Unpopular opinion time

CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
@Wayneponeth
u said it yourself all it took was a wink and some flowers for celestia to be ok xD
And I think discord is a awesome character, cool and is the sexiest male in the show. it is what it is.
WaynePonePone
Fluttershy - For supporting the site
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Gold Supporter - Gold Supporter
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Flutters Hitchy Glimglam
@Andyxdr
And I have the right to want Starlight to get a fair treatment. I know people hate her ideology but we still need some form of equality.
People are willing to overlook one character’s past and present misdemeanor while the other still gets crucified for only the past. Again, how’s that fair?
Latecomer

@Andyxdr
They certainly failed to please a lot of people, though - he’s a highly controversial character. (Which I suppose would please HIM, at least.)
And Lightning Dust works well enough as the jerk she is, IMO.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
Discord, Starlight, Lightning Dust… So many years have gone by and still these names heat up the minds of us fans ;-D
Discord is a former villain who can’t be good, or at least not good in the sense of well-mannered and well-behaved, that it would kill him in the truest sense of the word. Starlight was a character with relatively weak backstory gave the show a new direction that angered many older fans. And one that divides opinion depending on how much you believe in the concept of redemption. And Lightning Dust was a low-level character that did indeed fall victim to the writers.
From the comics, I think you can see how some of the minor villains were generally handled. See “Siege of the Crystal Empire.” Iron Will, Lightning Dust and the Flim Flam Brothers are good for a team-up, only to be left out by the two much larger villains (Chrysalis/Sombra). After that they don’t play a role anymore.
What I’m saying is: MLP G4 never really had a knack for really good villains, in my opinion. And when they did, they were usually sacrificed to the plot. Well, let’s see what G5 has going for it. So far… Not really. But maybe that will come. Hope dies last. Although I must admit, so far I actually liked G5 Discord quite a bit. Sprout, meh. And jeez, was the model and the color scheme of the Shadowly Alicorn augenfeindlich ;-)
TheQuietMan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Wallet After Summer Sale -

House of the Arcana
@Wayneponeth
Sorry for the long waited reply, simply had no time. So I’ll be brief. Green Goblin is kind of strange. At first, Norman intentionally wanted to be a crime lord via doing legit business, after falling out with his son and some complications, he attempts to recreate the super soldier serum. Thanks to Harry’s tampering, the serum was tainted and he became the Goblin. Since then, after years of insanity that only gets worse and the more heinous crimes he did plus witnessing his son’s death, Norman began to feel regret but couldn’t make amends due to the persona being dominant. After a very long time, he’s finally cured and starting a new life with his grandson.
But yeah, still it’s only like a while since the villains of Equestria did these things. Heck, even Sombra had a somewhat sympathetic origin.
WaynePonePone
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).

Flutters Hitchy Glimglam
@DarkObsidian
For the longest time, I thought only Starlight is hated. Her hate seems so much more vocal and so much more frequent. It happens everywhere and it feels like it’s a generally accepted thing, like hating her is the right thing to do while liking her is the wrong opinion or something. Everyone seems to be so fine with Discord and Lightning Dust. I remember seeing someone getting angry over a background cameo of her that happens for about 5 seconds. Lightning Dust and Discord don’t get that. They’re usually praised whenever they appear, even though their behavior is usually negative. They can probably actually kill one of the main characters and people will still go head over heels for them but if Starlight literally only breathes, she’d be called the worst character ever, literally ruined the show, or shouldn’t exist at all. I don’t even hate Lightning Dust but I can see clearly she has more fans than haters, while Starlight seems to have more haters than fans. It’s from years of observing the fandom from a distance that makes me believe the whole fandom hates Starlight Glimmer, at least the majority as far as I can see. So as a person who likes underdog characters (Fluttershy, Scootaloo), I naturally can’t handle people overly hate on her.
I don’t know. It just hurts. When Glimglam tries so hard to improve herself only to get shafted so hard. I don’t even care how people feel about Discord or any other characters anymore. They all have a lot of fans already while Starlight is thrown in a ditch. I just wish Starlight’s hate wasn’t so… obvious and major. And that liking her feels like the wrong thing to do. Feels like I’m the odd one out sometimes.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
The Romance of the Three Hatedoms
(laughs) I am on the side of whoever is Liu Bei in that case. Shu Han 4 life. ;-)
The first thing many thought of when they seen shadowy alicorn was chrysalis
I almost liked the fan theory that it was Flurry Heart gone evil better.(Eye roll and wry grin) ^^
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
Well, I can understand you. Very well, in fact. As I always say, the April Fool’s joke about Comrade Starlight at the time was what brought me to this site in the first place. But apart from that, I only share your view to a certain extent. Or rather, I see things a little differently based on my experience.
First of all, I don’t necessarily get the impression that most fans hate Starlight. Rather that those who hate her are really very loud in order to attract attention, so to speak. Starlight fans, on the other hand, tend to be more reserved. Probably also because each of us has already made the experience that one can hardly debate rationally against irrational hate. Unless you go into rage mode yourself. And that doesn’t really bring the whole thing to any good result.
Secondly, I think the hatred of Starlight is irrational from my point of view because it misses one of the essential core concepts of the show. And that is the principle of friendship and redemption. You could argue that Discord wasn’t forgiven at the beginning, and that Tirek was locked up again. True enough. But who was forgiven first? Correct. Luna. Fan favorite and for some certainly best princess (not mine). But wasn’t Nightmare Moon about to cover the whole world in eternal darkness? And just like Starlight, she had to suffer from this guilt even later. Yet she was forgiven and reformed. Similar to Discord. Only he can’t become lawful good because of his nature. And that’s basically the funny thing about his personality.
Well, what I’m getting at is: Starlight’s redemption is absolutely in the tradition of the show. The problem was that the show took a much different direction with season 5. And that would basically be blamed on Starlight without questioning it. An attitude that is just … misguided in my opinion, but hey, so what? At this point, fans are welcome to debate whether the show changed for the better, or the worse, with Starlight’s appearance. That’s fine - as long as one remains polite. Which, due to the negative feelings of some people, can sometimes degenerate into a quarrel. Especially if then such arguments come that the show would have focused too much on Starlight. Even though there are numerous counterarguments to this thesis.
This remains just one last point that comes up again and again: Is Starlight a Mary Sue? Or in the worst case a simple Sunset Shimmer clone? And there again, counter-arguments can be found. Whether one like all this or not, well, that’s up to everyone alone, of course. But I can also understand why some fans have their problems with it. On the other hand, as a Starlight fan, you have to realize again and again that some of her “haters” often make it way too easy for themselves. Like ignoring the fact that she wasn’t defeated like other villains, but willingly gave up and accepted Twilight’s reached out hoof. But such “ minor details “ are often overlooked in these discussions.
Yes, it’s true. As a Starlight “defender” you have to stay a little bit persistent. It is nerve-racking, I admit. But what fandom doesn’t have this kind of discussion? The only thing you should always point out to people is that good manners often bring more than just senseless bashing. But it’s human nature to want to protect what you love. Even if it sometimes means hurting other people’s feelings and not showing consideration for others. Which is a real pity. Especially when, in truth, some “critics” are only concerned about that, in their opinion, their favorite pony is stolen precious screen time. But the show has addressed this problem among other things with “Fame and Misfortune”. Even if one may be quite divided about this episode too.
Conclusion: The hatred for Starlight often seems so omnipresent because her character reveals several weak points within the show. Like giving a character a weak background for its motivation. Or no explanation at all for one’ s own (magical) abilities. And she stands for a change that not everyone necessarily likes. I wouldn’t worry too much about that. Sometimes you have to accept that proxy wars are fought on the back of a character within a fandom. Often that doesn’t have much to do with the character as such. At least that’s my opinion after all these years. And it certainly hasn’t changed my love for Starlight ;-)
[sorry, the wall of text, I’m sick in bed at the moment and had nothing better to do, hust!] ^^
Edit: Nah, I love to write long and extensively, just as I am in real life very… talkative, to put it to put it in a polite way. ;-D
Amen!
Sometimes I don’t know if the writers are lazy or just want to point out in their own way that this is still a big problem even (and especially) in our human society - spreading hatred and resentment among each other and setting people against each other.
CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
@DarkObsidian
man don’t fall for that bait pity party, starlight just got 500 votes a few days ago on a image on her face alone and consistently gets massive upvotes. starlight to me is a popular overrated character same as derpy, u don’t see me going around why don’t people support discord as much as her. Starlight is given legitimate critism on her arc just like any other character, but she isn’t so incredibly universally hated and/or loved and neither is discord, don’t fall for that trap. wayn wants u to feel sorry for him. So he can keep complaining until he is old and on his last days on earth instead of moving on from a fictional character and doin something else with his life.
WaynePonePone

Flutters Hitchy Glimglam
Honestly it has progressed to the point that not that many people seem to hate Starlight all that much anymore, but it still hurts sometimes to see posts that either simply hate on Starlight or questions you for liking Starlight.
Anyway, I guess I should get out of here now. Since apparently I’m just trying to disallow people from liking a character and that I’m a pathetic loser for sharing something. People sure know me well about my life and how I will live for the rest of it and that I’m just trying to find pity instead of discussing about a franchise I’m so passionate about. It’s okay. I’ll be leaving now. I won’t be sharing any opinions here anymore, unpopular or otherwise.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
Too bad to hear that. But good, I can understand. And sometimes it’s good to keep a little distance from certain threads. Before it starts to pull you down further. If something is, just let me know.
Hmm… I don’t know. Not everything you want to discuss online is necessarily a trap. Sometimes you just like to share yourself with others. And I respect that. Can understand, however, if that’s not everyone’s cup of tea ;-)
Well, but I also did not expect as if with the end of G4 also already all discussions about it ended. And I’m curious, which debates we will all still lead, once G5 has progressed any further. ;-D
Like Twilight is a good leader? (grin) Nah, sorry. Just kiddin’. I love purple panic princess. ^^
CORDZ2000

Draconequues Lover zcord
@DarkObsidian
I love twilight too, she’s my 3rd fav character, is twilight being a good leader a popular opinion?
I think back when she use to be snarky being more fun is a popular one
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ponies Online! - April 13-14

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide