Unpopular opinion time

Vivace
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Artist -

“ShimSham my GlimGlams”
@Ring Team  
Imagine the mental gymnastics and confirmation bias at play in making the character with difficulty managing their time, who tends to prioritize work over play, to the point that she has to be peer pressured into putting work down, and who doesn’t act malicious toward her peers out to be the definitive bad guy for being in that situation. Fictional media with that kind of message would get excoriated for having such an immature perspective. “Remember, work is the worst fate your parents or friends could suffer, and if they choose to give focus to their work and not to let you monopolize their time, that’s a reason they suck.”
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Also, the designs of Scootaloo’s parents are very generic, which is kinda odd considering how much I love Scootaloo. They look like a ponified fanart of Uncharted or something.
Because they’re supposed be based of Steve Irwin and Jane Goodall.
The Last Crusade was an episode that really soured on me the more I thought about it. Like, her parents are genuinely horrible parents and the fact that the show tries to not only ignore that bur act like they’re the greatest ponies ever(especially after basing them on real life heroes, one of which usually made time to be with his family) is pretty shitty. There’s also the fact that the episode ignores what was previously established in Parental Glidance where Scootaloo outright says that no one has ever been around for her, yet this episode comes in and they’re one big loving family. I was always against the “Scootaloo is an orphan” but this episode somehow made me wish that was canon instead
Also her aunts and her living situation. Like, can we talk how miserable of an experience that must have been? Did they really need to make an explanation for that? They really should have just “Shining Armor’d” them and just have them be taking care of her the whole time

At the end, her parents outright admitted that they valued their careers over their duties as parents. Even if what they do is as important to Equestrian science as they say, there’s no reason they couldn’t have had Scootaloo actually live with her aunts instead of them alternating foal-sitting duties with whatever local adults aren’t busy. As you say, portraying that as a perfectly healthy family is kind of messed up.

@Latecomer  
@Ring Team
It could be presumed she had some kind of family or guardians — the odd part is how little it turned out she has.
One part I don’t like is them making her a hybrid birth - I usually like mixed families (like in Common Ground), but here it feels like a subtle “explanation” for her flight problems, which is not a geat implication.

Pound Cake’s family tree is mostly earth ponies, but he doesn’t have any trouble. Though the way her wing condition was presented implied that she had never seen a doctor about it (at least as of “Flight to the Finish”), which does not reflect well on her biological family.

Plus Scootaloo’s aunts were introduced in the comic years before “The Last Crusade”.
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

To be honest, I’m not sure about Scootaloo’s parents. I have mixed feelings.

On one thing, I admire their honesty. These are parents, but they prefer going on an adventure rather than educating a little pony, leaving that role to Scootaloo’s aunts. If they tried to do both things (explorers and parents), they would fail in both aspects because of stress and too much work, and the relationship between the three characters would have been incredibly worse as a result.

So admiting their limitations and putting their responsibilities on another aspect that’s more easier for them is quite nice. And I don’t think Scootaloo came out with horrible mental issues or something. In fact, she has been pretty much happy in the 9 seasons, being considered as a loyal partner for Rainbow Dash, meeting Dash’s parents, working with the CMC, etc.

However… why would you introduce Scootaloo’s parents and aunts in the last season of the show? Couldn’t you just make some previous episodes where Scootaloo gets some mail from her parents?
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

To be honest, I’m not sure about Scootaloo’s parents. I have mixed feelings.
On one thing, I admire their honesty. These are parents, but they prefer going on an adventure rather than educating a little pony, leaving that role to Scootaloo’s aunts. If they tried to do both things (explorers and parents), they would fail in both aspects because of stress and too much work, and the relationship between the three characters would have been incredibly worse as a result.

Not to mention the scene where they accidentally released a dangerous creature into the schoolhouse. They expressed concern for Scootaloo’s safety to justify separating her from the ponies who had actually served as her family, and immediately showed that she’d be no safer with them than in Ponyville.
Latecomer

@Ring Team  
Becasue if you pin down anything about them earlier, it makes it harder if you have a different idea later. See Shining Armour (and to a lesser extent Maud Pie) - siblings out of nowhere. So the show usually prefers not to establish things like that unless they have an idea to use it with.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
I didn’t mind those two episodes honestly. They could’ve been written better, the latter moreso but they weren’t the worst. My wish was that Student Counsel wouldn’t have been as harsh to Starlight and made Trixie be more understanding to her and not made Silverstream be a nitwit and for The Last Crusade, revise Scoot’s parents and that’s about it.
Ring Team
Artist -

@DoctorWTF  
That crocodrile clip kinda reminded me of the bear scene from Bee Movie, the one where they put a wild bear in a trial. xD

@Latecomer  
Yeah, there’s that. To be honest, I’m fine with characters such as Shining Armor and Maud Pie, especially Shining Armor. And, to be fair, Scootaloo’s parents are decent. They’re very likeable and they have nice and logical lines. They want Scootaloo to go with them, and I think that’s what every parent would say in this situation.

My only real complain is the character design, with a color palette that’s too desaturated to me, even the orange skin from the mother. I’m still cool with the episode. It’s just a bit inconsistent.
Ring Team
Artist -

I just saw Between Dark and Dawn. And it’s a decent episode. At first I was a bit defensive because I didn’t like too much the first 5 minutes, but the rest of the episode is fine. I used to think that Celestia and Luna were very mystical (by the time they were introduced, the alicorns were very rare), so seeing them in a more mundane and even human approach is quite fun. I think they deserved an episode like that. I kinda wish these two got more episodes, but at least we got this one.

The episode reminded me of that IDW comic where Luna wanted to make all Celestia’s work just for her to rest. I’ve read that comic back in 2014, so, to me, that’s a sign where I think the TV episodes should have been more like the IDW comics, or at least as creative as those.

By the way, nice Wicked reference. I love musicals and I love anything related to Idina Menzel, especially Frozen.

The only problems I have with the episode is that the first 5 minutes have too many scenes in a very short time where Celestia and Luna interfere too much in everything. And I couldn’t stand Pinkie Pie here. Too many screams.

And that’s basically my Top favourite episodes in the season:

1. The beginning of the end  
  2. Between Dark and Dawn  
  3. Common Ground  
  4. Sweet and Smoky  
  5. Uprooted  
  6. The Last Crusade

13 more episodes! Here we go!
TheProcrastinationPone

Yes
Same honestly, it’s an okayish episode but personally I don’t really find much too amazing about it, compared to a lot of other Slice Of Life episodes this one was certainly far more mediocre.  
Luna scenes were adorable though
Ring Team
Artist -

I recently watched three more episodes, although I had wifi problems that made the videos pausing every 10 seconds.

2, 4, 6, Greaaat is not very interesting, but it has a nice message. Compared to other episodes where Rainbow Dash was really mean, it could have been a lot worse, so I’m not complaining.

A Trivial Pursuit is another uninteresting episode. There’s not a lot to say about this one.

The Last Laugh might be my favourite episode in season 9 in the moment I write this. Despite being a Pinkie Pie episode, she’s not annoying or noisy. Maybe a little bit in the last 20 seconds of the episode, but that’s nothing. And I really like the art direction in this episode, with some grey tones and desaturated colors in comparison to Pinkie. The characters are likeable and Cheese Sandwich has a very relatable conflict. Some people just lose their will to laugh and their will to smile.

I really like the third act. You don’t need to find funny things to go back to be happy, you need to say funny things. It can be anything. A weird story, a pun, a joke, dark humour, soft humour, some ridiculous news (not the depressing ones, the FUNNY ones, the ones that make you chuckle). Just talk to anybody. Because, even though your voice would sound sad or joyless, the way you’d articulate these funny things would make people chuckle or laugh, even if it’s just a bit. People like funny people, they want to share funny stories. I think it’s a nice message to everybody.

The only thing I didn’t like about the episode is that I wish it could be funnier. There’s a moment where Pinkie Pie reinvents some slapstick jokes just to make Cheese Sandwich laugh. That scene could have been waaaay funnier. Or how about the two serious guards? Another scene that could have been so much funnier.

And, hey, it’s a great Pinkie Pie episode! Never thought I’d watch one of those in the last seasons, let alone the very last season. I think I like it much more than Pinkie Pride because that episode was waaay too indulgent to me.

Ok. 10 episodes.

PD: Is it me or is The Last Laugh visually similar to de Blob, the Wii game?

full
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

2, 4, 6, Greaaat is not very interesting, but it has a nice message. Compared to other episodes where Rainbow Dash was really mean, it could have been a lot worse, so I’m not complaining.

“Could have been a lot worse”? How? She openly disparaged cheerleading to the squad’s faces, being WAY more insensitive than what she had previously been shown to be capable of. Even when Yona and Ocellus ran away crying, she had no idea she was doing anything wrong until Smolder spelled it out for her.
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

World's Okayest User
lol that episode was one last fuck you to Rainbow Dash on the writers behalf by forcing a job on her she never wanted and having her take it out on everyone else only for Twilight to be an asshole and just be all “oh I just wanted to teach you a lesson”

Episode was the last straw for me and that final bit about Twilight perfectly sums up the rest of the season if the finale was anything to go by with Discord and all
Ring Team
Artist -

@DoctorWTF  
@Kiryu-Chan

I know it sounds crazy, but it could have been worse. A lot worse. I think Rainbow Dash got worse episodes. In Secrets and Pies she gives some cake to her turtle without considering that cake is unhealthy for the turtle, which is ironic considering how Tanks for the Memories ended. In Tanks for the memories (my least favourite Rainbow Dash episode), despite having a pet for a couple of years, she didn’t do some research to understand turtles. And, in a desperate way to make the turtle awake, she destroyed Cloudsdale.

Probably my favourite example is Rainbow Dash in Rainbow Rocks. Despite the fact she becomes a friend of the Mane 6 and forgiving every problem that happened in the first EG film, she decides to be a jerk in Rainbow Rocks, deciding that this band is her band. I think she was really despicably unlikeable. The stuff she says to her friends is not only bad, but, God, I think it would scar most kids. It’s not a lack of support, it’s just wanting to be the boss of the band. I know she’s supposed to learn her lesson in the end, but you’re supposed to kind of want this girl to be nice with her friends, and in the end, I really don’t. I thought she was just horrible.

Compared to this cheerleader episode, these approaches were more cruel. This episode is not good, but it’s harmless.

I think most of Rainbow Dash’s mean actions in the later seasons are just there because people loved Rainbow Rocks without questioning the actions of the characters or the film itself. I’m assuming someone in the team thought “ok, everyone loved Rainbow Rocks, so let’s keep making this Rainbow Dash instead of a cocky but loyal friend”.

You could argue that this doesn’t make sense in the episode, but if people accepted all these previous inconsistencies, they would be fine with the rest of inconsistencies. It’s like Up: If you accept a house that flies with colorful balloons, you would accept the talking dogs that can drive a plane.
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

World's Okayest User
to say “oh they like Rainbow Rocks, so they must be okay with this behavior!” Is a dumb argument, they knew full well everyone hated this crap and they didn’t care. Heck, at least 75% of her post-S5 episodes would have been fine if they had just fucking left them alone in production, but oh no people might have actually liked them
Ring Team
Artist -

@Kiryu-Chan  
Really? The reason I said that is because back then I wasn’t too active in Derpibooru, but in another MLP forum with my language, where everyone liked that film. I’m saying this because my opinion about the film was in these especific circumstances.

And, to be honest, I didn’t expect not everyone in Derpibooru did like Rainbow Rocks. I kinda expected a much more positive film in here, especially considering how much fanart the villains get.
Kiryu-Chan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

World's Okayest User
I never said the movie was bad, I’m saying it had nothing to do with how characters were portrayed in later seasons
Ring Team
Artist -

@Kiryu-Chan  
Ok, sorry to misunderstand that.

I don’t know. I don’t necessarily mean it was a huge factor that affected how the characters would be written. I think it’s a mix of different things, and the positive impressions of the film was one of those things. As much as I liked season 5, it has some details that reminded me of Rainbow Rocks that I didn’t find funny or creative, and one of those details was Rainbow Dash overall.

I’m saying that this could have influenced the way the characters would be written, even if it’s just a bit.

But at least we got some good episodes where she’s the main character, like The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone, which is a fun episode. And Parental Glideance. And the MLP film, which was the reason why I went back to loving the show.

EDIT: By the way, I just thought of that: Where are Cozy Glow’s parents?
Spinny
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

Resident Spin Fetishist
@Myoozik

Still the funniest moment from Student Counsel:

@Ring Team

Honestly, Tanks for the Memories was the episode where I started liking Dash less overall. I wasn’t too bothered by her self-absorbed attitude in the previous seasons (apart from Rainbow Falls, where Twilight had to go as far as guilt trip her into making the right decision), but I grew far less tolerant of it afterwards.

Where are Cozy Glow’s parents?

Either dead, trying to appeal their daughter’s conviction to actually get her some proper due process, or haven’t even given her a second thought because they’re neglectful and/or abusive.

Lord knows Cozy’s home life is something that should have been considered before everyone deemed her to be irredeemably evil, including the mane six.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide