Unpopular opinion time

CronoM

@Background Pony #22C2  
But it’s a spark the others already have, strictly personality wise. And Twilight doesn’t become this strong, passionate, independent and empathetic character, she remains the most oblivious of the 6 throughout. Her lack of ability to read the room or understand others feelings is what constantly gives her the most trouble.

So what spark is attained besides the superficial magic aspect of it? Seems redundent, so what is her actual purpose story wise beyond taking orders from Celestia?
Latecomer

@CronoM  
Not really - most of the others had always been social. Kwilight may have had frinds of a sort, but she didn’t really recognise them as such. I’m sure she felt she would be the only one who could beat Nightmare Moon and save the day. And maybe she could have made it there on her own - but she wasn’t alone, and she didn’t have to be. She had five wonderful ponies with her - ponies he’d be proud to call friends.

It’s not just her I’m looking at of course - you have to consider the other Magic bearers - Star Swirl, Gallus, arguably Sunset and Starlight… all friendless to start with.
CronoM

@Latecomer  
Starswirled wasn’t really a big advocate of friendship despite having friends and being “the pillar of magic” either. We thought he was in S4 when we heard about Scorpan, but when we finally meet him, that was more the exception then the rule. He did have friends, but he had a stick up his butt and was a judgemental ass.

This isn’t about them being friendless beforehand. It’s about them embracing friendship for their destiny… but only to the bare minimum. Not much of an impressive character arc for the supposed main character, the element of magic, know what I’m saying?

Let me put it plainly…they kind of oversold us on Twilight in the long term. Instead a character with main character charisma, we got a character who embraces the bare minimum compared to her friends, and most of her character motivation is following the path celeatia lays out for her without question.

I don’t hate Twilight, but I can’t help but feel underwhelmed from our supposed main character/element of magic.
CronoM

@Latecomer  
I know 5x more about Sci Twi’s personal wants, desires and unfiltered personality then I have about Pony Twi watching her for 9 seasons. When a character is constantly brown nosing to be in someone else’s expectations, it’s very hard to relate to. Sci Twi didn’t have that problem.
Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
@CronoM  
I don’t want to admit he has a point about Twilight since I do like her, but…

…ugh, it’s like the Starlight shilling we got at one point. Great characters, until the narrative starts telling us they’re paragons of virtue who can do no wrong and are shiny awesome. Like, no one can live up to that shit. And those who can generally possess the character depth of pudding.

Twilight, Starlight and… hell, the rest of the cast are lovable imbeciles who win mostly by blind luck and pluckiness. I like that. I wish they would stop trying to portray them as anything else.
Latecomer

@CronoM  
It would have been nice if she’d made more friends - heck, if all of them had - but I’m quite satisfied with her as a protagonist in most areas. It’s not often the brainy one gets to be the leader.

And I think someone who lacked friends and then opened up to them may have insights a pony who always had friends might lack.

@Philweasel  
Even if the writers may ynot be the best at showing it, she’s a genius who wins by thinking smart and trusting her friends. (if this isn’t happening they’re doing it wrong.) All of the Mane 6 have skill, talent and competence when the writers remember them.
Badumsquish
Generic Messy Hair Anime Anon - Seen and done more than you can imagine
Kalianne - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

ᗡ: 📶 📡
@CronoM  
@Philweasel  
They as characters are in a weird place where they have TONS of flaws. Like, probably the nicest thing you could realistically say about them is some of their hearts are in the right places sometimes (and even THEN, a lot of their accomplishments are based out of selfish or even outright negative desires), and nearly all their victories are due to sheer blind dumb luck or contrived circumstances. It’s just that the show downplays these flaws and acts like they don’t have them. There’s even this weird double standard where other characters do the same bad things the main characters do and WILL be called out for it :P
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Philweasel
Even if the writers may ynot be the best at showing it, she’s a genius who wins by thinking smart and trusting her friends. (if this isn’t happening they’re doing it wrong.) All of the Mane 6 have skill, talent and competence when the writers remember them.

The problem is she almost never shows it. Twilight’s intelligence has been depicted as a negative more often than not. She overthinks herself into so many messes, and it’s rarely her smarts than get her out of them. More often than not it’s getting her friends to fix her shit the magic of friendship that solves her problems.

…the bizarre fact of the matter is Twilight is often the least competent of the mane six. Now I love me some Twilight derp, but it makes the fact that their tongues are fixed firmly up her ass half the time feel really strange.
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Philweasel
Hmm… can you think of an episode where she could have succeeded using her brains without upending the plot?

That’s kinda the problem. The show is designed around the main characters being painfully stupid to force co-dependence, let’s face it. It makes character shilling seem… forced.
Anonycat
Duck - "her mere existence is enough to put me in a quack mood, I might as well return the favor by quacking it around"
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Artist -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Okay, I guess.
@Latecomer  
She was the only one to notice how “Cadence” was being a bitch just pretending to be nice, and how she was casting a weird spell on her brother to make him obedient. Of course, by then she still had no idea that “Cadence” was an impostor, but Twilight still noticed that something was smelling fishy about her.  
She was also able to solve a tough case all by herself on MMMYstery on the Friendship Express.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide