Viewing last 25 versions of post by 🐴 in topic The Kirin Fan Thread

🐴
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
[@Speedwings](/forums/pony/topics/the-kirin-fan-thread?post_id=5216085#post_5216085)
Good catch, I didn't even think of that.

I'm making a table for nomenclature. Will edit this post as more suggestions pour in.

| Species | Female | Male |
| ------------ |--------------:| -------------|
| Pony | Mare | Stallion |
| Dragon | | Drake |
| Deer (modern) | Doe | Buck |
| Large cervid | Cow | Bull |
| Deer (archaic) | Hind | Hart |
| | | Stag |
| Juvenile | Filly | Colt |

Does any Markdown master know how to make this table restrict itself to fit the text instead of spanning the entire comment column width?

Back on topic, I like the _sound_ of saying "Doe/Drake" but that may be significantly less consistent with the rest of the HC lore I just dumped as another option.

[@PUBLIQclopAccountant](/forums/pony/topics/the-kirin-fan-thread?post_id=5216040#post_5216040)
A few more things I thought of last night after I went to bed.

# 5. Kirin Atavism in Unicorns

^(this could've been a long digression in point 1, but I digress)^

Due to the ancient ancestry of the unicorn being of the union of kirin and (earth)pony, unicorns rarely will take the appearance of a classical unicorn with at least one of the following physical attributes:
* Curvier horn
* Leonine tail
* Split hooves
* Massive bursty magic throughput

Unicorn mares affected by any one of these conditions have a 50/50 chance of being infertile. Stallion fertility is unaffected. Likelihood of infertility is not correlated with how many of the attributes she has.

For a foal to be at risk of this condition, both parents **must** be unicorns. However, the risk does not rise above negligible until at least 14/16 great-great-grandparents are unicorns.

The distinctive look and busty magic makes unicorns with this condition popular as shock troops and unsuitable for tasks requiring the steady application of medium-strength magic.

# 6. Interactions with Humans

In an established HiE setting (a.k.a. not a first contact story where these lessons are learned the hard way), kirin+human romance is forbidden for the protection of humans, who are every bit as notoriously weak to fire as changelings. In fact, humans are even weaker than changelings because more or less all kinds of magical fire burn them equally as bad as physical fire. Changelings resist or are outright immune to several varieties of magical fire (one of which they use to change form).

Equestria's ponies use their coats as light fire protection just the same as IRL horses. They can take singed ends of their fur to run through an advancing flamefront of a wildfire to reach the safety of the burned-out side where there is no fuel left for the fire to spread to. Humans don't have that option (unless they dress specifically for that occasion). A zero-magic changeling test is to singe a pony's coat with a torch: enough to light a few hairs but not enough to burn the skin. If they're a pony, it'll smolder and extinguish quickly. Disguised changelings ||burn to ash because the fire spreads throughout the coat||. ||It's a huge mess to clean up, so the practice|| largely stopped long before it was considered taboo for being barbaric.
Reason: add term for young kirins to table
Edited by 🐴