Unpopular opinion time

LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
And she barely even has a fandom personality beyond being ‘sick of lyra’s shit’ and ‘lyra’s partner’. She is nothing without Lyra, and that’s why I don’t care about Lyrabon, it’s so samey, one-note, and smothering. The two ponies can’t be anything without the other in fanon.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. The ship has taken over these characters to the point where it’s preventing them from growing or changing. What hobbies and interests do they have (aside from Lyra’s human obsession)? Who else are they friends with? No one cares, because the ship is all that most people seem to care about. Despite having only one notable character trait, I still find the G1 Bon Bon more interesting than the G4 Bon Bon simply because she has seven friends she hangs out with instead of one.
I’ve grown to strongly dislike Lyrabon simply because the fandom insists on constantly shipping them to the point that no other ships are even considered. If two characters sitting or standing next to each other is a sufficient enough basis to ship them, then Lyraworthy deserves to be a thing, too. The only other Lyra ship that people will accept is with Anon, the pervert who will sleep with any mare who gives him the time of day. And if you point this out, then people will insist, “But it’s canon!” First, it’s only “canon” because the writers included it to pander to the militant shippers, and second, since when does this fandom care about canonicity when it comes to shipping? The canonically happily married Cadance and Shining are depicted cheating as often as they’re depicted together, every sibling-sibling or parent-child relationship is sexualized, and people still ship Big Mac with Fluttershy, Cheerilee, and Marble Pie even though all those ships were sunk years ago. But with Lyra & Bon Bon, you can’t even have a picture of Bon Bon playing with a seal without a bunch of people in the comments asking why she isn’t hanging out with Lyra or trying to frame the scene in the context of their ‘relationship.’

Wow that’s like 100% how I feel too, I’m shocked. (no sarcasm)

But yeah the fact that canon has never mattered to this fandom with shipping (bloody shining chrysalis) and how much they (lyra and bonbon) are just not allowed to exist separately without people commenting on that is just exhausting. A healthy relationship* needs some off time from the other one, and they’d both be more interesting together if they have lives outside of the other one all the time.

**I know shipping has no basis on reality or real life at all and what can be compelling in a fictional ship may be troubling IRL but my point is that a ship is dull (to me) if there is no stakes or story beyond “we in love”.

@Brass Beau  
@Algebroot Neogears
I think most of their songs are meant to be non-diegetic. If the were Scootaloo was singing backup vocals. Some people harmonize better than they lead.
@Dex Stewart
It’s been a while since I’ve read the comics but I don’t recall any major plot points with Lyra and Bon Bon.
@Sadrai
Oh boy. Sounds like you ran into one of those fans.
@LightningBolt
I remember Sugar Belle having plenty of personality (for a bit character) when she was introduced. I hope I’m not remembering the episode wrong.
[==Quick question: did the “Octavia and Vynal are some type of siblings” theory ever gain any traction?

Vinyl**

Anyway, idk, I didn’t like the idea of them as siblings and I dislike the idea of them as a ship even more as it is 100% forced just because ‘music horses + lesbian’ whom didn’t even appear in the same episode at all until slice of life, but fans insisted on shipping them in some way because logic be damned, and then use slice of life to justify it as canon, when that was only added because fans pushed it for so long. Octavia has interacted with a wholeass band, but everyone ignored that to ship her with a 100% unrelated other pony known for music, 100% only because they both were popular BG ponies and were both female, there’s no other reason they were forced together other than ‘because waifus’ and anything after that doesn’t matter as it wouldn’t exist if not for it.

Luckily they’re not as intrinsically tied to each other as lyrabon is, but lyrabon even has some canon interaction before SOL, which is more than I can say for those two.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@Don’t

I believe that nowadays almost everything that calls itself “culture” is toxic. If anyone ever talks about a Brony culture, I’ll find another fandom. Jk. ;-)
Twiface
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Princess of Shitposting
they’d both be more interesting together if they have lives outside of the other one all the time.

That’s why I like pictures showing Lyra playing her lyre or Bon Bon baking; these are activities that the other has little interest in and could lead to friendships with other ponies.

there’s no other reason they were forced together other than ‘because waifus’

I’m not fond of this ship either, but I think the appeal of Scratchtavia is the whole “opposites attract” thing, and that having these two characters who annoy each other be in a relationship would be “ironic.” Lyrabon is kind of based on the same principle, portraying a relatively normal and somewhat cynical Bon Bon putting up with Lyra’s eccentric antics.

I’ve always seen Lyra + Octavia as a more natural pairing because they both have a common interest in classical music. But there is little art and virtually no fanfics for it.
Jaredking779
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

The MLP Lover-Fan
Does anyone else believe that Countess Coloratura is the biggest pop star in Equestria? Sapphire Shores is the second biggest pop star, so Pinkie Pie is correct.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@Jaredking203

Are Lady Gaga and Beyoncé the biggest pop stars in our world? I think each of them finds their niche and fans, just like Octavia and Vinyl Scrath. And that in a world where apparently every second pony is capable of singing and dancing or is otherwise musically qualified. ;-)
Twiface
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Princess of Shitposting
@Jaredking203  
@DarkObsidian  
Pop stars come and go. Maybe Sapphire Shores was the biggest in the earlier seasons but was displaced by Coloratura by Season 5, who in turn might have been displaced by somepony else by Season 9.

in a world where apparently every second pony is capable of singing and dancing or is otherwise musically qualified.

Maybe the record labels are nepotistic.
Jaredking779
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

The MLP Lover-Fan
Pop stars come and go. Maybe Sapphire Shores was the biggest in the earlier seasons but was displaced by Coloratura by Season 5, who in turn was displaced by somepony else by Season 9.

I don’t remember any ponies replacing Coloratura as the biggest pop star when Season 9 was around.

@Brass Beau  
Wait, I did not mention the Sia pony. The Sia pony refers to someone else.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
So, the pony at the top of the Billboard Hot 100 was Sapphire Shores, Countess Coloratura and then Songbird Serenade. What if Svengallop managed them all in turn? Sure, he’s an asshole, but he knows how to make a singer #1.
Background Pony #6071
I hate cozy glow and dislike the cozy defense squadron people on this site only moderately less. Yeah she’s a kid but she’s also a psycho. She got what she deserved. Her age shouldn’t matter if her crimes were grave enough and the intent to commit them was there.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Dex Stewart  
I never cared for her but my one regret as part of her stoning is we didn’t get Flurry and Cozy being friends. The fan art has convinced me it should be it’s own comic series.
Background Pony #6071
@Brass Beau  
I don’t think cozy’s capable of friendship. She’d just use flurry to get close to the crystal heart or something. Plus, flurry’s a baby. Friendship’s a few years off for her.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide