Unpopular opinion time

Background Pony #E848
@WyrmSpawN  
Even more so when you are employed, even even more so when you are an asexual person, even even even more so when you are having more responsibilities (tied with employment).
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Yeah, I think that was a problem with MLP. Nobody expected the show to last for 9 seasons. We got more episodes, which means some of them are good. But it also means some other episodes are bad or filler.
Ring Team
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

I don’t know. In season 1 I think there’s only one episode that I didn’t like. In season 2 there are only 3 episodes I didn’t like. In comparison to my experience with other seasons, the first seasons were better to me.
Latecomer

@Ring Team  
I also loved Season 1, and found seasons mostly got worse as I went along… but even 2 had many weak points in, and 7 was one of my favourites. So I don’t think the show being too long is an excuse for it not being good.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
@Background Pony #E848  
Big time. I already said this in another thread, but even the best writers suffer from burnout or massive amounts of writer’s block when something goes on for long.

@DoctorWTF  
Having new writers isn’t a bad thing though, it’s really what the new ones bring forward to the table. A lot of the times, you can’t expect the same writers to stay on board a project for so long, like say have Conan O’Brien stay a writer for The Simpsons for all 30+ of its seasons. If the new writers managed to crank out some fresh good episodes then that’s that and if they submit in crap, then oh well.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
Honestly, the whole experience was a 6/10. Not bad, slightly above average, but still a by-the-numbers kids show. I didn’t hate the experience. I wasn’t bored out of my mind most through most of it. It was okay.

But damn did it have the potential to go places if you think about it for too long. Some of those places it couldn’t let alone wouldn’t. I think, in the end, that is where most of the show’s adoration comes from: the potential.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@Latecomer

Pretty much this, and while I agree with Ring Team that if you cut the filler, you could make a hypothetical great FiM in just 3-4 seasons, the controversy arises in defining filler or what could be cut.

Because of how FiM is structured, episodes that are technically filler, also build the world and define the characters.
Ring Team
Artist -

@Latecomer  
I don’t know, the season 7 is one of my least favourite seasons and one of the seasons that I don’t need to go back to. It has great episodes, such as Campfire Tales, Parental Glideance, A flurry of emotions and Mark & Recreation. But it has some problems.

-Most of the returns of previous characters, such as Iron Will and Daring Do, are pointless.  
-Some episodes are copies of other episodes. Forever Filly is too similar to Sisterhooves Social.  
-Some episodes are filler, like Triple Threat, Hard to say anything and Secrets and Pies.  
-Pinkie Pie only appears just to be annoying or creepy, like Secrets and Pies.  
-The Starlight episodes are misleading, confusing and ridiculous. It’s like the random crits of Team Fortress 2. It’s unfair.

I’m not sure what my least favourite episode of the season is. Either Celestial Advice, All bottled up, Rock solid friendship or A royal problem. Some days I dislike one episode more than the rest and other days I do the same thing with another episode. But basically these 4 are my least favourite episodes in the whole season.

I think I just finished the season 7 because by the time I went back to the show last year I just didn’t care about the story and the characters. If I liked an episode, I could just say it. If I didn’t like an episode, I could point out its problems, ignore the episode and then move on.

The fact that the show doesn’t have a solid structure in the first place kinda shows that some episodes are completely random and completely baffling, with creative decisions that make no sense whatsoever.

@Latecomer  
I disagree. I agree that most fandoms are dedicated to films and TV shows that are not perfect. But then we have the fandom of absolutely great stuff. Dark Souls has probably my favourite fandom of all, the fanart, the help I got, the feedback, the fanmusic, all the videos dedicated to talk about Dark Souls… It’s great, it was like MLP fandom back in 2012.

And Undertale fandom is also great, with lost of musicians making their own orchestral versions of the soundtrack and some writers and artists making their own parallel versions of the game, like Reapertale.

And Overwatch fandom is great, with artists, musicians, recorded funny moments and it’s overall very pleasant.

I think there are great fandoms. And 3 of them are from 3 of my favourite games of all time.

Oh, and the Ghibli fans. And the Pixar fans. These are fantastic.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@Ring Team

I would agree that season 7 is a lesser season, which is a shame, because I like how it didn’t start with the nigh obligatory two-parter, and really liked A Royal Problem for finally giving us a Celestia episode.

I’d also like to state for the record that I’ve never been a fan of the Daring Do episodes, including Read it and Weep.
Latecomer

@Ring Team  
Yes, I suppose we just have quite different tastes on many things. (For instance, many of my favourite Season 7 eps are Starlight-centric.) Conversely, half of the “great episodes” you list I find kind of mediocre.

Most of the returns of previous characters, such as Iron Will and Daring Do, are pointless.

I’ll give you this one… although at least Iron Will makes the role his own. And for all I dislike Daring Do eps, this one at least had the potential to show a different side of her story (and flubbed it).

-Some episodes are copies of other episodes. Forever Filly is too similar to Sisterhooves Social.

…I really can’t see how anyone who’s watched both can say this.

Some episodes are filler, like Triple Threat, Hard to say anything and Secrets and Pies.

See again my confusion about what you even mean by “filler”. Although for what it’s worth, I liked two out of those three, and the one I hated had most plot relevance.

Pinkie Pie only appears just to be annoying or creepy, like Secrets and Pies.

I don’t think that’s a fair characterisation of her in the yak episode, at least.

-The Starlight episodes are misleading, confusing and ridiculous. It’s like the random crits of Team Fortress 2. It’s unfair.

Or you were just so committed to hating her at that point that the show liking her automatically loses it points with you.

I’m not sure what my least favourite episode of the season is. Either Celestial Advice, All bottled up, Rock solid friendship or A royal problem. Some days I dislike one episode more than the rest and other days I do the same thing with another episode. But basically these 4 are my least favourite episodes in the whole season.

I love 3 of those and like the fourth well enough, so definitely irreconcilable difference of taste. And most likely Starlight-centred.

I think I just finished the season 7 because by the time I went back to the show last year I just didn’t care about the story and the characters. If I liked an episode, I could just say it. If I didn’t like an episode, I could point out its problems, ignore the episode and then move on.

That’s how I managed a few Seasons. 7 was wondrous in that I barely had to.

As for the fandom and flaws thing… well, it’s just something I heard. And it’s true Undertale is pretty prolific, at least… perhaps the key is making people think, one way or another.
Latecomer

@Ring Team  
She has sometimes been some of those things, but almost none of them are applicable to her by Season 7 - if you keep looking at her in that light, well, I can’t think it helps you enjoy the show.
Background Pony #3EDE
@Ring Team  
At the very least, you single-/simple-mindedly enjoy finding fault with her.

@Latecomer  
Finding those traits applicable to her in Season 9 makes it look like there’s dedication to/obsession with looking for reasons to get mad at her.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@Ring Team  
Over half your posts on the forums are repeating the same points against Starlight, over and over again, as if we didn’t get it the first hundred times. Sometimes with ‘gems’ like “ it’s less about people who have shaky moral standards (something I said a couple of months ago) and more about loving a character just because that’s what everyone does “ (translation: “it’s not that the people who like Starlight are corrupt, it’s that they’re sheep”) thrown in.

But no, you “don’t necessarily hate Starlight.” At all. That’s why you keep bringing up what you don’t like about her. Several times a week. Every week. Even when the current topic’s not about her.

It’s spam at this point.
Ring Team
Artist -

@Background Pony #3EDE  
I don’t think it’s simple-minded. If someone loves a character, he’s gonna explain why. If other person finds that same character unlikeable, he’s gonna explain why. It’s been always like this with everything. Movies, TV shows, books, music bands, videogames, etc.

For example, Wolf of Wall Street is a good film, but I don’t find the main character likeable and I don’t understand why people like him. Maybe it’s because he knows how to sell stuff to strangers in an invested way, I don’t know.
Latecomer

@Ring Team  
Yeah. But it is sad for those of us who consider Starlight a highlight of the show, as it means you’re going to be doomed to disappointment by so many eps we consider wonderful.
Ring Team
Artist -

@Latecomer  
Hum… maybe?

I mean, some episodes in seasons 7, 8 and 9 were disappointing, but not to the point where I said “I need to stop watching this”, something I did with season 6. In fact, the last 3 seasons have great episodes. Right now my favourite episode in the season 9 is The Last Laugh, and I haven’t expected a well written Pinkie episode. That’s really cool.

I may sound cynical when I talk about some episodes, but when I like an episode, I really really like an episode.
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@DoctorWTF
Having new writers isn’t a bad thing though, it’s really what the new ones bring forward to the table. A lot of the times, you can’t expect the same writers to stay on board a project for so long, like say have Conan O’Brien stay a writer for The Simpsons for all 30+ of its seasons. If the new writers managed to crank out some fresh good episodes then that’s that and if they submit in crap, then oh well.

True, but too much turnover can make it difficult to keep characters consistent, and there’s been quite a bit of criticism over that issue in later seasons.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide