The G1 Appreciation Thread

Frustration in Excelsis
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Artist -
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac -

Worldbuilding Addict
So, I’d have a question. I have never actually watched G1 beyond the first two shorts – which I found in multiple disconnected parts on Youtube – and I was thinking of watching my way through the rest of it to while away the wait until G5 eventually comes along. Does anyone know where I can actually find it? It’s not on Netflix like the G4 cartoon is, I know that much, but beyond that I don’t know if there are any sites that would host it.
Frustration in Excelsis
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Artist -
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac -

Worldbuilding Addict
So, I got around to starting up with the G1 show. I got through the first two specials, couldn’t find the movie itself (well, I did find a version of it, but it was in Russian or something similar, so that didn’t much help), and just finished up with “The End of Flutter Valley”.

At least so far, I have to say it’s pretty good. Genuinely so. The stories are interesting, the characters fun, the villains either genuinely chilling or pleasantly amusing, and the backgrounds to die for.

Scorpan and Rep were easily my favorite parts of their specials. They’re very nicely nuanced characters.

Gusty is a bitch. I really like her.

It’s interesting to note that the tradition of offering a hoof in friendship to anyone who looks slightly redeemable is something of a franchise tradition – so far I’m counting Scorpan, Catrina and Rep, and Queen Bumble among the villains who got at least talked into ending hostilities.

I like how this show doesn’t fall into the trap of ugly=bad that Friendship is Magic did. Scorpan and the stonebacks being cases in point – they look entirely monstrous, but are both genuinely decent underneath.

While I’m aware that “The End of Flutter Valley” is a definite outlier in terms of total length, I think it easily proves the idea that Friendship is Magic would have benefited from more stretched-out premieres and finales. A lot of those episodes really felt like they could’ve used a three-part setup, and the way G1 here gives itself time to work things out over multiple episodes’ worth of runtime really helps sell its own stories.

EDIT: Watched the next two episodes. Squirk was a delightful villain – I loved how expressive his design is – and Crank’s constant abuse was definitely good slapstick. Pluma was terribly endearing as well – her hesitant stammering came across quite nicely form me. The look Megan gives Squirk when she’s about to flush him away was also pretty memorable. I know the fandom generally tends to overemphasize both shows’ hardcore moments, but that was stone. Cold.

The gizmonk episode wasn’t as memorable, but it was funny enough for what it was. The trope where the villains beg the heroes to take their captives back at the end of the episode is always good for a chuckle.

I will say that I don’t really care for Molly and Danny too much so far, to be frank.
Pinto Bean
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

refried sans lard
While I’m aware that “The End of Flutter Valley” is a definite outlier in terms of total length, I think it easily proves the idea that Friendship is Magic would have benefited from more stretched-out premieres and finales. A lot of those episodes really felt like they could’ve used a three-part setup, and the way G1 here gives itself time to work things out over multiple episodes’ worth of runtime really helps sell its own stories.

Hello friend. I think you bring up a great point about G1 and the fact that the storytelling didn’t necessarily conform to a specific block of time. In G1 there were stories like “The End of Flutter Valley” that played out over multiple 15 minute blocks (10 to be exact) and other stories like “Sweet Stuff and the Treasure Hunt” that played out over a single 15 minute block but were just as comprehensive as the former.

Although personally I loved that FiM’s storytelling was expanded over full 30 minute blocks (or sometimes two), it wasn’t in my mind a prerequisite. Some stories from FiM probably could have been better executed over a shorter span of time while others could have been been more elaborate/expanded. Some stories are best kept short and sweet while others can and should be epic.

And then sometimes, all you need is a few seconds to get the jest. Like seeing Sweet Stuff rolling around in the grass, enjoying herself.

Background Pony #6F8A
@Frustration in Excelsis  
The one thing I always liked about the Gizmonk episode was a throwaway line about a musical instrument called an “entwhistle”.A shout-out to Who bassist John Entwhistle?
Pinto Bean
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

refried sans lard
Hello friends. It’s been a while, but I thought I’d finally share with you a funny little thing that has happened to me over the past few years.

So we all know that when it comes to cute, there are few things more extreme than ponies. Well, guess what? Baby ponies are even cuter…

Yep.

I’m not exactly sure when it started, but I’ve been using the term “baby pony!” as an exclamation. For example, when I eat something really spicy, or when I see a rainbow, or sometimes even when I accidentally hurt myself…

As weird as it may seem, it has stuck with me, and has helped me cut back on the ol’ foul mouth…

I totally think this should be a thing. #babypony!
Background Pony #EEDC
I want there to exist a mlp discord server that isn’t just focused on G4. I’d also like to talk about G1/.5 or something.
Ranch
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Dragonball Girlfriends
I really wish G4 wasn’t so cheap sometimes. I feel like the animators couldn’t be bothered to animate creatures that didn’t use the pony base. So basically anything that runs on 4 legs.

I’d have loved to see Pluma or something akin to a troll or a grundle. Or hell even see the diamond dogs one more time.

Also no Abyssinian in the last 2 seasons…so lame.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide