Wild Manes Content - Read more about the new policy Here

Unpopular opinion time

Latecomer

@DragonBoi471
I kind of feel it sounding artificial/awkward/forced is sort of the point? To make it clear that this is a new and deliberate way of speaking inclusively in a way that shifting to a more audience-familiar term like everybody wouldn’t have. A lot of more politically correct terms sound that way at first, right? (Or maybe I’m just adding layers, lol.)
An all-transcripts scan tells me that Fluttershy had used it before, so that’s probably how they got it. And also that the number of “everybody”s outside of Equestria Girls can practically be counted on one hand and are probably just mistakes.
@Roseluck
Quite possibly! That it would become a word of exclusion later is ironic…
@PuffyDearlySmith
Yeah… people were quite hyped for the very idea of a secretive superheroine too. Theories abounded. That’s probably one reason the disappointment was so grand.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@Latecomer
It makes sense Fluttershy would be the one to coin the term. She’s the one dealing with people (to her) who’re several species at all times instead of just ponies, she’s not gonna say “everypony, night’s coming, back into the coop please!” when talking to her chickens.
Though it does remind me there are sapient donkeys and cows chilling about in Equestria despite their isolationism, which does make their obsession with “everypony” awkward even before the School of Friendship…
(naturally the “literally treated like cattle despite actually being people” cows didn’t appear again after their first episode)
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

World's Okayest User
@PuffyDearlySmith
Yeah… people were quite hyped for the very idea of a secretive superheroine too. Theories abounded. That’s probably one reason the disappointment was so grand.
I remember everyone going “Luna! Luna! Trixie! Luna! Trixie! Trixie! Derpy!”
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
Watching Growing Pains, I dislike how Hitch seen as in the wrong for wanting to keep ponies protected. He did go too far. But Sunny also did by almost doing nothing.
I do like the conflict of Hitchs caution vs Sunnys optimism. Thats always a conflict I like. But I wish there was more nuance instead of just being “Regulation Bad! Libertarianism Good!”
Still I like how Sunny actually has strong views which is better than the previous two episodes. I like her when she fights for something.
CloudMistDragon
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Misty Shadow
@DerpyFast
Yeah, I thought that was perfectly fine character development. Hitch needed to learn that rules and regulations do not fix everything and what happens in the episode is a parallel to something true in real life too. Obeying rules that excessively restrict free expression will only lead you to bottle up your emotions and long for an outlet, the episode’s message is not something so simple as just, “Rules are bad.”.
river mines

@Cosmas-the-Explorer
What I didn’t like about the episode was Izzy’s subplot, in which she was a completely irresponsible and negligent babysitter for Sparky who is a baby
and it was treated as if it were something good!
I know it’s supposed to link to the ep’s lesson but it was very poorly done in my opinion.
CloudMistDragon
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Misty Shadow
@river mines
I better understand people taking issue with the B-story with Izzy, but it was important for her to let Sparky “run free” to demonstrate why Hitch needed to not be so crazy about rules.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music/Charts Enthusiast
@Cosmas-the-Explorer
I haven’t seen the MYM chapters in a long while, and I remember not being a fan of Growing Pains when I first saw it. I need to watch them all again with a refreshed memory so I can see which episode is my favorite and which one is my least favorite and in particular, if my thoughts on that episode changed
river mines

I would understand that if he went to Spike or the CMC as a kid, so it’s wholesome that Izzy decided to be the cool aunt and give him a day of freedom.
but he’s a baby, it’s 100% understandable for a parent to have rules about a baby even if they’re considered a bit strict, and Izzy really didn’t need to follow the rules at all, not respect any instructions his dad gave, let one run wild, make a mess Just because It’s Fun, and leave him alone are irresponsible attitudes.
It was like Cosma said, there was no nuance, the lesson was “regulation is bad, Libertarianism is good”
It would have been nice if this plot showed the other side, that it is also important to follow the rules and instructions because always doing what you want the way you want is also harmful.
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

So I rewatched Growing Pains.
The central idea is “some things you can’t control, and trying to will backfire”. I think it’s less “regulation bad” and more “Hitch having to confront something he can’t regulate”.
Izzy ignoring Hitch’s rules is where the nuance comes from. You watch it and think that Izzy is going to come in and school Hitch with her more freeform parenting style. You think that Izzy came out on top because she got Sparky to take a nap, but then it’s revealed that now Sparky will be up all night, showing that Hitch’s rules exist for a reason. It would have been better if Izzy had to face some consequences for this, but the nuance is there.
CloudMistDragon
Artist -

Misty Shadow
@river mines
Where else would they “place” the nuance? I already pointed this out, Izzy’s way of babysitting with not being extremely fixated on rules being better for Sparky than Hitch’s way of being too fixated on rules was necessary to drive home the message Hitch needed to learn. If Hitch doesn’t learn his lesson, he doesn’t grow as a character. It’s not about trying to push an agenda of how “rules are bad”, it’s about Hitch’s character growth.
river mines

@CloudMistDragon
Just because it has some narrative purpose doesn’t mean it was well done, the A plot already showed why Hitch shouldn’t be so attached to the rules and his evolution as a character.
As I said before, the problem isn’t that Izzy doesn’t stick to the rules when she takes care of Sparky, the problem is that she immediately left to not respect anything that Hitch put in place and took care of a BABY in a bad way and was portrayed as right, in the end it was Izzy who didn’t learn any lessons or grow as a character.
this isn’t something better this is actually something worse.
river mines

they are children playing, Sparky is a BABY who is making a mess.
And I’m going to ask you a question, if you were a parent, would you leave your BABY in the care of someone who,
doesn’t respect any of your instructions, let your baby make a mess in your house and jump on top of tall furniture while they FILM and then abandon the baby in the middle of the mess, leaving your baby with someone else?
If you allowed this, I’m sorry, you would be a very irresponsible parent.
I admit one thing, this view I have is because I’ve taken care of babies, and people in real life doing what Izzy does is something bad, as I said there is a difference between someone not following all the rules (I never follow all) and being irresponsible without no care.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide