Unpopular opinion time

Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
@Latecomer  
I’m fine with her being in an aunt role, and she was trying her best for Flurry but apparently you can’t discipline a god-mode baby with seemingly more intelligence than the average baby in the show.
Ring Team
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Sorry, Hali, I couldn’t read you before your messages were deleted. But you can send me a message.

By the way, I don’t know about the rest, but it took me some time to find the MLP episodes in the right resolution and the right aspect ratio. With season 7 I’ve watched it in different ways in Dailymotion, so I got weird results. But almost for the entire season 8 I found another website that had better image quality.

I still have wifi issues, but I’ll finish the season 8 sooner.
Latecomer

An in-universe unpopular opinion - did Tempest actually have a point about Equestria squandering it’s power while ponies like her fell through the cracks?
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Latecomer

Quite possibly. Her comment there is generally interpreted to refer to national defense, but “greater uses” could just as easily apply to medical research. Had Equestria focused more of its magical resources there instead of fancy festivals, there may have been a proper solution available to little Fizzlepop (at least a prosthetic horn, if not regeneration) - or for that mater Scootaloo, or the pegasus in the wheelchair from “Trade Ya”, or what have you.

“You don’t need to be not-disabled to be special” is a fine moral in and of itself, but using it as an excuse to slack off with developing actual solutions is, for a culture so focused on friendship, NOT a very friendly thing to do.
Lord WyrmSpawN
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Lingering Wyvern
@Latecomer  
Absolutely.

Remember the episode where the tall-dwarf pillar pony was trying to find a way? Everything his friends were doing implied they were bringing up slacking parts of society, such as in the case of the medicine mare, healing the ‘so many’ sick ponies out there, that we haven’t seen or heard of until that moment.

A small thing, but evidence of the bigger problem Tempest is on about.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Latecomer

Tempest wasn’t wrong per se, but ultimately proven incorrect by sheer virtue of the type of setting she’s in.

Like, Friendship is a literal power source in Equestria. Get enough of it and you can shoot rainbow colored lasers at meanies. Even in the more abstract definitions, Storm King lost because he decided to flip off Tempest at the last minute while Twilight and company only suffered setbacks when they weren’t expressing their comradery, but when they got back together they consistently outmaneuvered Tempest.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@Latecomer  
@DoctorWTF  
@WyrmSpawN  
There should be many more unpopular opinions “‘in-universe” than was depicted, really. Especially directed at the good guys and preferably not coming exclusively from villains whose opinions can easily be discarded because they’re just that laughably evil.

As far as Tempest’s broken horn is concerned, the Crystal War timeline showed that ponies already had prostheses that allowed a pegasus to keep flying with the best of them by the time the Storm King would have shown up.

Obviously a sudden war speeds up technological development—all of Equestria went full Industrial Revolution overnight—and an elite pegasus soldier getting a working new wing doesn’t mean they can do the same with magic horns or that a kid unicorn in the sticks will get/can afford one. But the groundworks seem to be there, at least.

As for everything else re:squandering, you have to realize what world ponies live in.

They’ve been playing a solo game of Civilization, spreading their empire over the entire continent while the ‘opposition’ amounts to one-city species that are several technological eras behind, if not still stuck in the Stone Age, and a few barbarians here and there in the form of roaming monsters.

Ponies also can control the world around them just because of the way they’re born: pegasi and earth ponies mean famine isn’t part of their vocabulary unless something like Windigoes gets involved, and unicorns control freaking night and day. And then you’ve got the alicorns… when creatures like hippogriffs, griffons and zebras have the same power as we do as humans; some can fly too but that’s it.

And adding to that, they have exclusive and full access to the game’s console any time they meet their match: the Elements of Harmony, the Fire of Friendship, the Crystal Heart…

It’s not just Princess Celestia who got extremely comfortable sitting on the same throne of unchallenged, unquestioned absolute power for over one thousand years. The entire pony species has played the game of life on mercy mode for as long as we’ve been shown.

They’ve grown insanely complacent, but the universe they live in gave them every reason to. Even when the Storm King tried to change the game from Civilization to Total War by pulling an Attila, uniting a whole lot of barbarians and getting his own counter to the console, he got crushed.

Why shouldn’t ponies squander their power? It takes a madmare rewriting time to give them a challenge they can’t cheat their way out of.

@Dustcan  
Or that, for short.
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

As far as Tempest’s broken horn is concerned, the Crystal War timeline showed that ponies already had prostheses that allowed a pegasus to keep flying with the best of them by the time the Storm King would have shown up.
Obviously a sudden war speeds up technological development—all of Equestria went full Industrial Revolution overnight—and an elite pegasus soldier getting a working new wing doesn’t mean they can do the same with magic horns or that a kid unicorn in the sticks will get/can afford one. But the groundworks seem to be there, at least.
Or that, for short.

One would expect that for a culture placing so much emphasis on friendship, helping individuals with disabilities would be as strong a motivator for technological progress as winning a war (and that they’d make an honest effort to make any such technology available to all those who need it, not just the rich). As you say, that wouldn’t guarantee that something would be available at the time Fizzlepop lost her horn - in canon there hasn’t been the briefest discussion of how close their medical community is to developing something.

Though it would have been hilarious if somepony was starting clinical trials of a prosthetic horn right as Tempest joined up with the Storm King.

They’ve grown insanely complacent, but the universe they live in gave them every reason to. Even when the Storm King tried to change the game from Civilization to Total War by pulling an Attila, uniting a whole lot of barbarians and getting his own counter to the console, he got crushed.

There was also “Gauntlet of Fire”, where a bunch of dragons expressed interest in launching a full-scale invasion of Equestria if they were to become the next Dragon Lord. Luckily the Mane Six managed to install a pony-friendly leader.

Though in both cases, one would think that considering how easily things could have gotten VERY ugly for Equestria, there’d be at least some discussion of improving their defenses. The “Return of Tempest Shadow” comic had her discussing that with Cadance - perhaps that could be a good career for her.
Roseluck

One would expect that for a culture placing so much emphasis on friendship, helping individuals with disabilities would be as strong a motivator for technological progress as winning a war (and that they’d make an honest effort to make any such technology available to all those who need it, not just the rich).

Are ponies such a culture, though?

This obsession with friendship is all Celestia’s and Twilight’s pet projects for the country and then the world as a whole, if I remember correctly. Not actually something any of the other ponies define themselves or their country by, at least until they get a Fate-sponsored Princess of Friendship overnight and she opens a religious school about the whole thing.

Though it would have been hilarious if somepony was starting clinical trials of a prosthetic horn right as Tempest joined up with the Storm King.

Her story (hopefully) isn’t as simple as what we saw in her song’s flashback, but from what was shown, she ducked out of her hometown the very first time her friends overreacted to her broken magic.

It’s entirely possible these children came back to look for Fizzlepop once they got their wits back together from being scared by unexpected, close-range fireworks, maybe to apologize if they were mature enough to realize that came off wrong, only to never find her again in their lives. Because she ducked out like that.

It’s also possible working horn prostheses already exist, maybe even common knowledge to the point their village at least knows there’s some solution out there, but Tempest never heard about it because, again, she ducked out like that when she was ten years old tops. I’d need to reread the IDW Comics to make sure just how much research she did about Equestrian ways to restore her horn though.

You get some fridge horror if you don’t assume she’s an orphan, too. One day, the daughter of two ponies left to play with her friends and never came back. Considering they’re next to either the Everfree Forest or at least a dangerous place, she’s probably dead… but her parents will never be sure, especially if her friends mention that they did see her again after the cave accident.

And for all we know, Twilight wasn’t sure she was a unicorn at first when she stormshipped in because just who is this unicorn who still has a broken horn when prostheses have been part of Equestria’s social warfare since before her parents were born?

Dark, but hilarious indeed. Which fits what I see when I look at Tempest to a T; an utterly clueless tool that struts around like she’s the meanest, biggest, world-wisest nametaker in the entire universe when she can’t see farther than her own snout and gets played like a fiddle.

There’s another way she “fell through the cracks,” incidentally. It’s not just her broken horn… It seems the towns right next to the worst hazards don’t even a freaking town watch or fire department, for crying out loud. The only reason Appleloosa got a sheriff probably was because it’s nothing more than a western reference, too.

Though in both cases, one would think that considering how easily things could have gotten VERY ugly for Equestria, there’d be at least some discussion of improving their defenses.

I have a relevant theory about why everyone who wasn’t Twilight took Canterlot’s conquest so casually.

They started writing the movie right after season four concluded, right? Right after the Mane 6 defeated Tirek against all odds—Twilight had just given up all the magic that was left in Equestria to him, making him unstoppable—because the universe itself opened the console and typed ‘toggle god mode.’

Why should they take the Storm King’s invasion seriously? They’ll win whatever happens. And, indeed, he betrayed Tempest for the evulz at the last second and politely defeated himself.

The “Return of Tempest Shadow” comic had her discussing that with Cadance — perhaps that could be a good career for her.

On one hand, Tempest is probably the most qualified advisor for military matters. Which isn’t saying much, really, even without the fact that this “Commander” Tempest was nothing more than a homing missile in the movie as opposed to an actual tactician or strategist.

On the other hand, when I consider why she became this homing missile with anger issues, I can’t help but want her to have a career that’s free of all this baggage. Both her life and the fandom pigeonholed her into being a soldier, but maybe she had a dream job before she lost her horn? Considering she’s basically elite pegasus-levels of fast and flexible, maybe she can be anything from a dancer to an acrobat or a cheerleader?

How’s that, Fizzlepop? What do you want to do with your life? It’s the first time in a long while anyone asked you this, isn’t it? Haha.

@Dustcan  
Twilight being a slobbish overeater in Pony Life never fails to make me laugh.

It’s canon to the original show, isn’t it?  

I really need to start watching Pony Life. They even dubbed it in French, for Rainbow’s sake.
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Are ponies such a culture, though?
This obsession with friendship is all Celestia’s and Twilight’s pet projects for the country and then the world as a whole, if I remember correctly. Not actually something any of the other ponies define themselves or their country by, at least until they get a Fate-sponsored Princess of Friendship overnight and she opens a religious school about the whole thing.

Well, at least Tempest and Scootaloo know Twilight personally. I’m sure that if either of them asked nicely, she’d happily put a few extra bits towards medical research that could help them.

It’s also possible working horn prostheses already exist, maybe even common knowledge to the point their village at least knows there’s some solution out there, but Tempest never heard about it because, again, she ducked out like that when she was ten years old tops. I’d need to reread the IDW Comics to make sure just how much research she did about Equestrian ways to restore her horn though.

None of her comic appearances (in the main series, anyhow - still haven’t read “Nightmare Knights”) have the slightest discussion of whether prosthetic horns are a thing, or if not how soon one might be ready for clinical trials.

Though the movie kind of made it feel like her motivation for getting fixed was more about being normal for the sake of being normal than doing anything magic-related with her life. In that case, a prosthesis might not have been a satisfactory solution for her, even if it were functionally fit for a princess.

Plus in her post-movie comic appearances, she has somehow regained her telekinesis. So at this point it’s kind of debatable whether she’d still want a prosthesis all that badly.

On one hand, Tempest is probably the most qualified advisor for military matters. Which isn’t saying much, really, even without the fact that this “Commander” Tempest was nothing more than a homing missile in the movie as opposed to an actual tactician or strategist.
On the other hand, when I consider why she became this homing missile with anger issues, I can’t help but want her to have a career that’s free of all this baggage. Both her life and the fandom pigeonholed her into being a soldier, but maybe she had a dream job before she lost her horn?

In the comics, it was stated that she was set to go to the School for Gifted Unicorns with her friends before the Ursa Minor incident. Though her friends both washed out, and she doesn’t seem like the intellectual type, so…

Though even if she herself doesn’t have that much interest in wizardry, her raw magical power would likely make her the ideal test subject for prosthetic horns, so as to help prevent some other unlucky pony from turning out like her. “Guinea pig” isn’t exactly a satisfying career in and of itself by most standards, but it’s a start.
Latecomer

@DoctorWTF  
Well, we don’t know they aren’t working at it - just that they haven’t succeeded.

@WyrmSpawN  
I think medicine is one area which will always see demand - especially if some of Meadowbrook’s remedies has been lost over the years.

@Dustcan  
I guess she felt friendships were weak because her own fell apart after her injury.

@Knight of the Raven  
There should be many more unpopular opinions “‘in-universe” than was depicted, really. Especially directed at the good guys and preferably not coming exclusively from villains whose opinions can easily be discarded because they’re just that laughably evil.

I still think the EEA should have been represented by two or three ponies with different opinions - an old teacher of Twilight’s who turned out to be the racist, a rulebook curmudgeon who comes to understand friendship teaching is a bit different, and possibly a big Mane 6 fan who has to learn that being heroes doesn’t necessarily give them the skills to run a school.

Why should they take the Storm King’s invasion seriously? They’ll win whatever happens. And, indeed, he betrayed Tempest for the evulz at the last second and politely defeated himself.

I think there’s something of a fuzzy line between narrative and in-universe logic here. Just because the good guys will always win, doesn’t mean that the Season 5 finale timelines aren’t viable outcomes. And even if the Storm King’s reign only lasted three days, if he has one of his soldiers throw a (non-pegasus) pony of the mountain, they still go splat and won’t come back.

(If anything, I think the Storm King may finally have taught that lesson - Neighsay, who’s almost certainly a Canterlot resident who lived through that and the changelings, could be seen as an overreaction to such.)
Background Pony #E406
Unpopular opinion:  
Mega turboslut fandom Cadence has always been weird.
Background Pony #E406
@Latecomer  
I don’t think it has to be marriage automatically but sleeping with every and anything that moves, endless orgies and being a complete sexually deviant degenerate nonstop like she’s portrayed in a number of fan works just because she’s the love princess always struck me as weird. Sure, lust can come about from love and love can be born out of lust but lust doesn’t = love.
Roseluck

@DoctorWTF  
Thanks for the info about the comics!

@Latecomer  
I think there’s something of a fuzzy line between narrative and in-universe logic here. Just because the good guys will always win, doesn’t mean that the Season 5 finale timelines aren’t viable outcomes. And even if the Storm King’s reign only lasted three days, if he has one of his soldiers throw a (non-pegasus) pony of the mountain, they still go splat and won’t come back.

Yeah, my theory’s not all that serious. I’m just grasping at straws at an excuse that explains why almost everyone was so cavalier about the whole thing.

Another straw is that it was a movie for kids that was supposed to stand on its own, so no point in adding unnecessary worry among the characters… and yet another straw was that it was really a Twilight Sparkle movie, and the others were only there because they ‘had’ to be, because they’re all part of the same set in the show they actually star in.

@Background Pony #E406  
@Background Pony #E406  
It was before my time, but I assume Princess Molestia is relevant here. There’s a demand for that kind of character, she was so popular she appeared in something like 80% of Celestia fanarts I saw when I started watching Friendship is Magic.

So, the demand’s there, but it’s much easier to warp the Princess of Love into the Princess of Everything That Moves And Most Things That Don’t than it is to warp the Princess of the Sun. There’s actually room for such a depiction, so to speak; where this kind of Celestia is entirely out of the blue from what the show gave us, this kind of Cadance is ‘only’ an alternate interpretation.

I think this is an unpopular opinion, because every single time I’ve seen someone mention him in posts or depict him in fanworks it was to criticize or blame him for something… but I actually love Star Swirl the Bearded.
Background Pony #E406
@Knight of the Raven  
Molestia was different though. She was always a controversial character and seemed to act half as a draw to people into characters like that and half as an absurdist troll project to people offended by characters like her.

The turboslut cadence thing, unfortunately, seems to be her dominant portrayal in the fandom now. I don’t even hate lewdness, its just tiring to see any adult rated pony thing with her in it, the mentality around writing or drawing her is basically ‘it just wouldn’t be cadence if she didn’t have 3 guys running a train on her’.
Mildgyth
Best Pink Pony - For being the first person to reach 50k uploads, managing the site's featured images, and countless other contributions to the site.
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Senior Moderator
Humata, Hukhta, Hvarshta
@DoctorWTF

They probably regard Celestia as their best line of defense against dragons, at least - i find it hard to believe that in the thousand years between Nightmare Moon’s banishment and the start of the series, no Dragon Lord, or not even some souped-up dragon with a crew, ever tried and failed to do the same thing that Garble wanted.
Latecomer

@Background Pony #E406  
Well, “love” is a pretty vague thing anyway. Cadance seems mostly aligned to the romantic, couply sort - what the Greeks called eros - and that’s on the border of lust. Throw in sex-positivity and general fan horniness…

(My Cadance defintly had an exploratory phase, but I’m vague on the details - just that she travelled around Equestria learning about the various forms and nuances of love.)

@Knight of the Raven  
Well, that just goes to “it really wasn’t a very good movie, was it?”
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide