Unpopular opinion time

RogueBadnik
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

⌜Ω⌟
@E-123
the ponies. 100%. their carelessness, selfishness, short-sightedness, and greed has directly or indirectly caused every single conflict in that series.

I wonder how the goverment would react to this. The magic was restrained to only the school and close areas (third movie and shorts)… then it reached the outskirts of the city (Everfree forest). According to that recent special where they travel in a luxury ship, the Equestrian Magic has reached parts of the world that are far beyond the entire country.

It is almost like the Resonance Cascade from Half Life…. and that is very bad news
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Latecomer  
The pony world is more mundane in that regard really. Because pony world influences EQG but not the other way around, it tends to be crazier as a result.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Latecomer  
I haven’t watched any shorts. But really I don’t care about canon, I just mean the universe itself. I mean it was used as a dumping ground for dangerous sirens and a magical rock so that’s stupid enough.
Spinny
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

Resident Spin Fetishist
@LightningBolt

Eh, no. EG is flat-out inconsistent and ridiculous.

What irritates me about it the most is that there is absolutely no consistent basis for how magic functions in that world. The same magic by which the humane seven powers up can grant a dog permanent sentience, can enchant random objects that can be used for sinister purposes, can transform ordinary girls into demons, and can cause time loops (FUCKING WHAT?!?!?!?).

That’s on top of the obvious time discrepancy between the two worlds which becomes more and more confusing every time Equestria is involved in EG stories.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
@Mildgyth  
Damn, that would’ve been awesome.

My point (and I know this topic is behind us) is that brony music back then was so homogenous and mostly consisted of two genres that it suffered from a lack of variety. I have no problem with EDM and metal, even though I prefer the former, but I find it stupid that considering that this is a pretty creative fandom, I expected other genres in brony music for variety, but sadly the fandom stuck on its doldrums which means that brony music fell victim of Sturgeon’s Law where almost all of it was crap or forgettable because all of it was the same.
Terminal Rex

Going Indognito mode..
@Spinny  
Well, most magic is foreign to the EQG universe right? And like Twilights crown, Equestrian magic will behave erratically and be prone to malfunction  
When used in a foreign universe.

That’s one way of explaining the random nature of magic in EQG.
Background Pony #6AF2
Eh, no. EG is flat-out inconsistent and ridiculous.
What irritates me about it the most is that there is absolutely no consistent basis for how magic functions in that world. The same magic by which the humane seven powers up can grant a dog permanent sentience, can enchant random objects that can be used for sinister purposes, can transform ordinary girls into demons, and can cause time loops (FUCKING WHAT?!?!?!?).
Except most if not all of those things have occurred in Equstria too. Time loops included. It just looks less strange and inconsistent there because magic is so prevalent, and ponies are already accustomed to using that magic to do stuff. No one native to the human dimension has that familiarity or understanding, so it stands to reason their control over this energy (that we also know can get a bit weird when strong emotions are involved) is inconsistent. They are amateurs flailing around with a kind of power that is entirely foreign to them.

And don’t forget, the opposite is kind of true as well. Everfree Forest was originally introduced as a strange and terrifying place in part because it didn’t require pony magic grow and have weather. You’d have to be pretty accustomed to magic naturally being everywhere to find its absence so frightening.
One Trick
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

Fantastic Time Waster
@Latecomer  
Late response, but… Struggling with their elements vs. old habits is one thing, but in for example the episode with “The Pony Everypony Should Know”, Rarity learns precisely nothing because everything works out despite her actions, not because of them. Plus, in most early cases where she is given the opportunity to be selfish, she chooses exactly that. It’s just… A bit too obvious is my thing. The premise is that she’s the element of Generosity, she’s the prime example of it, but she’s not showing it at all. What does that imply about everyone else?

Of course, it’s possible that the idea is these mares had the highest potential for their given element, but Fluttershy, Applejack and Pinkie were clearly extreme examples of their elements to start with. (Dash too but her arrogance early on kinda clashed which made for a few good moments, even if she’s not at all my favorite.)

Alright I need to stop ranting when I barely remember most of these episodes after such a long time.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@One Trick

That episode was about Rarity running herself ragged trying to fulfill her selfishness. When it came to a head she still ended up siding with her Podunk friends over the lavish lifestyle she models herself after.
GenericArchangel
Alicorn Squadron - For supporting the site
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter

Free the Tantabus
I really liked “Sweet and Elite”, it was the episode that actually got me to like Rarity instead of seeing her as a self-absorbed drama queen.
Latecomer

Never disliked her, but I suppose Suited for Success was when I loved her.

And a lot of her greed makes more sense if you assume that philanthropy is more widespread in Equestria and “trickle-down” actually works somewhat. (Hey, it is a utopian fantasy.) So while she’ll certainly enjoy a life of luxury, far more money will be going to good causes.
Spinny
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Resident Spin Fetishist
@Mr grump

Yeah, I’m not really a fan of the “magic is foreign to the human world and therefore it does anything” theory. Because as it stands, magic is simply a little more than a plot device.

@GenericArchangel

I’ll never forgive that episode for excluding Spike. Given how he was often treated in the earlier seasons, I can’t help but feel that this image is canon:

Latecomer

magic is simply a little more than a plot device
Well, yes.

And do you really think Twilight and her friends (as opposed to the writers) would overlook Spike so easily?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide