Unpopular opinion time

Background Pony #14A1
@Ring Team  
Well. 3 more episodes.

Well, you are almost there my pal.

I am going to save it for no spoilers for now.

Speaking about the story, the fact that the previous episode from this one was A horse shoe-in, an episode where Starlight forgives Trixie despite that she was being mean and egotistical and not being consequent to Trixie’s actions

Well did tries to give moral about employment, but it flanderized Trixie badly there, and Starlight is a bit of a softy in that EP, also Dr.Whoove got himself embarassed in front of Smolder and other students, and Tiara’s mother… when I see her here, I just want to send her to gulag….  
At least I am relieved to see Sunburst help solves the mess in the end by being Starlight’s second in command finally, still Trixie kind of need to be punished more in the EP before getting what she wants.

Daring doubt was pretty much mediocre.

I am pleased to see Ahuizotl confront members of the mane six the second time, but the EP is notorious for his redemption being “inconsistent”, it is being debunked in the certain thread.

Anyway, Growing up is hard to do was a very weird episode as a CMC fan. It’s another one where I have mixed feelings.

I get the point, the flower thing is too magical and fatansy-ish, but still an enjoyable episode overall, it might take longer for this EP to finish if they aren’t aged, they need to fight ageism along the way, the flower power helped them completely avoided being targeted for ageism by adult ponies.

And The big mac question. The Sugar Belle episodes are boring, and this episode is no exception.

Once again, romance and MLP:FiM don’t mix very well, still, I enjoy Discord’s and Spike’s interaction, however, many boy-focused EPs like this tends to focus too much on romance, kind of a reversed gender portrayal of being used in romance… Granted cuz this is female-dominated show.
Spinny
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Resident Spin Fetishist
Daring doubt was pretty much mediocre. I like the idea of watching an episode that shows some consequences to Daring Do’s actions, but the entire context of not only this episode, but all the Daring Do episodes, was ridiculous.

Daring Doubt is an easy contender for one of the worst episodes of the show. The twist involving Ahuizotl does not work in any freaking capacity considering his prior actions, and it is beyond ludicrous to me that in Daring Do’s final episode, they would choose to absolve him of all wrongdoing while simultaneously shit all over Daring Do for no justifiable reason. And I also place blame on Fluttershy for facilitating this bullshit, which is one of the problems I have with her in season 9 overall. She is just annoying af in how pure she is.

Growing Up is Hard to Do is also terrible. The episode seems intended to entirely undermine all the growth that the CMC have received across the show by suggesting that they’re still too young an naïve to actually accomplish anything meaningful, even despite the fact that they’ve had their cutie marks for several seasons now and have been actively working in their careers for quite a while.
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

I finished the season 9.

I finished the whole show.

The adventures of Twilight and her friends… are over.

I… need a moment.

full
Wiimeiser
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

(Foil Hat)
@Spinny
To be precise, the former is just bad, while the latter is more poorly placed. It would be a fairly solid ep in the middle seasons.

I personally put GUIHTD in Season 1 the CMC are treated that young. They were above this by frickin’ The Cutie Mark Chronicles FFS
Ring Team
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

I’m writing a text about my thoughts on season 9. It’s almost finished and I don’t want it to be long (it needs some paragraphs, some thoughts I want to share and that’s it) and I’ll probably have to create it as a topic instead of a post right here.

But if you want some quick basic thoughts, I’ll say this: I really really really like The Last Problem. I seriously can’t imagine a better ending for a TV show like this one. I really like everything. How the characters aged, the character design, Luster Dawn is really cute and passionate, Twilight’s conflict was very relatable to me in a way that I appreciate my best friends from the past (who I fortunately can contact with thanks to my phone, social media and some apps)… It was a good episode, but as the epilogue for a beloved TV show, it was wonderful.

I think the only problem I have is that, like The last laugh, I wish it was funnier. There are some funny moments, but I think these are more corky moments than funny moments. Details that can make you chuckle a little bit.

And the last 4 minutes…

full

When i heard that Friendship is Magic got its final episode back in october 2019 I remember reading this comment: “You don’t know what you have until it’s gone”. He was goddamn right…

I’m aware not everyone didn’t like this episode, but I have no problem discussing this episode here. As much as I liked it, I can’t be too defensive. If I was defensive, it defeats the purpose of a debate. I think very few episodes have perfect endings, like Gravity Falls and Breaking Bad. And I have to start Steven Universe Future.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
@Ring Team  
Seeing as how much you don’t like Seasons 8 and 9, it’s a genuine surprise hearing that you like The Last Problem seeing as how a lot of people really don’t like it.
Mr.Myoozik
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
@Andyxdr  
I can’t fully speak for them since I liked the finale myself, but the character designs of the mane 6 (especially Twilight and Giga Chad Spike), the whole time skip being a sore spot, how it doesn’t address some old and unresolved plot threads and how it’s connected to The Ending Of The Ending, which were also hated on for their own reasons.
Spinny
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Resident Spin Fetishist
Not a fan of The Last Problem, really. It severely limits the scope of mane six’s futures.

Not to mention the fact that only Pinkie ended up with a kid, which just feels wrong. Seeing all the mane six’s children is something that really would have made a time jump episode worth it. And for crying out loud, you expect me to believe that AJ isn’t going to have kids of her own?!
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Spinny

Makes sense considering Pinkie and Twi were the only ones will established prospective romantic partners.

But Twi only had hers in EQG, and FIM was squeamish about incorporating the EU so…
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

World's Okayest User
The fact only one of them had a kid is dumb as fuck and just depressing. Like, they don’t even need to confirm who their husbands are or if any of them are adopted, I just want them to have someone to pass their lineage too
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Ring Team
Growing Up is Hard to Do is also terrible. The episode seems intended to entirely undermine all the growth that the CMC have received across the show by suggesting that they’re still too young an naïve to actually accomplish anything meaningful, even despite the fact that they’ve had their cutie marks for several seasons now and have been actively working in their careers for quite a while.

I’ve heard that it was written years ago, but not greenlit until Season 9, at which point the team wanted to do that story so badly that they were like “Damn the nerd rage, full speed ahead!”. Doing it while their flanks were still blank would have worked out decently - as you say, what we got amounted to cringe-worthy regression that made it hard to enjoy what could otherwise have been a respectable episode.

@Spinny  
Not a fan of The Last Problem, really. It severely limits the scope of mane six’s futures.

How about the aged-up child characters? Shoving half the Student Six plus the CMC into the School of Friendship as teachers seemed about as un-creative as you can get. It felt like they were just trying to show them somewhere, as opposed to intelligently speculating on what paths they might take.

Though if the Mane Six are any indication, it is possible to teach at the school while maintaining any other full-time career.

@WyrmSpawN  
@Spinny
In the end, she was married to the farm.

Given Applejack’s love of traditional ways, one would think she’d feel the urge to continue the family line. Assuming she is in fact heterosexual, at least.
Background Pony #6744
Talk of bloodlines and lineages weirds me out, honestly. Like, I get it, but the idea that a set of characters HAVE to squeeze out babies in order to be complete in some way just feels… icky to me.
Latecomer

@Spinny  
Well, there’s a lot they could be doing that isn’t brought up - but yeah, certainly gives shape to it.

@Kiryu-Chan  
One is too few, but all would have been to many. And the ships they picked likely had an effect.
Mr.Myoozik

Music Connoisseur
Yeah, the fact that only one managed to have an offspring while the rest didn’t is pretty odd, but in the end it’s meh to me.

Also, I wouldn’t have a problem with Growing Up Is Hard To Do if it wasn’t the fact that it aired after The Last Crusade, which feels like a much fitting closer for the CMC. That and the plot for the episode is just stupid, Spur and Biscuit are okay though.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide