Unpopular opinion time

Cosmas-the-Explorer
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
If you had a choice would you have changed Rarity’s element to be the Element of Inspiration. Or do you think Generosity was the best call in the end?
river mines

I think generosity makes more sense as an element of harmony
and it is an easier theme to be explored in episodes, for example, what exactly would Rarity inspiration’s personality be like when corrupted by discord?
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
@Poison Trail
Poison, let’s stick to one controversial opinion per time, shall we?
@river mines
I guess it gives Rarity a good counterbalance.
Artists can sometimes be a bit self centered and think highly of themselves. And while it might make for great creations, it doesn’t make a good person or friend.
Perhaps generosity makes it so they have to eventually reel Rarity back to reality. Otherwise she could be a real jerk.
Suited for Success would basically be: YOU UNCULTURED NORMIES! YOU WILL ACCEPT MY PRECIOUS DRESSES WHETHER YOUR FEEBLE MINDS LIKE IT OR NOT!
Just Wayne
Fluttershy - For supporting the site
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Gold Supporter - Gold Supporter
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Blingo
@Poison Trail
Isn’t inspiring friendship literally what the show is about? It’s called Friendship is Magic.
That said, Generosity makes more sense because it is friendship based. I mean I guess friends can each other to be the best of themselves but it’s like if Dash’s element is called bravery or whatever. Loyalty fits the idea of friendship better.
LP2Lily
Artist -

Lily Fathom
Imagining a noncanon male Vynil Scratch is not sexist. Its actually creative to ones own inner persona. Where any number of changes to characters can be theorized and not just Vynil.
CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
i know people hate when starlight is brought up in this way but for this:
"I like how everyone makes the point that Starlight’s reason for turning evil isn’t enough to justify her actions, because she then proves the idea that having sympathetic backstory doesn’t equal redemption"
im sorry but starlight can not be used as a example or reasoning to show the above statements are true.
the thing is that starlight’s backstory is neither understandable for her actions or sympathetic even for a villain. A backstory like that in fact is often used to make a villain look worse. As if there backstory is be a petty reason for being evil, its usually used in storytelling to show that there irredeemable and won’t change.
opaline frediuan excuse for ex is ridiculously petty. As a filly, Opaline was overshadowed by Celestia and Luna, who supposedly ignored her when she tried to befriend them. This led Opaline to vow to more powerful than anypony else (like it came from ego). Notably when she gets a Flashback claiming her Freudian Excuse of Celestia and Luna being favored over her, what’s shown make it look like it was jealousy of their friendship
(this shows how petty, jealous and egotistical she is)
starlight backstory is just as petty as opalines but one was good for that because it shows how much of a villain they were while the other was supposed to be seen as sympathetic and poor girl just is misunderstood, reform her. Starlight would have even be better as a villain and/or more sympathetic with no backstory at all than what they went with. That’s how bad it is.
" I like this idea that people can just change because they’re willing to, not because so sad stuff that compels them to. The thing is Starlight always regrets her actions and decisions and never justifies anything because of what happened to her. That’s change and I kind of like that better from a villain."
this would be good if that was intentional with starlight. her regretting her actions is good writing, even if she destroyed multiple universes and never suffered any consequences.
"And yeah, that means Discord is included too, but he relapses and that’s not a good change so screw him."
relapsing on old habits is one of the most realistic ways you can write a reforming ever. You can argue he does it too much or at least what he does when he relapses is too much to forgive and I respect that opinion. (Although I will say discord actually suffers consequences. He also isn’t that easily forgiven imo). Relapsing is not inherently bad writing in-fact its good writing, especially when a character is a certain way because of the very existence of their being and would DIE if they completely changed. A being who is literal discord incarnate which means chaos and disharmony being like starlight and sunset all the time would make absolutely NO sense what’s so ever as a character or writing standpoint lol.
Even if you or anyone else reads non of this, i had to speak my mind because I was just like no. Any people in a 100 or 1000 years who might read hope you enjoyed XD
Just Wayne
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Gold Supporter - Gold Supporter
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).

Blingo
@CORDZ2000
You’re saying petty backstories aren’t realistic either. That’s literally my point. Her backstory doesn’t make sense but that doesn’t matter either. I’m not saying her backstory should make her look better. Of course it makes her look worse. It should make her look worse, because backstories aren’t for sympathy points. They’re for reflection, which is why it’s so important Starlight knows it looks worse. If she herself isn’t going to justify her own actions with what happened to her, that means her desire to change is from her own accord and no one else forced her. That feels more in tune with the idea of reformation for me. You change because you want to, because you’re responsible for yourself. I don’t want to look at her backstory anymore. That’s in the past and the past is over. I just want to look at her now, at this moment, where she is trying her best.
And what’s with this idea of her suffering consequences anyway? Does everyone just want to see her punished? Is punishment and judgement all we care about instead of moving forward and changing for the better? Punishment accomplishes nothing, especially when they already regret their actions.
I probably shouldn’t have mentioned Discord and I’m sorry for that. You probably wouldn’t have replied if I didn’t mention Discord. This isn’t about him, or Opaline. This is about Starlight Glimmer.
Vivace
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Artist -

“ShimSham my GlimGlams”
God damn it, we will never grow past that rotten moldy sore spot, will we? We’re just gonna keep picking at it like a scab and possibly eating it. And for the record, those were not different universes; those were timelines. And because the events which lead to their existence never came to pass, they’re hypothetical. They no longer matter. And no pony within the prime timeline even knew that the shenanigans were taking place.
And what’s with this idea of her suffering consequences anyway? Does everyone just want to see her punished? Is punishment and judgement all we care about instead of moving forward and changing for the better?
Yes. There’s been salivation over it in quantities I’d find more appropriate for a real person. Never mind that in Equestria, it’s often been followed up with bitterness and retaliation. Ponies don’t tend to think exactly like humans.
CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
@river mines
i don’t know if anyone exactly deserves redemption at least when it comes to making up for wrongdoings. Now if you were cheated objectively than yeah you deserve another chance. But redemption in the case were talking about means to redeem yourself of something, which is to save yourself from sin to regain something. You wouldn’t need to redeem yourself if you deserved it.
It’s more of would this work best for the story/character, is it the most interesting possibility for their character and does it make sense?
In that case, yes sprout should be redeemed as he was a villain had a very understandable reasoning for being one. Probably most so in the franchise, he grew up in a society that taught him to be racist and was coddled by his mother who reenforced these ideas in his head and told him that they were dangerous and who treated him like a baby as a grown up. No wonder hes a pathetic manchild who tries to take others who he sees as a threat. Him unlearning all he was taught overtime would have been interesting but sadly that ball has been dropped. Misty was abused as a child and never actually did anything that bad (except kidnapping i guess). She’s kinda like zuko were she was more of an antagonist than a villain and even then she’s less of either a villain or antagonist than even zuko lol. So her redemption works fine as there isn’t much to hold against her or forgive.
CORDZ2000

Draconequues Lover zcord
@WaynePonePone
I understand were your coming from and that’s a respectable way to look at starlight. She just doesn’t make any sense as a character for me to like her redemption. Because she shouldn’t have even been a villain in the first place for that reason. I think my more of problem with starlight is actually that’s she’s too nice, she doesn’t have to be discord. But I found it hard to believe how quickly level of nice she is and the little flaws she has after s5. Someone who became a villain just because one friend left town shouldn’t be that nice that quickly.
I think she would have been better with having some anti-hero edge still. And even if the characters forgive pretty easily ever other reformed character still had animosty against them for a while. About being punished, punishment can come less from hating the character and more of from feeling that they earned forgiveness & to make their story more believable. (I’ve seen even some discord fans think he got off to easily in s9 because of that reason).
And before you bring up discord and say its justifiable, that characters had lasting animosty against him. I will say you have a point. But im talking about sunset as well and even TRIXIE who is treated as satan in a blue pone by twilight at first for doing far less than starlight. This and many other reasons are why starlight has been accused of being a mary stu and/or fanfiction character before.
river mines

@CORDZ2000
As for the deserving part, I agree, the reason I thought he deserves redemption is because he’s a good character.
There’s something I don’t understand, Misty joining the group isn’t something that prevents Sprout from having redemption
river mines

@CORDZ2000
One of the reasons so many people believe he would be a protagonist is that in the beginning he seemed to be treated like one, he was the only pony to appear alongside the Mane Five in toys, stickers, commercials and image sets. It’s as if at some point Hasbro changed their mind about the sprout’s role
Twi Clown
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Übermensch in training
…TRIXIE who is treated as satan in a blue pone by twilight at first for doing far less…
Honestly that’s a huge reason why I detest “No Second Prances”. Trixie is way below the line compared to a lot of characters like Tempest Shadow or Luna, but he got a lot more thrown at her. Was he a jerk that deserves some discipline? Yes she does. Do I believe getting Twilight’s scrutiny like she got in this episode despite forgiving others for a lot worse? Heck no. A terrible episode for Twilight, usually I have an easy time understanding whenever she does wrong in other times, but this is sadly not one of them. The closest explanation of lack of personal liking just doesn’t do enough to me.
CORDZ2000

Draconequues Lover zcord
@river mines
Yeah I guess hasbro just thinks if it has too many guys in the main role less people would watch. Despite the fact that just adding one more still wouldn’t equal the ratio of guys:girls. I get that its a girls show (even though its of course fine that us guys watch it, heck who didn’t like kim possible or powerpuff girls?) but guys watch it too and not like girls would stop watching just because guys get to be cool and get major roles.
@Twi Clown
I will say this about “No second prances”. I do think it’s understandable that Twilight doesn’t want Trixie to hang out with Starlight initially because trixie could bring out Starlight’s bad habits again. However yeah, it is pretty silly how much Twilight doesn’t like someone who was a bit egotistical in comparision to forgiving and befriending multiple attempted despots.
@Background Pony #A27F
yeah obviously pipp is taller than that fanart, but its just playing the joke to the extreme for laughs type of things. Like all the fluttershy tree memes/arts, even though she said I’d like to be a tree only once or the 20% awesome etc. lol
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music/Charts Enthusiast
@CORDZ2000
And I also want to point out that before No Second Prances, Twilight and Trixie’s last interaction was in Magic Duel where the latter asked Twilight for forgiveness and she was more or less given a pass.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide