Unpopular opinion time

Background Pony #89DC
I don’t get why people think the Villain Trio learning about friendship through each other would lead to them being reformed. The reason why they’d be friends would be because they realize that they have a better shot at killing the Mane Six and subjugating Equestria together. It’d basically be they’re friends now, but they’re still evil.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Really, despite whatever you could say, I can’t help but not be able to bring myself to feel much, if any sympathy to any of those three regarding “they were threatened,” considering that they’ve kinda done those exact things themselves, and it’s not like they’ve ever shown regrets in doing so. (kinda sad that it isn’t a gif as far as I can tell, Chrysalis throwing three of her creations against the ground)

(And yes, Tirek behaving that way towards his brother is very likely canon, since “King Vorak” got name-dropped)

Cozy Glow isn’t much, if any better, at all, overall, either, while I’m at it. If anything, I’d argue that Tirek ended up being the one to be the best team member at multiple points, not being egregiously selfish in the alliance, considering:

Lord Tirek: Take my hands.
[beat]
Lord Tirek: So we can all be part of the spell. Unless you’d prefer I take all the magic myself?

Lord Tirek: But taking it all would be madness! It’s impossible for any other creature to control!

Lord Tirek: Stay away from the Bell, you pest!
[zap!]
Lord Tirek: None of us can use the Alicorns’ magic until we figure out how to handle that fool’s ridiculous chaos magic!

Lord Tirek: He’s lying. He won’t tell us.

Queen Chrysalis: I don’t think we should. This could work out quite well for me.
Lord Tirek: You mean us.
Queen Chrysalis: The harsh weather is the final blow to break the ponies’ spirits. Once Equestria is a frozen wasteland, we’ll use our magic to destroy those windy beasts. Ponies will be so grateful, they’ll do whatever I want!
Lord Tirek: The windigos are ancient magic. It would be unwise to leave them unchecked. Best we deal with them now.

I’d be willing to argue that Tirek, by not taking anyone’s magic after the Pillars’, was being a bit magnanimous overall with the other two, since there wouldn’t have been too much they could do to stop him from doing so.

In contrast, you have Cozy Glow, who went…

“Fools! Now I have more power than all of you! Kneel before my might!”

…at the first opportunity. And even she was quite possibly better overall at not being liable to screw the other two over than Chrysalis was, by virtue of being more pragmatic.

It’s also possibly worth noting that even if reforming him would quite probably be a lost cause, Tirek was the only one of those three who seemingly ever cared about anyone, with his grandmother and in any case, he seems to have the most honor, between keeping his word at multiple points and such. …he’s still a big piece of shit though. I’m not sure any of the heroes would have too much hope of reaching him at all, considering his brother didn’t sway him, and how he enabled Cozy Glow’s S8 scheme just to spite them and the world at large, for very little personal gain.
DanielTepesKraus
Greatest Poster in the Board -
GREEN - TALK TO ME
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Equality - Was more equal than the rest of the people during the event and did the only smart thing: wasn't there :^)

will return
@Background Pony #89DC  
because in the show, whether you believe in friendship or not is what determines whether or not you’re a bad guy. you could be a manipulative sadistic self-serving violent cruel maniac who can deliberately make people suffer without feeling a shred of guilt or pity or a backstabbing treacherous manipulative bastard who has never once made a good moral choice in his life, but if you have genuine friends and/or are buddies with the mane six and/or celestia you are a good guy. period. if the bad guys gave in to friendship, they’d be good guys and that’d be the end of it.

why do you think frenemies had them make such a point of stating “oh we’re still not friends” at the end? they might as well have looked at the camera, winked, and said “don’t worry, we’re not reformed”.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

they took on equestria, just like he wanted. only difference was they decided they didn’t want the asshole who was using them as servants under threats of death to be in charge of them. besides, are we really blaming them for turning on him? if some asshole effectively enslaved you, used threats of death and violence to make you do what he wanted, but then handed you a gun and turned his back, wouldn’t you shoot him?

Are you saying Discord intended for everything to happen, “just like he wanted”?

Cozy Glow: You know, it really was super easy to get all those Earth ponies and Pegasi and unicorns to turn on each other.
Queen Chrysalis: It was, wasn’t it? Now that is something to think about…

Because they came up with that idea, and implemented it, independently, without any of his input whatsoever. That, in and of itself, is more of a “difference” than “he’s not in charge.”

Lord Tirek: Ah, Chrysalis. Another successful field trip, I presume?
Queen Chrysalis: Spreading distrust among the unicorns and Earth ponies is almost too easy. We could take down Twilight and her friends a hundred times, but as long as they have the “love” of Equestria behind them, they’d crawl back to defeat us. Not anymore.
Cozy Glow: No friendship, no magic! It’s so obvious when you think about it. I did my part freaking out the Pegasi.
Lord Tirek: And Grogar’s long absence has given me time to prepare the next part of our plan. [blows]

That’s basically outright stating “Grogar” effectively had no control over them at all, and they’re not using his plans.

Lord Tirek: Didn’t you all notice something was wrong in Equestria? We’ve been busy.
Queen Chrysalis: A whisper here, a rumor there…
Lord Tirek: Destroy some crops, cause some damage…
Cozy Glow: Turn pony against pony…
Queen Chrysalis: Until your whole kingdom is on edge, waiting for just one tiny thing to push them over the brink!

You said, verbatim, in the comment I was replying to originally:

everything the legion of doom did, they did on his orders

…when that isn’t what happened. Sombra disobeyed him by not stopping after he lost during his “retake the Crystal Empire” bid, and the rest went rogue literally one focus episode in by lying to him, and plotting against him and Equestria on their terms, and they didn’t exactly seem mostly motivated by fear in backstabbing him, that is, Cozy being like ‘ooooh, this will be just as much fun as backstabbing Twilight and her friends.’

They collapsed snow on Rusty Bucket and his house of their own volition, they took glee in sabotaging the Summer Sun Celebration of their own volition, they destabilized Equestria by spreading disharmony of their own volition (to the point of Windigos showing up), they callously blew up a good chunk of the Canterlot Castle for the thrill of it of their own volition, they threatened prisoners (including a child) with both torture and inevitable murder of their own volition, and they threatened to rip a child’s wings off in front of his loved ones and then went on to attempt murdering them in cold blood (I really like this shot, by the by), of their own volition.

Cozy Glow: And now for your complete destruction! Won’t that be fun?
Queen Chrysalis: Patience, Cozy. Destruction is so… permanent. We need to show the rest of Equestria that we’ve broken their heroes first. Besides, we should have fun with our guests.

There’s nothing about the things they did that remotely inspired sympathy to me just because Discord got them together in the first place and threatened them.

They can’t be realistically be claimed to have been forced (ordered) into doing over three fourths of their actions, when every scheme they actually did, they did without his knowledge (including leaving “his” unsupervised lair on many occasions, both implied and shown, without authorization, without his direction), and without any of his input, including the one thing they actually did do on his orders, by lying about its outcome.

It’s not the fact they betrayed “Grogar” (I’m not all that sure that “Grogar” was giving any big red flags of “he’s certainly gonna betray us even if we do comply”; looking through the transcripts, it’s not like he pulled a Chrysalis and went “me” instead of “our” or “us,” and in any case, he didn’t pointlessly punish them for “failing”) that makes them bad, so much as what they did independently, that makes them worse than Discord, especially when the latter actually did show remorse for his actions, and risked his life to make amends for his failure.

Either Discord’s plan went horribly wrong because they were allowed to come up with their own plans independently and he lost all control of the situation before they could attack anyone under his supervision, or they did “everything they did on his orders.” It’s kind of two entirely mutually exclusive things, those statements, no?

TL;DR: The main point of contention here isn’t that Discord threatened them as “Grogar,” it’s that what they did seems to be classified by you as “following his orders,” because it can’t be that.

It just feels like your bias is showing when you’re saying things like “discord was guilty of more evil and wrongdoing than all of the members of the legion of doom combined,” and claiming that “it’s all on his orders.”

@Egil

Chrysalis probably should’ve kept her mouth shut, when it was obvious that they’d just lost. They’d had enough of her bloviating revenge promises to last a lifetime after S6 happened.

Cozy Glow literally couldn’t care less about throwing everything away (top student, assistant, many friends), and she didn’t even seem to care much at all about being defeated the first time, and being thrown in Tartarus. I think it’s kinda telling that she showed signs of being a pathological liar at multiple points.

Tirek, going by the comics, seemed like he had a loving family… and he didn’t let any of that sway him from being a power-hungry monster; when his brother pleads with him to stop, it’s a “betrayal” because he wouldn’t let him continue unimpeded, even if it was really him being offered a way out.

The prospects of talking any of them down, especially Chrysalis, are kinda laughable. Maybe one or two of them could submit to being “reformed” in the sense of being sick of failing, but it wouldn’t work in the sense of “I can trust them to not backstab me for personal gain.”
Background Pony #7CFD
I believe that Cozy Glow was not given any chances or proper opportunities to reform like other villains got and that she was treated unfairly in comparison.
Background Pony #7CFD
@Dustcan  
Twilight was never giving her a second chance. All she did was scold her, apologize for not being able to teach her properly before being comforted by her students. In no way did she say or imply anything about a second chance. Not when the guards cought her and not when she was being sent to Tartarus.

By that logic Starlight did the same thing when she cut off Twilight’s friendship speech after her defeat.
Background Pony #7CFD
@Latecomer  
I dunno, I think that it could although it wouldn’t be easy and would take a long time. She hasn’t been shown to by any more evil then pre-reformation Discord who went so far as literally brainwash the Main Six. It would certainly be a safer process with her as long as whoever is reforming her is careful.

She would definately need plenty of preplanning to find the right kind of help though. Maybe Sunset.
Background Pony #7CFD
@Latecomer  
Definately. But with so many powerfull and experienced creatures around her knowing exactly what she’s like it could work. Especially if you use Sunset and her mind-reading powers and somewhat similar villain carrear.

I don’t know, it just feels like so many people like to paint her as an irredeemable monster who got all the chances and deserved what she got when really she never got chances and no one ever tried redeeming her. If anything Frenemies could prove that there may be a tiny bit of exploitable good in her.

Or if nothing else seeing her throw a tantrum when she realizes her old tricks won’t work anymore could be a nice source of humor if done correctly.
Background Pony #7CFD
@Latecomer  
Same. Maybe they can give Sunset and her friends some occasional vacation times if they agree to help out a bit. I’m sure she wouldn’t mind spending some time with Celestia now that she’s no longer busy ruling.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide