as show-breakingly bad and some of them are actually pretty solid. As for ACW, yes, Cadence and Shining Armor get shoehorned in hard, but that’s because Faust hadn’t gotten that far in setting up Cadence and Hasbro’s meddling was pushing them through. At the very least this was acknowledged by the other manes asking “why haven’t you brought [Shining Armor] up before?”
Farnesy911
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Twixie Should Be Canon
My least favourite episode would have to be ‘Putting Your Hoof Down’. I actually started as something of a fan of Fluttershy back when I first started watching the show. She was cute…and that was about it. But after this episode, my opinion of her flipped right around. Acting like a colossal bitch, and being treated like she’d done something important by the end of the episode. Even the first time I watched it, I was seething and desperately wanted to reach through the screen and slap her across the face. But wait, there’s more! Some of my favourite moments are between Rarity and Pinkie Pie. This episode was like dangling a carrot in front of my face, and when I go to bite it, I get kicked in the balls. It was a boring, and yet horribly annoying episode that almost permanently ruined my opinion of a main character.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
Least favourite is a toss-up between MMDW (for obvious reasons) and Owls well that ends well (for the stupid contrivances regarding Spike’s reason to the Owl I’m not even going to attempt to spell its name).

Least favourite two-parter? Easy: Friendship is Magic, or as I like to call it, Contrivance is Magic. Yes, I will grant you that it suffers from the dreaded TV disease called first-episode-itis, but that doesn’t excuse its failings; mainly it’s eigan plot and lame villain, not to mention the glurge-fest, akin to a Jonathan “I went to Africa and saw a Gazelle” Archer, speech on the “magic of friendship”.
Questionmarktarius
Platinum bit -
Emerald -

Call of the Cutie.

All it really accomplished was setting up Stare Master and Show Stoppers, being an excruciatingly preachy thinly-disguised late-puberty story while doing so.
aoqazu

Least favorite episode: Spike at Your Service. No. Just, no. Dishonorable mentions to MMDW and MotFE.

Least favorite two-parter: The Crystal Empire. It’s not bad, but it was nothing more than a toy tie in with a villain that wasn’t fleshed out enough to make me care.
Farnesy911

Twixie Should Be Canon
Oops, I forgot about this! My least favourite two-parter was the season two premier. I don’t like Discord; I don’t think he’s as cool, funny or interesting as Q, and I’m not really a fan of reality warpers anyway. Having him turn most of the Mane Six into annoying arseholes for an episode is not my idea of fun either.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide