Unpopular opinion time

AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

@Terminal Red

In the end, Starlight was someone who had traits reminiscent of having BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder), and could be dealt with accordingly, Chrysalis was a massive narcissist, beyond Discord, and was more sociopathic than he ever was, Stygian had bad self-esteem/jealousy and fucked up (like Luna), Cozy Glow was a psychopath, and Tirek was a genocidal egomaniac who responded murderously to daddy issues being pointed out, and was pissy over his brother “betraying him,” when he offered him a way out.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
Does that even deserve to be called hell outside of the name? That looks more like a prison for dangerous beasts from what we’ve seen.

Well before ethnocentrism happened Tartarus was closer to Christian Purgatory than Christian Hell. So calling what we saw Tartarus is more appropriate than calling it Hell.

Sure later tellings added ironic punishments to some prisoners, but even then one “Hell” punishes an egomaniac by forcing him to push a bolder up a hill for all eternity… or until he admits he ain’t hot stuff vs one “Hell” damning you to fire and brimstone for all eternity just because you took it up the butt one time.
Badumsquish
Generic Messy Hair Anime Anon - Seen and done more than you can imagine
Kalianne - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

ᗡ: 📶 📡
@Terminal Red  
What doesn’t help the show’s redemptions as a whole is they’ve always had self-serving or personal reasons to reform the characters they did: Nightmare Moon was Celestia’s sister, they wanted to use Discord’s power for their own ends, and Twilight took a biased interest in Starlight (I don’t count “her being too dangerous to set free” because they could have just sent HER to hell). All other major antagonists are treated with zero sympathy and understanding, and even minor at best antagonists like Trixie are treated at best with contempt and mistrust and at worst outright hatred (on one occasion, outright killed) until a biased reason to forgive them (in Trixie’s case, because Starlight wanted it) arises or it just happens they were good all along. Intentional or not, it kind of casts a fairly negative light on the characters moralities and motives and honestly cheapens the whole forgiveness and redemption narrative :/
Terminal Rex

Going Indognito mode..
@Badumsquish  
What about gilda? She was a minor antagonist and no villain, but pinkie was set on reconciling her with dash, even before dash needed her help.

Or perhaps I’m remembering it wrong.
Latecomer

@Terminal Red  
In that case, the map was probably a factor. But also restoring a broken friendship is not quite the same thing - especially since Pinkie might have felt responsible for said break.
TheAmazingPeanuts

@Latecomer  
We don’t need to fully know about her backstory, just a little insight on how she gotten the way she did. But like you said, the writers haven’t been good at giving these antagonists a realistic backstory.
Badumsquish
Generic Messy Hair Anime Anon - Seen and done more than you can imagine
Kalianne - Derpi Supporter
King Sombra - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

ᗡ: 📶 📡
@Terminal Red  
It’s not like it ruins things, like, it’s honestly more realistic when characters are driven by biased motives because people ARE biased and would be more likely to sympathize with or dislike people based on such things. It certainly makes the characters more relatable and realistic. It just consequently adds a kind of cynical tone to an otherwise optimistic thing and undermines the concept of believing in friendship or forgiveness because it’s just the good or right thing to do :D

@Terminal Red  
Dash absolutely hated her, and all griffons to an extent, and really for no valid reason, until Gilda saved her life. It certainly doesn’t help either that the Friendship Map was involved, or that Dash when left to her own morals would hate an ex-friend for making a scene at a party and being a bit of a jerk to her friends yet would repeatedly forgive and hold no grudges against the woman who hurt and mind-raped her and her friends on multiple unrelated occasions because Twilight wanted said woman as a pupil :P
Egil
Non-Fungible Trixie -

screaming forever
If anything we’re too forgiving. Like when I saw that there were actual living breathing human beings trying to paint one of the Boston Marathon Bombers as some kind of victim was the day I decided mankind’s standards were fucking dead.
Star Seeker

Annoying fan has arrived
…not only was villain Starlight of the season 5 finale WAY more intelligent and Machiavellian then Cozy Glow or Reformed Starlight…

I mean… That’s debatable. At least Starlight had a reason for doing things, as short-sighted as it was. I not going to say you’re wrong in saying that Starlight was super evil, because that would not change the fact that Cozy is worse than her by virtue of:  
  • Almost killing children and thinking nothing of it  
  • Betraying teachers who thought she was learning their way of life for power  
  • Almost dooming the entire country willingly. Twice.  
  • Leaving aforementioned teachers to rot in prison with her pen pal.  
  • Not felling any remorse for the above and refusing the chance to explain herself or stop  
  • Teaming up with some of the biggest threats of the country instead of backing down ( probably wasn’t an option, but she didn’t even consider it).  
    -… And many more.

I aware of the bad thing Starlight did, yes, but they would thing pale in comparison in sheer scummy-ness.

I mean, maybe the brainwashing thing could top that, but you didn’t reffer to that, so…

… and did this not out of ideology, but out of overwhelming and cruel and completely evil SPITE.

And why did she have that spite? Because Twilight destroyed her carefully constructed village.  
And why was this a big deal to her? Because of her ideology.  
And why is her ideology important? Because she believe ( wrongly ) that CMs were bad and though the world was better without them.

Did she overreact due to her need for revenge? Most certainly. That is one of Starlight defining characteristics, Overreacting. However, Starlight herself was not aware of the unfairly large scale that the consequences of her actions had, after all, she dismissed how important Twilight’s friendship with the girls was to the world and though she was a nobody. There is also nothing in that episode that explicitly say that she knew what she was doing to Twilight other than hurting her heart, but only because of the friendships she was severing, not the bad futures she never saw.

…Their ideologies weren’t the only difference…

You’re right, they weren’t. Starlight was oblivious to her (moral) mistakes. Cozy wasn’t, she knew what she was doing and what it meant.

… The reason Starlight reformed was because she was given the ULTIMATE denial of her own path.

I though that it was because she realize the the mistake she made due to a lie she beheld stubbornly, as it’s never suggested that the reason she was horrified of that future was because of what she did, and not what happened to her and her path, especifically.

She could have, but that’s not what is shown and said.

…That’s not something Cozy Glow would of gone through either with her confidence intact, and you know it.

… No, I don’t, because that was never explicitly shown.

… Cozy IS really good at being evil, but as all as adults with retrospect know, kids have no filter.

Yes, most kids have no filter. However, that does not mean that the same applies to Cozy, and with few possible exceptions, nothing in the show suggests that it is.

I mean, this:  
(keep in mind that she is mocking someone lack of ability in a certain area in this scene. Who and what ability doesn’t matter, just that they are insecure about it)

… Doesn’t exactly seems and sounds like someone who is not unaware of what they’re doing entails, orwilling to undergo any type of therapy or redemption. In fact, it sounds like something Chrysalis would do if she cared who Fluttershy was. Also be aware that Cozy has No Reason to mock her like this. But who knows, that’s just me.  
A kid just intelligent enough to get a grasp and passion for sadism would be an absolute terror. But she’s isn’t some perpetual creature destined to do the same thing over and over again forever. She’s merely a kid with prodigy nasty streak. Especially as children, our minds grow, our minds learn when confronted with arguments better then oneself, our hearts change. Cozy was mentally prepared to reject all regular friendships with no special treatment. She is a bad egg, but she ain’t the devil. She can be outwitted, she can be emotionally perplexed.

Problem is, nothing in the show suggests that Cozy is like any other child her age ( and a certain scene), and this assumption is what caused the S8 Finale in the first place, and neither does she seems interested on the mere thought of stopping and thinking about what she is doing, both for herself and others.

If anything her desire for power was reflective on how naive and short sighted she was, despite being mentally more advanced for a kid her age

I mean, by that logic, other evil character im the show are naive as well.

However, even if Cozy is naive or has other has child characteristics, that doesn’t mean that she is capable of redemption by the show standards, but since that doesn’t mean anything to certain people; she was scummy, perhaps more than maybe one of her emprisoned companions, and if they were given the same sentenced- one of them also given a chance to stop what they were doing - why should her be the same? “because her being a child matters”?  
Even though

… If someone far more intelligent the Cozy…

Assuming they exist  
But that would still be a gamble that could be extremely risky, unlike Starlight, who already gave up before Twilight decided her “punishment”.  
(a very obvious difference between sending a child to Tartarus for what she did when compared to punishing a former cult leader and time terrorist with free room and board)

A “time terrorist” who already gave up and was accepting of any type of punishment, realized why what she did was wrong and, when given the chance, improved for the better.

Cozy never gave up, selfishly though what she did was “right” because power, and never attempted to improve herself even when given the option.

… things may have been a lot different.

And that’s just it. They MAY have been different. Both for the characters in the show and the audience, there is no reason to assume that it would work out, and Cozy herself makes it hard due to who she is and how hostile she was being.

… Some adults in the comments see it as an excuse for Cozy to get to do whatever she wants, but I see the opposite…Cozy being a child is an excuse for Bronies to blame the actions of a child, a creature with very little experience or self reflection, with as much hate as possible, without accepting what children really are to ruin their fun.

That is… The most ridiculous thing I ever read you say.

On Cozy’s end however, Tartarus then petrification were two incredibly high penalties.

By the way, you keep talking about Starlight doing time terrorism and how horrible she is for it, but:  
1- She didn’t know she was doing it, was visibly horrified whe she discovered, and started denying it before accepting that what she did was really wrong  
2- She was fine with being punished for it.  
3- How horrible that time terromism actually isn’t clear because the show doesn’t explicitly show what happened to them.  
4- Time terromism isn’t even established as being as horrible as you say it is, it only assumptions. Maybe it is terrible in the your head, but is it just as terrible the world of the show? It is bad, mind you, but how much?

Now, all things considered, who is the less evil of the two and more reasonable to have Twilight redeeming?

I not saying that Starlight is/was a saint, obviously, she did horrible things, but at least she realized it before I was too late. Unlike a certain filly.
gingerninja666
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Kaze ni Nare
Technically, what Starlight did using time travel couldn’t be considered terrorism

A terrorist is: “a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.” Her time travel attacks on Twilight were vengeance based. Twilight hurt Starlight, so she hurt Twilight. It was a personal attack with unintended consequences.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
@Myoozik
I’m not saying that every villain needs a backstory but Cozy Glow is a child, I think giving a hint of why she evil in the first place wouldn’t hurt.

Oh don’t worry, I definitely agree with you there that Cozy should’ve had a backstory to see why she turned out the way she did.
Mildgyth
Best Pink Pony - For being the first person to reach 50k uploads, managing the site's featured images, and countless other contributions to the site.
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
Humata, Hukhta, Hvarshta
@Egil

If you found these fools in the internet, you got your answer.

From personal experience i find that most people don’t believe on bad people changing for the better.
CronoM

@Star Seeker  
I do agree your arguments WERE pointless.

Just to start off with the most obvious a 10 year old could figure out, Starlight made it painfully aware she knew that kidnapping and using time travel to tear apart friendships were immoral mistakes/things to do. Her ideology was important to her, but she had very little ignorance on the immorality of the methods of her actions even by her standards. Even more so then ‘the ends justify the means’, she simply didn’t care how immoral her means were. Her ONLY limit to an acceptable result was an assured apocalypse.

Spite and Revenge and Time Terrorism became her choices in the finale over more productive paths BECAUSE she wholeheartedly embraced evil actions. Her actions in the finale didn’t help rebuild her ideology, it simply felt good to her to be evil and spiteful to those she didn’t like.
Mildgyth
Best Pink Pony - For being the first person to reach 50k uploads, managing the site's featured images, and countless other contributions to the site.
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
Humata, Hukhta, Hvarshta
Just to start off with the most obvious a 10 year old could figure out, Starlight made it painfully aware she knew that kidnapping and using time travel to tear apart friendships were immoral mistakes/things to do. Her ideology was important to her, but she had very little ignorance on the immorality of the methods of her actions even by her standards. Even more so then ’the ends justify the means’, she simply didn’t care how immoral her means were. Her ONLY limit to an acceptable result was an assured apocalypse.

Although this is true, given that, i don’t see how somehow Cozy is more reformable than Starlight - because she certainly knew how immoral her actions were - if she didn’t she wouldn’t even have bothered to keep up her façade for so long - and didn’t have any limit for a acceptable result, given that her plan would also have resulted in a assured apocalypse, which was a conclusion that could be easily reached if she thought things through. That she just pressed along with her plan anyway means that either she didn’t think the plan through or she didn’t care.

And before you pull the age argument again, look at my list of four pages ago and notice how none of the examples i listed got any better with age - even those who got caught. 1

1 - And the one that could qualify is rather doubtful because we know almost nothing of what came of her after she was released.
CronoM

I aware of the bad thing Starlight did, yes, but they would thing pale in comparison in sheer scummy-ness.
I mean, maybe the brainwashing thing could top that, but you didn’t reffer to that, so…

So you have less of an argument then you initially thought. Unsurprising.

Did she overreact due to her need for revenge? Most certainly. That is one of Starlight defining characteristics, Overreacting.

You label it as something as innocent as “overreaction” when any rational person would label it as EVIL. The more you try to defend Starlight in such an obvious manor, the more your argument for demonizing a child still in her development phases falls completely by the wayside.

I though that it was because she realize the the mistake she made due to a lie she beheld stubbornly, as it’s never suggested that the reason she was horrified of that future was because of what she did, and not what happened to her and her path, especifically.

That’s 100 percent incorrect and you DO already know it. While it is true she denied her own beheld truths at the END, it was only after she was shown the apocalypse that all her confidence in her ideals fell completely apart, she went in full denial mode, tried to show her past to justify herself, but it didn’t hold together.

Going back into the past and facing the truth (and the bad writing) was only the finishing blow, the actual thing that crushed her confidence was the apocalypse.

However, Starlight herself was not aware of the unfairly large scale that the consequences of her actions had

From a moral perspective, that was only there to push her morality into a corner where the only option was to either embrace Twilight’s perspective or be okay with being a nihilistic world murderer. That’s a BIIIIIG range if you hadn’t noticed.

She was absolutely fine destroying things precious to Twilight, her bonds, her past, everything. She LOVED the idea of doing it. She literally couldn’t have been more self-pleased enacting her evil deeds towards Twilight.

There is also nothing in that episode that explicitly say that she knew what she was doing to Twilight other than hurting her heart,

We STILL have a word for that. Its still called EVIL. Nothing compared to her (at the time) unrepentant kidnapping, unrepentant forced conditioning, and unrepentant personal past tampering, but you get the point by now.

No, I don’t, because that was never explicitly shown.

It doesn’t NEED to be explicitly shown to you because its obvious to ANYONE. No one who has their entire world view uprooted with nothing left in such an extreme manor with have the same confidence as before. That would literally be impossible.

Did you seriously just say you needed that tidbit to be shown to you explicitly? They sky is blue by the way.

Problem is, nothing in the show suggests that Cozy is like any other child her age

Except, y’know, HER AGE. You are separating Cozy from other children just because of her affinity for intelligent evil, when the fact that she’s the same age as her peers remains unchanged, the fact that she is still in her formulative years remains unchanged. Do you like ignoring facts?

We didn’t exactly have a high opinion of Diamond Tiara when she decided to go after Scootaloo being a cripple did we? While Diamond Tiara never had a talent for supervillainy, to say Cozy was nothing like any other child is a bit of an exaggeration.

A “time terrorist” who already gave up and was accepting of any type of punishment

..Only after realizing all her current actions leads to a no win apocalypse. Her entire worldview was completely destroyed. Such a thing never happened to Cozy, and for all the authorities of Equestria would now(hypothetically, since Pinkie admitted to Maud they hid her crimes from most people), Starlight could easily relapse into her old habits. Its why we have punishments for adults who commit crimes. We don’t have fortune teller balls that tell us if a terrorist will never commit a crime again.

Doesn’t exactly seems and sounds like someone who is not unaware of what they’re doing entails, orwilling to undergo any type of therapy or redemption. In fact, it sounds like something Chrysalis would do if she cared who Fluttershy was. Also be aware that Cozy has No Reason to mock her like this. But who knows, that’s just me.

And that’s the whole problem. It IS just you. The ability for sadism as a child does not guarantee one could not receive and grow from well done therapy. You are making the braindead assumption that she is “PURE EVIL” and that in no possible timeline could she have been given proper treatment and received some redemption.

You are SO fixated on the idea that she couldn’t turn out any other way its become a derangement symptom for you.

Cozy herself makes it hard due to who she is and how hostile she was being.

Hard? Sure. No redemption is easy But you keep on presenting it as a foregone conclusion that its impossible.

That is… The most ridiculous thing I ever read you say.

Are you sure about that? Creepy Evil Kids are so utilized as ‘embodiments of all evil” they are a very well known trope. Evil kids are a huge part of horror and villain history. Darla from Cats Don’t Dance is just one example. But we aren’t talking about the ease to villainize them in a cartoonish sense, we are talking about whether her reformation could of been handled if it wasn’t for the many lazy missteps.

How horrible that time terromism actually isn’t clear because the show doesn’t explicitly show what happened to them.

THAT is one of the most stupid things I’ve ever read. Your creating entire timelines where your past and connections are completely stolen from you even if you don’t start an apocalypse. Everything you’ve built in your life is either warped or gone if your stuck there. Of course its evil.
CronoM

@Mildgyth  
You seem to be extremely confused.

I never stated that Cozy’s reformation was assured. My argument is that better attempts could of been made for her and easily could have delivered some progress in reformation. What happened to those kids does not apply to every evil kid. Your idea to bring up examples in such a manor that didn’t fit our conversation at all is baffling. The fact remains that children are more likely to drastically change when compared to adults. Those example kids are the exceptions, not the rule.
Egil
Non-Fungible Trixie -

screaming forever
@CronoM  
Except no one in Equestria wanted Cozy, Tirek, or Chrysalis around. No one missed them either once they were turned to stone. Nothing of value was lost after how ever many years during the finale. You just can’t handle the fact there are irredeemably evil little shits out there not worth reaching as they don’t want to be helped and are perfectly fine fucking up the lives of innocent people. Also the insults pretty much make your argument less of one and more of sky screaming lunacy.
Terminal Rex

Going Indognito mode..
@Egil  
I think he understands they were irredeemable bastards and probably got what they deserve. What he takes issue with is starlight was practically rewarded for her deeds while Cozy, a child, albeit an evil one, was sentenced as starlight should have been.

It is a bit myopic looking at it from a meta viewpoint. I understand the logic the characters use to justify the disparity between how they were treated, but It still feels weird.

This is a world where a grown ass kidnapping time terrorist cult leader is given a room and a job by her would be victim the next day, but a child who did things just as bad is sentenced to perhaps millinia long petrification, and the only thing separating the two is one said “sorry”.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide