Unpopular opinion time

Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

I haven’t finished season 8 yet, but this could be my Top 3 and Bottom 3 episodes.

Top 3:  
-Surf and/or Turf  
-The Washouts  
-Molt Down

Bottom 3:  
-The Mean 6  
-Fake it ‘till you make it  
-Road to friendship

I could put in here Non-Compete Cause, but it wasn’t as shocking as I expected it to be after reading so many negative impressions about it.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
After rewatching the show last year, I’ve realised that season 3 holds up super-well, even MMC. At the time I liked S3 much better than S2, but even during S4 considered it one of the lesser seasons. These days I’d consider it one of my favourite seasons. Yes I still believe that MMC should’ve been a two-parter, but for what it is I really enjoy it.

I know that due to the show ending, gen 4.5, and the pandemic, has ramped up the re-evaluation of the show and especially earlier seasons and controversial episodes, but I do wonder how many of the people who are now celebrating everything up to season 7/8/9 (more or less) have actually gone back and rewatched the earlier seasons. I’m not diminishing their nostalgia for “the good times,” but that it’s one thing to go “Yeah I didn’t particularly care for ‘x’ at the time, but now that I think about it, it’s pretty good” and actually rewatching it to see how you feel about ‘x’ now. I did that, and is why I like MMC and especially MMMystery on the Friendship Express a lot better now than I did at the time.

It’ll be interesting to see how my views on the likes of the rest of season 4 and especially Rainbow Rocks hold up upon rewatching them…
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

World's Okayest User
@Ebalosus  
I think S3 is only one of two seasons where I feel I can rewatch every episode in it(the other being S1). It probably helps that it’s only half of the usual season, but none of the episodes drive me up a wall like all the other seasons do
Spinny
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

Resident Spin Fetishist
@Ebalosus

Yeah, I used to have season 3 pegged as the worst season. And then season 6 came along. I do feel like our expectations may have been a bit high for the earlier seasons, or maybe they just tended to drop after the show kept racking up terrible episodes. Hell, The Mysterious Mare-do-well was always slammed as a horrible episode, but it’s far better than, say, 28 Pranks Later or The Cart Before the Ponies.

@Kiryu-Chan

Eh, season 5 is still entirely watchable for me. The only real exception is Princess Spike, but I just don’t like it in concept more than anything else.
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

World's Okayest User
Hell, The Mysterious Mare-do-well was always slammed as a horrible episode, but it’s far better than, say, 28 Pranks Later or The Cart Before the Ponies.

28 Pranks Later was basically the writers looking at MMDW and going “Hold My Beer”. They basically took all the latters flaws and doubled down on them imo

Eh, season 5 is still entirely watchable for me. The only real exception is Princess Spike, but I just don’t like it in concept more than anything else.

S5 was close but it still has Cutie Remark, which I still hate, so uh, yeah
Ring Team
Artist -

I think Princess Spike would have been fine if the main character was Twilight instead of Spike. Now that Twilight is a princess, I wanted to watch some episodes where she’s a princess.

The season 5, despite its flaws, is one of my favourite seasons. It’s the season that has Crusaders of the Lost Mark. If people ask me why I like season 5 more than 4 or 6, I’ll always say “Crusaders of the Lost Mark”. It’s THE episode of the Cutie Mark Crusaders.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
@Ebalosus  
What was wrong with MMMystery On The Friendship Express? I always liked it and it was a great homage to the original source material. Though I wish that they incorporated the original idea of having Applejack be one of the guilty ones who also ate part of the cake.

@Spinny  
Man, The Mysterious Mare Do Well is still one of the worst episodes ever even with the competition that came up ahead.
GenericArchangel
Alicorn Squadron - For supporting the site
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter

Free the Tantabus
I think a lot of people have their favorite episode in S5. Like me: “Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep” hit me hard when I watched it.

That said, S5’s ending remains one of the biggest disappointments of FiM. It’s such a great idea with the time travel plot, but it’s brought down by compromising Starlight’s characterization as an egoistic ideologue via the rushed, half-assed redemption at the end.
Ring Team
Artist -

I recently watched 3 more episodes of season 8.

-Rockhoof and a hard place was a funny episode, although some parts of the first half were a bit boring. Some people would find it unnecessary, and it kinda is. But if you’re going to write an unnecessary story, at least make it funny. Kinda like the Flim Flam Brothers episode from season 2. Unnecessary, but funny.

-What lies beneath was… meh? I like the idea behind the episode, but I don’t know. It looks like an ancient simulator instead of a challenge of the six students. It’s not very funny, sometimes it’s creative, and nothing more. And that ending would have been intriguing if it wasn’t for some spoilers I’ve read.

-Sounds of silence was a good episode. I love the concept, the character design is kinda cool and the story is interesting. Some parts were a bit boring like the song, but it’s cool. It might be my 4th favourite episode in season 8.

So, 3 episodes left.

Actually, two. Father knows beast and School raze.
Latecomer

Interesting that we all have such diverse tastes. For instance, I recall thinking of 28 Pranks Later as a too-late improved version of Mare-Do-Well, though I have to admit I can’t quite recall why at this point. I’m still pretty turned off by Crusaders of the Lost Mark, especially given it’s lack of decent follow-up. But my strong distaste for the Season 5 finale at least seems to be popular…
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide