Unpopular opinion time

Twisty

@Background Pony

considering how both the staff and the fandom give more craps about a carrot than spike, it its kind of easy to ignore him.

seriously, it seems like they want to make people dislike spike more and more so that the fandom distants from him and dont care about those kind of things.
Trickquestion
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

@twistedmetalero  
They’ve written themselves into a corner with Spike, I think. They included him from the get go because all the previous pony cartoon has a Spike the Dragon, and then all the writers just kept adding more and more implications to the character (which I would think is the fault of the show’s bloated writer pool then any one writer in particular) and know they’re to the point where I think they realize using him for more slapstick is tasteless, but they can’t seriously examine his issues within the show’s limits. The only option they see is to try to get us all to forget.
Grieffon
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Bronze Bit -
Artist -
Happy Derpy! -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <Grieffon> it does kinda dry out a bit with fast strokes

h
@Itsthinking  
McCarthy treats Spike pretty well so far (TCE, Power Ponies).

Anyone here knows what the Breezies were like in G3? Are they just like normal ponies but smaller and has fairy wings? Same level of intelligence?
Trickquestion

@Grieffon  
OK, I have to disagree with TCE treating Spike well. Twilight treated the worst she has ever had in that episode, and the closest she ever came to an apology was that sappy try hard bullshit hug after the scary door. And after he gets his window, everyone breaks out into song about how Twilight “passed” her precious, moronic test. The only love I saw in that episode was the emotionally disturbed love between a battered trailer park wife and her mentally impaired husband.
Twisty

@Itsthinking

@Trickquestion

it seems the staff is in a constant good spike and bad spike, first they put him in tasteless slapstick, and make him repeat the same errors over and over again, and then they make him do something to make him conquer the fans again.

or sometimes they make a little balanced joke, like how he lost his carrot dog to that bird, and then chased the bastard until he got it back.
Grieffon
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Bronze Bit -
Artist -
Happy Derpy! -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <Grieffon> it does kinda dry out a bit with fast strokes

h
@twistedmetalero  
They just need to decide where he comes in in the grand scheme. What role does he play in all this? Clearly, no one is important to him other than Twilight and Rarity, and he’s only truly important to Twilight, but they need to show it. So far, they only emphasize on how much Spike needs Twilight, not the other way around.

Basically, right now, Spike has no role in the story.
Bolan

I don’t think Spike’s role is any less important than it’s ever been, it’s just that he’s been in more episodes for less reasons. Conservation of detail isn’t being used and it’s making him seem like a useless bystander most of the time. They should only bring him out when he’s needed and show us that he has a life and pursuits of his own and isn’t just a tag-along.
Itsthinking
Princess Ember - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
@Bolan  
To be fair, that’s something that’s been in all of S4 for everyone. I mean, the intro has a whole bunch of secondary characters that are just…there.
Bolan

@Itsthinking

Slowly but surely, those are being justified. I think yesterday’s episode alone earned Big Mac his spot in the photo. The mane characters being everywhere together at once was a problem, but I think things are starting to balance out. The mandatory lines of the mane six haven’t felt as forced as they did in earlier eps.

It’s just that Spike needs his own thing that’s truly his.
Itsthinking
Diamond -
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
@Bolan  
He needs another episode where he has a major role, is what he needs.

Unpopular Opinion:  
I’m glad the writers have realized AJ can’t carry an episode on her own. Now we don’t get as many snoozefests when you’ve got characters who aren’t boring as all hell on screen.
Trickquestion

@Grieffon  
The whole point of AJ is that she’s the down to earth, sensible one. She’s boring and unwatchable on her own because of this, but create great material when paired with a more unhinged pony. Like in Simple Ways.

This is a double edged sword, of course, which I personally felt was a problem in Bats! AJ was being completely sensible about the problem, while Fluttershy was being a bubbly airhead about the situation, and the straight man was portrayed as wrong.
Itsthinking
Diamond -
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
@Grieffon  
Well, she can’t carry an episode on her own. I think that’s well known.

Just this season, she’s been paired with every pony except for Rainbow Dash in some way, all more memorable than any episode alone.
pwingbrony
Non-Fungible Trixie -

It seems like a lot of people overlook some of Spike’s problems and only care when those Problems happen to the ponies.
Let me explain.
When Applejack or Scootaloo don’t have parents, it’s a problem. But when Spike doesn’t have any parents, no one brings it up.
When Twilight may outlive her friends and acquire immortality blues, it’s a problem. Spike probably will outlive his friends too, but no one makes a big deal out of it like they do with Twilight.

There is plenty of fan fiction regarding Spike’s origins. And, I think that, like nearly all of the characters in FiM, there are various levels of respect and disrespect that he gets. It’s just the popular thing to do to deem him worthless. Honestly, I sometimes think that people don’t realize how important his dynamic is to the show. Some episodes and elements, in FiM, that the fandom gushes over would certainly seem to be missing something if he or any of the other characters weren’t there. People don’t give the varied cast of characters enough credit.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide