Unpopular opinion time

AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

@GenericArchangel
hard to not see malice in it. everything the legion of doom did, they did on his orders. also don’t forget he outright threatened them with death if they refused to follow his orders in the first place. that they were bad people doesn’t change that he was worse every step of the way.

What part of “go behind ‘Grogar’s’ back to destabilize Equestria” was “on his orders?”

They planned and did all of that of their own volition, not to mention how “forced to do it” ceased to hold up when he got backstabbed. It’s not really “entrapment” in a technical sense if they’re liable to do it themselves, let alone if they went out of their way to do it themselves under your nose. Destroying crops is kind of a war crime, as is this, probably. It’s not like they were ever under the impression that they were only hurting like six people they specifically hated, doing any of that, or something.

They did about two things “on his orders”: stay around “his lair” (the real Grogar should probably sue him if he still exists), and attempt to retrieve a bell at the peak of what he assumed was an insurmountable obstacle, the former of which was not even enforced very well at all, given the presumably long periods of downtime they had, allowing them to go under his nose.

He was foolishly neglectful, but nothing he actually succeeded in doing went past “you’ve provided the means by which this can happen and didn’t stop it.” Sombra did not follow his orders, and it’s kinda disingenuous to say the other three did except in the most loose sense.

Realistically, Discord, if what he wanted to do was get rid of everyone so he could rule, had opportunities at multiple points in the S9 premiere to permanently defeat the Mane Six, yet he didn’t, so I think it’s justifiable enough for the characters to not go “Discord obviously tried to both betray and overthrow us again” if they thought about it for about 20-30 seconds (Harmony itself seemed to decide he meant it long ago), and Celestia, whether she covered it up or not (there’s technically speaking not any proof she did or didn’t, regardless of if he’s seen pictured in a newspaper or not, so that’s not exactly a solid sealed case for “Celestia is a complete despot,” IMO, especially if she’s handing over the reins to someone else in short order), “didn’t exactly strike me as ‘being totally okay with Discord’s actions’ in a technical sense.

(food for trivial thought: Discord in the premiere was frustrated that Twilight “wasn’t ready,” the coronation put off, because that meant he had to put off his final test plan, and stall for time, with those three doing nothing… so Celestia and Luna inadvertently contributed to that two-parter, by indirectly allowing for those three to enact their plans via Discord’s negligence in actually planning on how to keep them occupied while he wasn’t watching over them… so the “safety net” aspect of it fell apart)

(Either way, Discord is a rather reckless Q expy.)

And perhaps it would’ve been a better idea if they’d gone with the earlier draft of the Rainbow Blast turning them to stone on the spot

To be clear, I am not defending Discord’s actions. They were foolish, and him being a bad friend, well-intentioned or not, and one would really hope he beat himself up for years to come, and others didn’t exactly let him live it down.

It would’ve probably helped if those weren’t his last episodes.
Terminal Rex

Going Indognito mode..
@Sparx  
If the show wants to reform villains it needs to do a better job. Don’t blame the audience when the abusive cackling psychopath isn’t received with open arms after 5 minutes of “sorry guys, we good?”.
Background Pony #89DC
@Sparx  
It doesn’t matter. If the Villain Trio was redeemed in the finale, then people would be complaining about the writers redeeming every character on the show, how fast their redemption was, how it contrasted with their behavior earlier, etc.
Spinny
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Resident Spin Fetishist
@Sparx

Reformations are done terribly most of the time, but Cozy definitely should have reformed while Tirek and Chrysalis faced punishment.
DanielTepesKraus
Greatest Poster in the Board -
GREEN - TALK TO ME
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Equality - Was more equal than the rest of the people during the event and did the only smart thing: wasn't there :^)

will return
@AC97  
pretty much every line he said in the season premiere two parter was either “we’re going to attack equestria” or “do it or i’ll kill you”:  
Grogar: I assure you, I am very real. And you have all been brought here as part of my plan to rid Equestria of Twilight Sparkle and her friends once and for all.
Grogar: Silence! I’ve spent millennia gathering power, biding my time, waiting for the perfect opportunity to seize control of Equestria!
Grogar: I suggest nothing. I demand that you join me, and together, Equestria will be ours!
King Sombra: And if I refuse this deal?
Grogar: Then I shall return you to the darkness from which you were summoned.
Grogar: I’d say he gambled and lost! But at least he can serve as a warning to those who doubt continuing with my plans. Unless any of you have doubts.
they took on equestria, just like he wanted. only difference was they decided they didn’t want the asshole who was using them as servants under threats of death to be in charge of them. besides, are we really blaming them for turning on him? if some asshole effectively enslaved you, used threats of death and violence to make you do what he wanted, but then handed you a gun and turned his back, wouldn’t you shoot him?

@Sparx  
to be fair though, nearly all the “woobiefication” (i’m assuming that means pity) is all in response to one single particularly salty salmon who’s replying to basically everyone.

@Sparx  
i think most people wish reformations were done as a natural part of a character’s, well, character. not just done for the sake of reforming or not reforming a villain. it’s why most of the complaints are about the double standard nature of it, or how out-of-nowhere the reformations are. all the reformed villains had zero foreshadowing that they had any capacity whatsoever to change their ways or that they had any good qualities to them.

minor example, compare sandman from spectacular spider-man. he was a villain, but it was made clear in his introductory episode (before he was even the sandman) that he’s just a thief and actually not that bad a person at heart and that he doesn’t actually want to hurt anyone. so in his final episode, where he realizes what he’s done is going to cause a lot of people to die, his sacrifice to save them felt completely in-character for him. he wasn’t just running around trying to kill people left and right and loving every second of it, but then suddenly was like “oh shit i don’t want to hurt anyone i’m a good guy now!”
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
I think everyone should have their opinion about Discord as they want, but isn’t he just a victim of the writers? According to the motto, how can we surprise our audience again at the end of the series?
Vinylshadow
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab

Megalomaniacal toaster
@Spinny  
Chrysalis and Cozy are both unrepentantly evil, and rejected reformation, which led to them being stoned.

Heck, the only one of the Legion who deserved a chance was Tirek, who probably could’ve been talked around.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide