Unpopular opinion time

Latecomer

@Anonycat  
I kind of get what you’re saying - I had to ignore the Season 5 finale, at least, and that brainwashing episode. But what one gets in return is well worth it IMO.
Meanlucario
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Time to get spooky
@Latecomer  
I think you’ll only need to ignore part of the final, since it is the thing that opened Starlight’s eyes to how far she has gone in a path she doesn’t want to be in, and at least in Every Little thing, she’s treated as being in the wrong and scolded for worring about why the spell went wrong rather than how she treated the Remane Five, which is more than any Fluttershy ep did with Shy. Also, you can’t deny that AJ’s out-of-context stories aren’t funny.
Vivace
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Artist -

“ShimSham my GlimGlams”
Anything can look good if you purposely cherrypick and ignore its bad parts. Anything can look bad if you purposely cherrypick and ignore its good parts.
Meanlucario
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
@Anonycat  
Like you have been to go against Starlight? And I didn’t say that Every Little Thing was good, just that it puts Star in a bad light when she deserved it, which is sadly more than some other episodes focused on the Mane Six. Also, did you find evidence to support your claim that the leaks saying that Star was meant to be the lead in season 7 onward is true?
Anonycat
Duck - "her mere existence is enough to put me in a quack mood, I might as well return the favor by quacking it around"
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Artist -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Okay, I guess.
@Vivace  
You can’t ignore good parts when there are none to ignore in the first place, though.  
Also, I see we already reached that special part of all attempts to have some Starlight criticism.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Vivace

(also, y’know, it’s also possible [and perfectly okay, mind you] to enjoy something in spite of the flaws, as hard as it may be to wrap one’s head around that.)
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
You can’t ignore good parts when there are none to ignore in the first place, though.

That’s complete bullshit. And you reached that part hours ago when you made claims you refused to back up.
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
@AC97  
He’s quoting Anonycat, who’s acting like we’re cherrypicking examples of Starlight being good and he isn’t. It’s not that he isn’t allowed to not like Starlight, but he’s going to inaccurate extremes to justify his hatred.
Summersong
Duck - Hates bronies, but is one. Go figure.
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

aka Summersong
@Anonycat

Antagonist Starlight is horse shit, but Protagonist Starlight is absolutely amazing (especially with The Great and Bimboish Trixie) and one of the best characters in the heavily-Flanderized later seasons.

While the basic idea of Starlight is “Twilight again because Twilight is not Twilight anymore”, she is not identical to early Twilight. Twilight was never a dark mage and didn’t rely on invasive necromancy to solve problems; she used perfectly normal and sane magic that she often lost control of. In addition, Twilight was extremely self-conscious and felt horrible the instant she messed anything up.

Starlight, on the other hand, is a complete nutcase who blasts unprecedented mind-control magic down people’s throats. There’s no malice behind doing it and she isn’t a sadist, she’s just completely off her rocker and legitimately does not understand why this is not OK. The primary frame of reference for “too far” for Starlight is Trixie of all ponies, and usually because Trixie risks getting Starlight in trouble, not because she’s actually concerned about the consequences of things like losing the Cutie Map.

All of this is hilarious.

Starlight is the embodiment of “you were so concerned about whether you could you did not stop to think about whether you should”.

Also, Starlight gets thrown a bone in that she is the first person to consider (correctly) that Star Swirl might be an utter piece of shit and everybody else ignores her.
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Meanlucario

What I’m trying to convey (poorly, unless I’m missing something else) is that I’m acutely aware of Vivace’s thoughts on the matter (not being one to dislike Starlight), and that they were indeed, doing a “FTFY” kind of thing with that, as in “here’s what you really mean by that,” and Anonycat is being themself, with the assertiveness, projection of their thoughts onto others, like “you have to try to not hate it.”
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I do think it’s an underrated idea, having Sunset (or at least, villainous her, as… uncommon as such a portrayal probably is, nowadays, between how prevalent having her be good is, and how she wasn’t… the most popular villain) have a disdain for Cadance for getting to be an alicorn, when she didn’t, especially considering that that’s what she wanted to be, if you’re going off of the comics.

It practically writes itself, having her be angry that some nobody pegasus orphan got to be one.
Spinny
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

Resident Spin Fetishist
One of the million problems with Starlight as a whole was that she only gave up after confirming that her actions would bring direct consequences to her. It’s too easy to give up and stop playing with time and space when the person you were trying to kill all along shows you how the result of your tampering will cause your own death as well.

Been saying that for years, which is they the revelation of her only pretending to reform so she can find another way to get revenge could have worked well…at least within season 6. After that, it was too late. She was too far gone, so to speak.
Latecomer

@Meanlucario  
I just don’t like that finale, and we need a slot for an episode where she deals with her old followers.

@Anonycat  
And Starlight Glimmer has many good parts.

@Tirimsil  
Mostly agree, but Antagonist Starlight was very good the first time round IMO.

@AC97  
I’ve seen this a few times, and use it in mi own headcanon as well.

@Spinny  
Only if it ended with her being slowly won over for real, and maybe having to then dismantle whatever revenge plan she had set in motion already.
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
@Latecomer  
And that’s fair. Not everyone can/should like everything, especially things I like.

I think we only had Villain Starlight twice, so you like that version of her half of the time.

Her being won over for real would make that twist bearable, at least to me.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide