What if Scootaloo is just a late bloomer? (SPOILER: S04E05)

Pony Discussion » What if Scootaloo is just a late bloomer? (SPOILER: S04E05) Search Posts
Background Pony #BBA3
People seem to be saying “Flight to the Finish” confirmed that Scootaloo will never be able to fly, but I watched it, and these people seem to be reading their headcanons into the episode, because it was very open-ended.

Sweetie Belle can’t do magic yet (a fact that I was surprised she didn’t bring up in the episode), so why isn’t everyone saying she’s a cripple? In fact, now that I think about it, Apple Bloom can’t buck apples and isn’t great at farming. They also don’t have their cutie marks yet, unlike many other fillies their age; they all seem to just be late bloomers (and bumbling failures in a lot of areas).

Why does Scootaloo seem to be the go-to pony for fanfic headcanons? People also say she’s homeless (Jossed by yesterday’s episode) and an orphan, and there’s so much Scootabuse. I’ve never seen anyone claim or even consider that Sweetie Belle will never be able to do magic.

Basically, tl,dr: Why y’all gotta pick on Scoots so much?
Grieffon
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Bronze Bit -
Artist -
Happy Derpy! -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <Grieffon> it does kinda dry out a bit with fast strokes

h
I think it is because her sister figure is Rainbow Dash. Apple Bloom can help with farming just fine. Sweetie Belle doesn’t seem that much interested in becoming a fashion designer like Rarity (I remember she did once, but only as a CM attempt), and even if she does, hooves can work fine. Scootaloo, however, admires the fastest pegasus in Equestria for her ability to fly.

AB is not interested in becoming AJ, SB is not interested in becoming Rarity, but Scootaloo wants to be someone like Rainbow Dash, and the huge difference in flying ability makes her the target. Let’s say SB was Twilight’s sister, I think the it would be the same for her.
Itsthinking
Princess Ember - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
They’re all late bloomers. They also all have the wrong idea about the importance of getting a cutie mark and don’t realize crusading is counterproductive.

And yeah, it’s because she wants to be like Rainbow Dash. But RD said that she’s her own pony, she doesn’t have to fly to be like her.
Background Pony #986F
Given what I saw, I’ve come to the conclusion that she won’t be able to fly. In fact, I think her wings will serve an entirely different purpose and that’s to propel herself on her scooter.
ClownDicks
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

They were saying it confirmed that? Because it seems to me like they went out of their way to avoid addressing it.

And we haven’t seen many unicorns Sweetie’s age magic-ing. We’ve seen plenty of pegasi Scoots’ age flying.
Lord WyrmSpawN
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Lingering Wyvern
The thing to remember about Sweetie is that magic is hardly a big deal for many normal unicorns.

She could never do proper magic and few would care.
Sono

Rainbow’s right though, so what if she can’t fly, she’s pretty boss with that scooter. She probably will learn to fly eventually, but probably won’t use it much in favor of scootin’.
Background Pony #BBA3
@Grieffon  
@Itsthinking  
That covers the never flying thing, but why all the “homeless Scootaloo”, “orphan Scootaloo” and “Scootabuse” fanon? For some reason we really seem to love picking on the poor filly.

@Background Pony  
@Sono  
She came pretty damn close to flying multiple times. She probably won’t be on the level of Dash or maybe even Fluttershy, but I find it highly unlikely that she’ll never be able to keep herself off the ground for extended periods of time.
twilightxtrixie

Background Pony #50FE is right. Scootaloo can fly, she just can’t fly as well as others. Sweetie Belle will eventually do magic, she hasn’t had her magic surge yet.
Playah

Rainbow Dash certainly didn’t shoot down the possibility of Scootaloo not flying. “Maybe you’ll fly some day, or maybe you won’t.”  
With that being as vague as it is, it can go either way…  
And fanon DOES go both ways. Maybe one more than the other, but it does go both ways.
Cosmonaut
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Meatball Salesman
Her wings are too small and not strong enough to support her, her worrying is akin to a kid going ‘what if I never get tall!’ when it’s really nothing to fret over… at least for Pegasi… I think.
JP
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I miss the show so much
@Cosmonaut  
All pegasi (even the adults) have too small wings to actually carry them. Plus they aren’t flapping them hard enough to stay airborne. It is implied it’s magic that actually carries them (wings are used to signal the magic that “okay, I want to fly now” and for steering), it’s possible Scoots simply doesn’t know how to do magic.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide