Unpopular opinion time

AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

@Philweasel

I think the thing about “Twilight Twinkle” (Twilight Sparkle, in other words) is pretty interesting, in that the part about “The Queen sees that she could one day become the most magical pony in all of Equestria, if only she is exposed to the right conditions,” when coupled with her being a “natural born leader,” makes it maybe slightly obvious that she was possibly going to be Celestia’s successor, even if you’ve read nothing beyond the Show Bible.

(also, how her “unicorn power” was “casts light in the darkness, to illuminate, lights the way”)

Zecora’s name was… “Shaman.”

Pretty interesting stuff overall… and it’s also true, the thing about Applejack headbutting trees. “Apple bonking” would’ve been done for generations by the Apples because it “knocks out twice as many apples as bucking.”

…so yeah, that uh… I’m not sure if a 2x advantage would ever be worth the head pain and brain damage (certainly don’t think it’d help your endurance, being injured more), so Executive Meddling certainly helped out on that one.

(It seemed like “Fillydelphia” would’ve played more of a role in the earlier planning stages, and I think I possibly caught at least one case of it implying that’s where the main cast lives, as opposed to Ponyville, like with the episode idea of “Fancy Meeting You Deer”)

@Myoozik

Something I also noticed while reading it, is that there’s some incorrect uses of “it’s” to denote ownership.

(not word for word something that happened, but I mean an error like, “the pony looked at it’s mane”)

Also, Rarity had her “pony type” referred to as “Earth Pony,” even though the description and illustration clearly described her as a unicorn.
Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
@AC97  
I must admit, despite my jokes I appreciate the symbolism of Twilight’s original cutie mark, the union of the Sun and Moon, along with it’s connection to magic and witchcraft.

I’m not sure why Lauren ever thought it was going to fly though, especially since it isn’t even the classic Hecate moon and star.  
full

It’s… the Turkish Flag. It’s even aligned identically.  
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Philweasel

Huh, you’re absolutely right, it is the Turkish Flag.

I can’t think of a scenario where they looked at it and went “yep, approved.” I’d argue that the top right one might’ve looked better.

And yeah, you can definitely appreciate the symbolism that earlier cutie mark had before (the joining of day and night), though her final cutie mark did have a good amount of symbolism, itself (if less related to day and night).

I believe how magic was described as working in Boast Busters (which was Episode 6 of Season 1) was an artifact/leftover of the earlier developmental stages (as you can kinda see in the Show Bible), with how it said unicorns for the most part (meaning those not Twilight) inherently only having a little magic that matches their special talents, as a general rule (they never really did much of anything with that before or after that episode, since magic kinda seems to have soft rules in the setting, overall, and it seems to generally be portrayed as something you can learn/train in).
Latecomer

@AC97  
I’ve never seen sny real reason to dispute that exposition - well, besdies the fact that most unicorns don’t even live up to that minimal standard.
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Latecomer

A lot of that I think comes down to the main cast being the ones mostly focused on, but I think it’s perhaps strange how spell books and magic schools are as much of a thing as they seem to be, when it seems like it was pointing to “you were born with X abilities, so it is,” in Boast Busters, versus “a pony’s aptitude for magic and capacity to learn affects their abilities,” as far as how it seemed to be portrayed as in general. Sunburst does have a magic-related talent, in that he understands it… but his inherent potential hinders him.

For instance, I don’t think Sweetie Belle’s special talent is all that inherently magic related, and yet she’s later on capable of casting weak shields (S7), Accelero (S8) and teleportation (S9), seasons after it’s established that she’s learned how to use basic magic (telekinesis) under Twilight’s tutelage (Twilight Time, S4).
Latecomer

@AC97  
I think learning is mostly for those who might be classified as “Gifted Unicorns”, like Twilight/Trixie/Sunburst etc. Others might try and dabble, but it’s basically like leaning how to program a computer by playing a musical instrument.

(I found teleporting Sweetie jarring, to be honest - it in particular had always been treated as a shorthand for skilled and powerful mages.)
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Latecomer  
Twilight is her teacher. I’m guessing that gives her certain advantages. And at least it’s well established that she’s enthusiastic about magic.
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Latecomer  
She’s been mentioned and shown learning it from Twilight, and frequently attempts and is occasionally shown pulling off some decent stuff.

It’s not a huge part of her character, but it’s been infrequently mentioned over a good few seasons.
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Latecomer  
‘Twilight Time’ illustrates it very heavily. Also foreshadows Diamond Tiara’s talent, funnily enough.

Twilight Time is also deep into Twilight’s “Yay, I have wings… shame I’ve lost my personality.” phase, is seriously mediocre and surrounded by much better episodes, so I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if you’d forgotten it.
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Latecomer  
Well I thought it was weird at the time too, but as I said her magical talent has since come up at least once a season so I guessed she must have stuck with it.
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Philweasel

I’d think at least one of Sweetie Belle’s motivations for practicing magic is outlined in that fantasy, in that she’d rather not be stepped on by bullies. She obviously stuck to it, because even in the absence of being bullied as of S5, hey, Twilight’s still pretty cool, to a kid like her, right, so working at it might be worth it?

(I doubt she’d be on the level of Starlight as an adult, but I’d imagine she’d be pretty respectable overall, adept, above average)

That little touch in S5 seemed to possibly point to her looking to improve her magic, I think.
Background Pony #89DC
I know the potions thing is supposed to just be fun, but I don’t buy Twilight would just be “okay” with Pinkie being able to order reality-warping potions from somewhere without taking the time to research who makes them or how they can cause so many effects.
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@AC97  
Honestly I feel Sweetie is the most aggressive of the CMC, weirdly enough. I could certainly see her learning magic because she wants to be able to fight, and stick up for herself.

Scoots thinks she’s tough, but I’ve always suspected Sweetie could beat her up.

And as for singing, they had to downplay that for real life reasons. Clare Corlett isn’t an exceptional singer, and was actually a tiny bit salty about being overdubbed in season 1.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ponies Online! - April 13-14

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide