Unpopular opinion time

Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
Speaking of fusion, I’ve seen some forced fusion art and I don’t know why but it sat with me about as well as late night Taco Bell.
Latecomer

@Hali the Emoji girl  
Her cutie mark has to mean something, although I suppose it could be metaphorical like Cherilee’s. And I’m pretty sure Sweetie can do that already.

@Beau Skunky  
The problem with Discord is he has to walk a careful line between “tame” and “why haven’t we stoned this guy again?”, For many people, the Grogar ploy crossed that line hard.
Latecomer

@Brass Beau  
Looking at that chart, reformation only seems to dominate due to later EQG weighting things. FIM was always all over the place.

@Kiryu-Chan  
The Washouts was in late Season 8. Her prior appearance was in mid Season 3. Why expect another showing in the just over a season left?

@Beau Skunky

Doesn’t the fact that he needed to be depowered (or just ignored) that often to facilitate the plot kind of prove he was overpowered?
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@AC97  
Him, Lightning Dust and Iron Will were all ones that I missed. I’m sure there’s more. Those were just the first to come to mind.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Latecomer  
I honestly wasn’t bothered by that, as that kinda gives Discord’s character closure for the finale, as that incident bit him back hard, (so I kinda tire of people acting like he had no comeuppance for it, heck walking such a long distance for a being used to teleporting/floating everywhere alone, must’ve been torture, and he risked his life for Twilight and company, as well afterwards) and I believe it was done to ensure he learns a hard lesson, and doesn’t try to manipulate events, and such anymore, and realize he can’t always control everything, or act as a safety net for the heroes.

@Latecomer  
If he was that OP, (honestly, people say the same about Celestia, Luna, Twilight, and Starlight, or really any character they dislike) then he wouldn’t have any of the weaknesses I mentioned like getting genuinely sick, and such.
Latecomer

@Beau Skunky  
Any comeuppance he suffered is rendered trivial by how he not only gets all his powers back, but gets to avenge himself on the villains (doing the one thing he basically swore he never did in the very beginning to boot!) and also hooks up with Fluttershy in the epilogue!

And the Royal Sisters are more or less the same - always getting disabled in some way to keep them out of the plot.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Latecomer  
So what do you guys want then? Him to never get his powers back, and/or die, or something?

Also, the show runners said the ‘ship teases aren’t necessarily canon, so if you don’t like them, you’re free to interpret them differently. (Frankly, I don’t care for FlutterCord either.)  
And if Discord just handing Fluttershy something is some “huge romantic gesture,” then frankly any character interaction could be interpreted that way.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

S9 kinda justified Discord generally not helping in previous seasons. He, in a similar vein to Q, would rather not coddle the ponies, and/or he tests them (so at least it makes sense as to why he didn’t do anything in the Movie, if he even knew about the events until after the fact), and when he does feel the need to act, his arrogance has been his downfall on multiple occasions.

It was consistent for his character, for better and/or worse.

Twilight Sparkle: You realize this is information we could have used hours ago?!
Discord: And rob you of a valuable lesson about being princess? What kind of friend do you think I am?

…since like, S4’s premiere, that he fancied himself a Trickster Mentor.

I don’t think he ever learned a lesson of “hey, please don’t manipulate your friends into learning this lesson/don’t engineer these events.”

He kinda did it in S7’s premiere, and it was a thing in Best Gift Ever too. I don’t think any takeaway he had from Three’s a Crowd would’ve been anything more than halfhearted, back in S4, regarding when he faked being sick.

Applejack: For all the time you’ve spent with us, you really haven’t picked up too much in the way of friendship lessons, huh?

It’s kind of like this: Discord is to heroism what Chrysalis is to villainy, in that his ego can and did cause massive problems for him, and others around him, except he can change more, ultimately, and his failures end in good outcomes for his team, one way or the other.

It says something when Starlight is probably less self-destructive than he is post-reformation.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Latecomer  
To quote myself  
It’s a common writing problem. Once you introduce something that can resolve any situation, why wouldn’t you use it all of the time?

And the Discord reveal didn’t ruin his character for me but was an unnecessary twist and a waste of a character (Grogar). Him being depowered was fine. Most of the ponies were by Tirek or the bell. It’s believable since this was a coordinated sneak attack.  
My main problem with Discord is his lack of growth as a character.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Brass Beau  
I’d say he’s grown as he’s gotten closer to the heroes, and went from being their enemy, or annoyance, to a friend, despite his issues.

Groger wasn’t that much of a waste, as I said, even if he was real he’d just be a random doomsday series finale villain coming out of nowhere, whom wouldn’t of done anything differently then the trio did. (Frankly, they’re more interesting villains, and it’s kinda nice they didn’t go the, “They’re Groger’s loyal stooges who fear him” path.)  
His only appealing factor is being a mere G1 shout-out.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Beau Skunky  
But the season could have gotten rolling but just having Chrysalis break Tirek and Cozy out since she “needs allies”

No need for Grogar or Discord to be involved. No unnecessary twist and even better, you get the suspense of whether the villains will work together.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

@Brass Beau

Or perhaps Sombra could’ve done it, alternatively, have it branch off from the comics where he came back from his horn.

Issue would be if it would make sense for him to know where to look for possible allies, and you’d wonder how it might go, him possibly being betrayed.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide