Unpopular opinion time

Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
@CORDZ2000
That’s cause the Shadowy Alicorn has a larger and taller build than the Mane 6. Heck, you can say the same for the G5 Mane 5 where they have the same body shapes aside from colors, hair, species and such.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
It’s definitely a consequence of early design vs later design. Before, background characters were just that, but then it turns out that the fandom actually paid attention to those window dressings so the character designers put more effort into them instead of just having more copy-paste models.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
@CORDZ2000
Eh, some of the G5 background ponies look kinda bland and dull design wise to me. The ones from G4 were a lot more varied and interesting even with the copious amounts of copy/paste
CORDZ2000

Draconequues Lover zcord
@Mr.Myoozik
yes it does my point wasn’t that overall g5 designs are more interesting than g4. but that the other ponies often have more unique ones than the mane six themselves. Discord has one of the most unique designs out there, he ofc isn’t a pony tho
CORDZ2000

Draconequues Lover zcord
It’s definitely a consequence of early design vs later design. Before, background characters were just that, but then it turns out that the fandom actually paid attention to those window dressings so the character designers put more effort into them instead of just having more copy-paste models.
This is a good point yeah
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
@Wiimeiser
To be fair to the Mane Six it is easy to for us to take them for granted since they have been around for so long, but they truly were revolutionary designs back in 2010.
Maybe in 2013, we took them for granted but they were still great designs that reflected their personalities and/or simply looked good.
Of course it is good for other background ponies to deviate from the normal pony template.
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
@Wiimeiser
Still I do think other ponies are cooler with more experimental designs. After all Derpy was around since the first season, when she was made, she was a completly ordinary background pegasus until people discovered her eyes
Ironic how the weirdest ponies like Derpy and Lyra look like the most average ponies instead of some weird looking ones.
Anyways in the later seasons they seemed to experiment with more manestyles like Cordz showed us.
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Explorer in Training
I don’t know if I like the IDW’s version of Shining x Cadance.
It feels kind of boring.
You take a fairy tale romance in Season 2. You could have their be epic adventures. Epic quest. A tale of a military cadet impressing a princess.
Nah. Let’s turn it into a cheesy 80s romcom and turned Shining into a D and D guy. It makes me think of Shining as even more pathetic and boring.
I don’t know. I kind of wish they would have went into a parody of Disney films similar to A Princess Bride, not 80s high school movies. I think it would have fit with Shining as a soldier more.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@Cosmas-the-Explorer
Comics #11 & #12, right?
Equestria was written to be a weird mix of (mostly) European fantasy and horse!America. Sometimes it works, and sometimes you end up with something that wouldn’t be out of place in one of those ‘the characters, but in high school!’ fanfics I remember seeing all the time years ago.
Even though, like you said, we’re dealing with a royal guard and a freaking princess in a fantasy world. Yeah, typical high school drama isn’t what I think of when looking at the characters…
That said, I also remember loving the ‘plot twist’ that the jock grew up to be a much better person and he’s now friends with Shining.
@Phoenixflambe
“He’s the Captain of the Guard only because he’s dating Celestia’s niece” is a joke I never tire of hearing.
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Explorer in Training
@Roseluck
I also dislike 80s nostalgia and references in general. For me, I always preferred to see MLP as taking place in the 1910s to 1930s or earlier. Recent enough for skyscrapers and schools while old fashioned enough to still feel like a fairy tale and to have some level of class. 1980s is too recent and lacks class. Yeah I know this is subjective.
@Phoenixflambe
“He’s the Captain of the Guard only because he’s dating Celestia’s niece” is a joke I never tire of hearing.
Poor Shining. He will always be known as a goddamn moron for all eternity. lol.
Ring Team
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

I think what made the IDW comic about Shining Armor and Cadence work was the reaction of the characters. Very exaggerated and very expressive, but not obnoxious and in service of the story and the character contrast. I think these little details made the story work. It’s not specifically what the story is, is how you tell the story. Because of that, that comic is very good.
I still haven’t read everything about IDW. I’ve read the “Twilight Vs Chrysalis” comic, I’ve read the comic where Luna takes Celestia’s place in order for her to rest, I’ve read the story about Twilight’s favourite writer (this one is my favourite), I’ve read about Pinkie Pie’s favourite clown, I’ve read the Cadence romance story… but that’s it. I think I’ve stopped reading these in 2015.
EDIT: And I think I’ve read the one where Big Macintosh thinks in monologues.
Ring Team
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

@Phoenixflambe
Not at the moment, because, while I stopped reading these comics that summer 2015, I’m 100% sure that, if I go back, eventually I’m gonna find a comic where Starlight might be a major focus, and I haven’t found a way to distinguish the comics featuring her from the comics without her. It’s like the Russian Roulette but with ponies.
I tend to be a very patient person, even more than I should. And most of the time I stand things that I don’t need to stand, including things that give me the slightest amount of increasing anxiety. So why bother?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide