Unpopular opinion time

Latecomer

@Meanlucario  
She was in a lov of solo eps, too - more than the previous season, where her appearances were kind of sparse for the arc she had.

@Meanlucario  
She did reject it at the same point of parallellisn that Starlight did, though - equivalent to the Season 5 premire, not finale.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

@Myoozik

The word “retcon” would be better applied to Maud Pie’s existence, or how Sombra’s comic arc got nuked from Show Canon with the advent of Season 9, as opposed to “villain backstory revealed, they get reformed after.” (the comics as a general rule, are probably better thought of as “parallel universe,” aren’t they? [yes, I know King Vorak got namedropped, before you mention that, so he is Show Canon])
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Myoozik

She didn’t appear in Pinkie’s flashback way back in Cutie Mark Chronicles. The first hint of her existence was a photo some few seasons later (well, actually she was first mentioned in a book) before she actually debuted.
Background Pony #4530
@AC97  
I simply meant they added in a backstory to justify Starlight being good in the last 10 minutes, when they could literally do the same with Chrysalis, now drop the OCD shall we?
Vivace
Artist -

“ShimSham my GlimGlams”
This day is going to be perfect,/The kind of day of which I dreamed since I was small,

—Chrysalis
Latecomer

@WyrmSpawN  
Well in a wau - but that means you have to, well, make it up, and then sell it to the audience. Also think about what changelings were even like before she was evil. Whereas Starlight’s life and issues were based in the existing Equestrian context.
RogueBadnik
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

⌜Ω⌟
@[Ω]
Like Friendship Is Magic?

Like early Friendship Is Magic, when Whooves was a meme and was being paired with Derpy. No castle, no school, no Starlight, the wings are more like accessories and we never see Twilight use them, same with Spike.

Not like I am complaining. Well, I am indifferent with the crossover. Not a fan of Dr. Who.  
Is Dr. Who still relevant?
Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
Even Chrysalis is not irredeemable, she’s not 100% cartoon villain “Mhaha, I’m evil because… EVIL!”.

…80% maybe.

Chrysalis is simply too PRIDEFUL to redeem herself. She would view it as defeat, and in a way it is. I admire her spirit. Being redeemed might be better for her in the long run, but it would lessen her. I loved the fact that even at the very end, she was declaring vengeance and leaping forward.

Starlight on the other hand is the opposite, for better or for worse her sense of self and ego are wildly unstable and prone to sudden collapse. This was evident pretty much halfway through “Our Town”.
Latecomer

@Philweasel  
Interesting that both flaws led them to similar behaviours.

Also says some things about what qualities we look up too - being committed wrong is bad, but we seem to consider the commitment to outweigh the wrongness.
DanielTepesKraus
Greatest Poster in the Board -
GREEN - TALK TO ME
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Equality - Was more equal than the rest of the people during the event and did the only smart thing: wasn't there :^)

will return
what a lot of people overlook about the redemptions in the show is the main characters don’t seem to care about things like “does this person ‘deserve’ forgiveness” or “is this person redeemable” or “is it right to treat this person as irredeemable?”

they seem to care about “how can we use this person for our own devices?” there’s not been a single redemption of a genuine villain in the entire series that didn’t hinge on that. if the villain in question doesn’t have anything to offer them, they have no qualms about dumping them in hell to rot and forgetting about them, or outright killing them and not so much as thinking twice about it. they’ll might tentatively let it slide if the person wasn’t a villain to begin with (thorax, ahuizotl, neighsay, trixie), but they have no interest in trying to change a genuinely bad person to good if that person can’t be put to work for equestria.

you can actually see, in the series, that suelight adopted this mentality from them. she changed from someone who would actually try to offer a genuine villain a chance at redemption for the sake of it to someone who watched her mentor tell a kid “you’re beyond redemption, sorry” and thought nothing of it.

what i’m getting at, is if you treat their motivation for redeeming people as actually believing that people can change or doing it for the sake of good and friendship, it is a massive double-standard on their part as they seem to pick and choose who they’ll give that privilege to on a whim. when you consider their motivation for redeeming people is entirely self-serving, it’s been a wholly in-character and on-standard affair from day one.

and yeah, it sounds like i’m saying twilight is a massive hypocrite for not practicing what she preaches. yep that’s twilight’s character, 100%. she preaches that it’s wrong to be too competitive on two separate occasions but has no problem acting like that herself, she takes extreme offense to someone fucking with her to teach her a lesson on two separate occasions but has no problem doing it to someone else, she expects others to forgive someone who wrong them on her behalf but sees nothing wrong with refusing to forgive someone who wronged her on someone else’s behalf.

as for celestia, her character has always been “nice but can be cruel”, “does what she thinks is right but is far from perfect”, and “does whatever she wants to further her agenda, justice, right, wrong, and the well-being of others be damned”. with that in mind i don’t think she’s ever acted out of character.

as for why the writers do this on a meta-level? i dunno. maybe they think giving a more substantial motivation beyond “friendship saves” to forgive horrible people makes it more believable and acceptable, maybe they think the power of friendship is stupid and are subtly making fun of it, maybe it’s just one gigantic coincidence and they never intended it to come off this way. really, my only criticism with any of it is it’s a very cynical take on the power of friendship, as if to say it’s not worth it unless you can get something out of it.

all of that said i actually kind of dig how it makes the main characters seem like not that good of people at heart. i’ve always been fond of morally ambiguous characters as protagonists, who seem to walk the line between good and evil all the time and struggle with the idea that they’re not good people. it’s actually one of my biggest criticisms about suelight is she would have been an infinitely better character if they had rolled with the fact that she’s an awful person at heart and actually had characters react to it accordingly.

if you don’t feel like reading any of that, here’s a gif of a rooster chasing a karate kid  
full
Jarkes
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Thread Starter - Transformers Thread

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@DanielTepesKraus

To be fair, with Twilight you could probably argue that that’s sort of the point. Particularly in No Second Prances, where they outright acknowledged that she was acting very hypocritical. I actually kind of liked that about that episode; none of them were 100% in the wrong or 100% in the right.
DanielTepesKraus
GREEN - TALK TO ME
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Equality - Was more equal than the rest of the people during the event and did the only smart thing: wasn't there :^)

will return
@Jarkes  
that may be, but what makes it reflect so poorly on twilight is she has a great power great responsibility thing going on. she literally holds people’s futures and destinies in her hooves, she makes decisions that shape the face of the entire world, and she has zero limits to what she can do and no liabilities if she fucks up.

she gets to decide whether a person gets rewarded or punished for the exact same kind of heinous crime, and nobody else can stop her. she gets to look someone in the eye and say “i don’t care if it’s wrong or endangering all of equestria i’m doing it because i personally believe it’s right”, and everyone has to sit back and accept that. she gets to literally decide these ponies don’t count as ponies and therefore killing them is okay, and then do exactly that, without having to stop and consider if maybe, just maybe, she was wrong about them.

in other words it’s a gigantic deal when she fucks up or does bad things. she owes it to all of equestria to be better than that or suffer genuine reprisal if she doesn’t. if she sees it as okay to wield her power and authority like a club, and to hell with the consequences or who it hurts, she’s no better than the villains.

@Penguin Dragneel  
to be fair, that’s always been an issue in the show. to make one character look better or be in the right, or when they need a character to learn a lesson, they’ll exaggerate their flaws and/or make them be much worse than normal. it’s just that they really got carried away with it with starlight, to the point i feel the quality of the show suffered as a result because it felt like favoritism on the part of the writers. people accused the show of shilling starlight back then, and it’s pretty easy to understand why.
DanielTepesKraus
GREEN - TALK TO ME

will return
anypoo, catch you fuckers later. gonna make a point of having watched the series finale before the next time i log on.

btw, thanks for not spoiling the finale for me. i doubt any of you were even aware that was a thing, but hey, you guys didn’t spoil it and i appreciate that.
Latecomer

A lot of us do recognise the pattern mentioned above - we just abhor it and find it contradiction to both the show’s professed values and good morals in general. So we reject it.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide