Unpopular opinion time

Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

I had a random thought lately: I used to think the EG films were underwhelming because, even though they were MLP films, they weren’t exactly the films I wanted in the first place.

However, after watching the 2017 MLP film hundreds of times, it’s far easier for me to appreciate these films for what they are rather than for what they aren’t. The EG films I liked were the first one and the fourth one, Friendship Games was really boring and Rainbow Rocks was my least favourite film in 2014.

Come to think of it, I should give Rainbow Rocks another chance. I still have it in my hard drive disc. Maybe I’ll watch it to have a second opinion.
CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
People who treat discord as if he has no redeeming qualities and cares for absolutely no one but fluttershy either don’t understand his character and didnt pay attention, watch too many dwk videos or all of the above.
Ring Team
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

@CORDZ2000  
The first time I watched Rainbow Rocks, I didn’t like it. I thought the dialogue was too childish, the villains weren’t too interesting (three villains doing a jab at each other is not an interesting scenario), the songs were too pop-music for my taste (which is ironic in a movie called Rainbow ROCKS), the context of the film was too inconsistent and Rainbow Dash was a jerk during the entire film, which also doesn’t make sense after apoligizing to her friends in the first film.

The only thing I liked in the entire film was Sunset Shimmer, not because of what it is, but because what I wished it was. You have a character confronting the consequences of her previous actions. Everyone hates her. She knows she made a huge mistake. She wants to fix this problem. She wants to make friends after all the disaster she did in the first movie. It could have felt like a very relatable continuation of the 2013 film. But not only there’s not enough development, she’s also used as a tool, a character that we can make the same joke about her previous actions four or five times (something that they would repeat again in the third and fourth EG films).

It’s a pity, because I think it’s a really good idea for a story.

That said, I’ll watch it again and give it a second chance. I used to hate that film many years ago, but now that I have the 2017 MLP film, it could be fun to rewatch the second and third EG films from a different angle. Judging for what it is instead of what it isn’t.

EDIT: About Flash Sentry, like everyone else, I think he’s a very basic character, with three lines in each EG film and not much more than that. That said, what makes less sense than Flash Sentry as a character is Twilight Sparkle suddenly falling in love with him in a blink of an eye. I still think it’s the first of many signs that the MLP writers don’t know how to write an interesting story.

I’m not sure if people don’t mention that and instead they used Flash Sentry as a punchline for every criticism of the EG films because they love Twilight Sparkle so much, but I think people should think of that detail.
CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
@Ring Team  
Ok so in the camp of flash being a bland character too, unpopular opinion if flash keep getting expanded on in the everfree movie he would actually be a really good character
Background Pony #4586
@CORDZ2000  
Well, she did reform, and while that’s true she was a dictator, she became a dictator this cause of sunburst getting his cutie mark.

She did eventually become better.
Ring Team
Artist -

@CORDZ2000  
Umm… yes and no. I agree that the problems Rainbow Rocks has are the same problems this show has, like the sudden romance of a character, the change of a character, a huge lack of continuity or the villain dynamic (the villain dynamic from Rainbow Rocks is the same as the villains from Frenemies in season 9). But I don’t agree that every single critique is applied to the show.

For example, Twilight is much more mature in the show than in the first two EG films, where she, for some reason, falls in love with a person she doesn’t know because of a lack of time spent in writing this relationship. Also, the animation in the EG films don’t have the same energy as the ponies from the TV show. The animations and the gestures are very stiff, like they’re Barbie dolls. They’re not as expressive as the characters from the show.

The TV show as well as the EG films have so different contexts that thinking the critiques should be equally applied is a bit silly.
Ring Team
Artist -

@CORDZ2000  
100% agree with that. I think people like to be superstitious and don’t like questioning if this is a good idea or not. After all, the more people will like something or someone, the more ridiculous would someone be when he or she doesn’t agree. That person would be a target. Why would that person disagree?
CORDZ2000

Draconequues Lover zcord
I have heard a interesting counterpoint to that before is that twilight and the rest of the human 6 are both a teenagers and lacking in the character development the mane 6 had overseasons because u know they haven’t went through the same things.
Ring Team
Artist -

@CORDZ2000  
I’ve heard that back in 2013, but considering how mature and intelligent Twilight was (she was just too obsessed with books that she hasn’t made any friends in season 1), it’s a bit ridiculous.

Although, compared to other inconsistencies this show or the EG film has, it’s one of the most harmless.
Spinny
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Resident Spin Fetishist
@Ring Team

Yeah, there have always been some very high expectations where Sunset is concerned, and they were always higher than they deserved to be. The idea that she would be an alicorn once she crossed back through the portal was a fairly popular one.

Oh, and speaking of, remember when the comics actually had the unmitigated gall to do this shit?!

Fuck off with this shit! Acting like they can just bring Sunset back to Equestria for whatever reason they damn well please. Yeah, this is exactly the short of bullshit that fuels the entitlement surrounding her. Also, just fuck the comics in general sense as well.

Ring Team
Artist -

I didn’t hear any wish related to “I hope Sunset becomes an alicorn”, probably because back then I wasn’t that active in Derpibooru. What I did hear was a wish that’s basically “put Sunset Shimmer in the show” since the EG film came out. Back then, I didn’t find the idea very appealing, but after watching the fourth EG film, I can see why.

Speaking of that idea, I still think Starlight’s appearance in season 5 was the answer to that petition. Sunset and Starlight have lots of things in common.
Latecomer

@CORDZ2000  
He had two largely unrelated sets of points, really, and the show suffered from conflating them.

@Spinny  
Not that I’m a comics fan, but… now that she’s resolved her issues with Celestia, why can’t she come back whenever she feels like it? She kind of goes to school next to Ponyville and all.
DragonBoi471
Duck - Does Anypony Else even feel like Reading What I Say?
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Artist -

*Durgon Noises*
@Spinny
Not that I’m a comics fan, but… now that she’s resolved her issues with Celestia, why can’t she come back whenever she feels like it? She kind of goes to school next to Ponyville and all.

I second this.

Come to think of it, the only time we actually saw Sunset in the show proper was in an (unfortunately brief) cameo appearance during The Last Problem’s musical number:  
>>2338374t (merged)
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide