Unpopular opinion time

Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

I don’t know, being so critical to The ending of the end because of Discord when the show had episodes with similar problems is a bit silly. In fact, I’m glad that this episode ended up being super crazy because, by the time I was finishing the show, I accepted all the jank. Rainbow Dash being a jerk, Pinkie Pie being annoying, Starlight being a sociopath, Big Macintosh saying “eeeyup” over and over again, Trixie repeating over and over again “the great and powerful” (because giving more layers to a character is a relic of the past), the excess of superlatives, the lack of consistency and continuity, Cozy Glow and her lack of character, etc.

The ending of the end embraces all this jank in a way that it’s surprisingly fun. It’s like watching The Room just for the laughs.
Ring Team
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing bad with a simple character. The Simpsons have very simple characters and some of them are really funny, like Mr. Burns and the comic book guy.

However, Trixie was just a character for 2 episodes. After the season 6, they wanted her to come back by popular demand, and I think she took up space with lazy work. If it wasn’t for her, we could get more new characters instead of pointless returns, like Iron Will or the Flim Flam Brothers.
Dex Stewart
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
I wish we actually had gotten episodes focusing on side characters. Don’t you wonder what Little Strongheart is up to? How about seeing what Zecora does all day? It just feels like there was tons of untapped potential to explore all those side characters they built up over several years.
Ring Team
Artist -

@Dex Stewart  
To me, it depends. As much as I love Over a Barrel (one of my 10 favourite MLP episodes), I don’t think Little Strongheart should get another episode. The fact that characters such as the Flim Flam brothers, Caballeron, Iron Will and Trixie returned many times create the problem of “I wish this other character returned like these ones”. They have focused so much on popular demand that these solutions created more popular demands. I think the only characters I wanted to return (in the best possible way, not in a lazy way) were Chrysalis and Coco Pommel.

But overall, I prefer new characters, new worlds, etc.
Ring Team
Artist -

@Angrybrony  
It depends. The writers of Starlight and Trixie have always done whatever they felt like doing, but sometimes their episodes are either Starlight being crazy and Trixie being the voice of reason (like Student Counsel) or Trixie being crazy and Starlight being the voice of reason (like All bottled up and A horse shoe-in).

Regardless of how anyone feel about these two characters, their episodes are either insanely simple or insanely disjointed. Like, I blinked in one episode and then suddenly I watched Trixie ruining Twilight’s school with her magic tricks. Because of that, I think the worst season of the last three seasons was the seventh one to me, because at least the seasons 8 and 9 had some variety.
CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
a good thing i think to remember when judging the characters in the show is that the show isn’t about them being heroes. its about friendship and them growing as friends
CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
@WyrmSpawN  
i say this because of some of the criticism the show is given is the cast often not doing righteous things, but i see them being heroes as honestly a subplot. While the characters growing as friends is presented as the most important thing. And its taken to its logical extreme at times with characters doing extreme things in the name of friendship.
CORDZ2000

Draconequues Lover zcord
@Background Pony #E848  
yeah this is true, and in general mlp is not as black and white as many seem to believe it actually falls under something called “Morality Kitchen Sink” where characters are all over the spectrum of “good” or “evil” with plenty characters u could argue falling into the middle of the spectrum. Like there isn’t one “pure” good character like superman in G4 mlp at least.
Ring Team
Artist -

@CORDZ2000  
I don’t have any problem with that. Putting your hoof down, one of my 5 favourite episodes, is one of the most “grey” episodes. And Steven Universe ended up being a show about characters instead of “heroes and villains” in a way that you end up loving these characters.

My problem is when a character, after desiring a change on his attitude, ended up being a hypocrite for no reason in a way that no one in the show question him afer doing very questionable mistakes. Not once, but constantly.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@Ring Team

>listing a Merriweather Williams episode as one of your favourites

Now that’s an unpopular opinion if I ever heard one…if we were back when season 4 was airing. I’ve got nothing against that choice, but for me it shows how in hindsight the laser-focus on who wrote an episode as an objective measure of its quality was pretty silly.

It’s not that who wrote it shouldn’t be taken into account, but using that fact as the be-all-and-end-all of whether or not an episode is good is stupid. Merriweather Williams is the ur-example if you’re from the [relatively] early fandom (like I am), where during season 2 especially, seeing her name attached to an episode caused a heap of apprehension on account of the then most controversial episode ever™️ MMDW. When all is said and done, she arguably had more hits than misses when it comes to good episodes.

It’s why I say that said attitude towards the writers was really stupid in hindsight, and sincerely wonder what the hell came over us in order to take that approach. I say “us” because I was just as guilty of this as anyone else.
Ring Team
Artist -

Umm… Ok, I guess?

I mean, Josh Harber and Michael Vogel are to me the worst writers in the show, but that doesn’t mean The Last problem and On your marks are bad. In fact, The last problem was a fantastic way to finish the show and On your marks was the only episode that made me say “I’m glad I watched an episode from season 6”.
Latecomer

@Ebalosus  
Pattern-finding is how people work. For a writer to make their debut with a bad episide, with no built-up credit, it’s obvious they would take the blame - and that any later episodes of their’s woukd come under stricter scrutiny, with a sense of “guilty until proven innocent”. If the episodes aren’t obviously good, then they’ll be seen as further evidence aganst the writer.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ponies Online! - April 13-14

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide