The Equestria Girls General Thread

skilledful

@Flutter_Lover  
Winx Club had one chance with World of Winx.Maybe Equestria Girls 13 episodes that ties off most major plot threads, but leaves enough dangling to make it easy to carry on if the show is renewed.
ApplejackFan204
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

Awesome dude
Here’s a movie idea based on the upcoming Sing 2 movie called Equestria Girls: Big Stage Show

The Rainbooms (plus Spike and Granny Smith) head to the glamorous city of Follywood City to put their band on a worldwide scale. However, they must endure a ruthless business mogul named Mucho Caliente, CEO of Mucho Entertainment. When Pinkie pitches the ludicrous idea of putting on a stage show featuring a reclusive rock star legend Stardust Moon, he agrees, but only if they can get him to perform. Now the Rainbooms must put on the biggest show of their lives while contending with Caliente’s spoiled daughter, street dancers, and their own inner demons as well.

Featuring the voice talents of:  
Tara Strong as Twilight Sparkle, the smart vocalist of the Rainbooms

Rebecca Shoichet as Sunset Shimmer, the level headed rhythm guitarist and de facto leader of the Rainbooms

Ashleigh Ball as Applejack, the hard working bassist of the Rainbooms; and Rainbow Dash, the sporty lead guitarist and self proclaimed leader of the Rainbooms

Andrea Libman and Pinkie Pie, the hyperactive drummer of the Rainbooms and Fluttershy, the soft spoken, animal loving tambourine player of the Rainbooms

Tabitha St. Germaine: Rarity, the high fashioned keytarist of the Rainbooms and Granny Smith, the Rainbooms’ roadie and Applejack’s Grandmother

Cathy Weseluck as Spike: A talking dog who is Twilight’s pet and the Rainbooms’ mascot.

Celebrity guest voices are:  
George Lopez as Mucho Caliente: a ruthless CEO of Mucho Entertainment and possibly a gangster

Sarah Nicole Robles as Princesa Caliente: the talented, but spoiled and self centered daughter of Mucho Caliente

Estelle: as Groovy Beats: A street dancer who helps Applejack with her choreography

Leslie Odom Jr. as Smooth Move: Groovy’s hypeman, dance partner, and boyfriend

Patrick Stump as Pawberry: A shy dogwalker who can sing and is Fluttershy’s love interest

Ben Schwartz as Spotlight: a self important egomaniac who is cast as Fluttershy’s partner in a duet

Vella Lovell as Nutmeg, Mucho’s dry and sarcastic assistant and talent scout

Josh Gad as Brown Nose: Mucho’s other assistant who is out of shape and also gets no respect from his boss

Sting as Stardust Moon: the grouchy and reclusive rock star legend who locked himself away from the world after his wife’s death

They sound similar, but I think it could be a great idea.
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Yesterday I rewatched Rainbow Rocks. It’s my second viewing (the first one was back in January 2015).

It has a lot of interesting ideas that would make a great film. However, don’t you think that the film wasn’t focused enough on Sunset Shimmer? I think her redemption arc was more interesting than the music band plot, but the most they can do was mentioning Sunset’s past and then say “oops, no offense”. I kinda wanted to see that progression on her character arc. The more I think of Sunset’s story, the more pointless the villains are to me.

Because of that, I think the first and fourth film are a little bit better.
Latecomer

@Ring Team  
Sunset having an important role was apparently decided only at the last minute. But I think it works - focusing on it to the exclusion of the other characters would have made the movie worse IMO.
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

World's Okayest User
Apparently Rebecca Shoichet lobbied for Sunset to return in Rainbow Rock. Evidently it was the right choice since she would up becoming one of the most popular characters of G4
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Latecomer  
Sunset was gonna get more spotlight in the third film but got a reduced role to focus on Sci-Twi. Seems last minute changes were a common thing early on.
Ring Team
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

I think Rainbow Rocks would have become my favourite EG film if:

-The main plot was about Sunset Shimmer dealing with all the highschool hating her because of her actions.  
-The soundtrack had more songs like “friendship through the ages” instead of forgettable pop songs.  
-The soundteack had some rock songs. After all, the film is called Rainbow Rocks.  
-The jokes were actually funny.  
-Rainbow Dash wasn’t THAT mean and selfish.  
-The film didn’t have any villains.
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

World's Okayest User
-The film didn’t have any villains.

What kind of boneheaded take is this? The Dazzlings were easily the best part of the movie and some of the best villains in G4. Taking them out would kill half the reason people like the movie
Ring Team
Artist -

@Hali the Emoji girl  
About the songs, maybe it’s me, but most of them have the same vibes of basically any pop song from any decade, including the “OH WOWOWOW” part. It’s not unique, it’s derivative. It doesn’t feel memorable. I think the songs would have been better if they sounded with a bigger variety of instruments and approaches. Kinda like “Friendship through the ages” (which wasn’t from the movie, but from a short) or the songs from the MLP movie.

Back in 2015, the only song I liked was “Under your spell”, because it sounded different in comparison to the Rainbow Rocks soundtrack. Nowadays I think it’s a song that’s too similar to “Battle”, the song the Dazzlings sing for the first time in that highschool.

About the jokes, I see two problems. Either they are predictable or too harmless or use some comedic elements as the whole joke. There was a part in the practice scene where Pinkie Pie says “isn’t this supposed to be fun?” and then she uses the drums to make a “badum tss” sound effect. But the point of that sound effect is to point out a pun. Kinda like Undertale or a scene from an Asterix comic.

And about the villains, I know people like the Dazzlings (or the sirens), but the only dynamic these characters have is them telling at each other “you’re the worst” and “no, you’re the worst”, and they repeat that during the entire film. If you want to write an antagonist, make sure he or she is meaningful for the story. Toy Story 2’s villain is a villain because he doesn’t support Woody’s final decision and he forces everyone to go with his ultimate plan. That makes sense. Here, although you can work with the Dazzlings dominating everyone with their magical stones, I wish the characters were more different to each other, especially the dialogue.

All I’m saying is, repeating many times “you’re the worst” and “no, you’re the worst” is not enough.

And I know people like the concept of films having villains, but it’s not strictly necessary for a story. Finding Dory doesn’t have a villain and it’s a good film. Inside Out doesn’t have a villain and it’s one of the most important Pixar films ever.

It’s not that big of a deal to me because I think the EG films are basically an alternative content for the people who are either very little kids or fans of the show who wanted more things related to MLP apart from the show.
Background Pony #D17C
The Dazzlings were THE best villains and RR was THE best episode in all of gen4, imho.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Ring Team  
If you remove the villains then the plot would be Sunset trying to convince the school she’s reformed. Certainly an interesting premise but they did that plot three times, RR included, and haven’t been able to write it without an antagonist.

The film had a limited runtime and with seven protagonists, the antagonists only had enough time to be shown as a group. A lot of short hand was used, especially if you’re familiar with the Freudian Trio trope, that gave them distinct personalities. The banter was definitely subpar, though.

I think they were fairly competent overall, though. They, or Adagio at least, demonstrated an ability to plan, adapt and compensate for anything that was thrown at them. Hell, they almost won!

The music was mostly harmless and, while a bit generic, did its job and can be quite the earworm.

As for the jokes, the Pinkie drum bit is the only one I remember. I’m a fan of puns. For a general audience film, I didn’t expect much.

Overall, okay movie. I prefer the Forgotten Friendship special, personally.
Background Pony #C6A7
@Hali the Emoji girl
About the songs, maybe it’s me, but most of them have the same vibes of basically any pop song from any decade, including the “OH WOWOWOW” part. It’s not unique, it’s derivative. It doesn’t feel memorable. I think the songs would have been better if they sounded with a bigger variety of instruments and approaches. Kinda like “Friendship through the ages” (which wasn’t from the movie, but from a short) or the songs from the MLP movie.
Back in 2015, the only song I liked was “Under your spell”, because it sounded different in comparison to the Rainbow Rocks soundtrack. Nowadays I think it’s a song that’s too similar to “Battle”, the song the Dazzlings sing for the first time in that highschool.
About the jokes, I see two problems. Either they are predictable or too harmless or use some comedic elements as the whole joke. There was a part in the practice scene where Pinkie Pie says “isn’t this supposed to be fun?” and then she uses the drums to make a “badum tss” sound effect. But the point of that sound effect is to point out a pun. Kinda like Undertale or a scene from an Asterix comic.
And about the villains, I know people like the Dazzlings (or the sirens), but the only dynamic these characters have is them telling at each other “you’re the worst” and “no, you’re the worst”, and they repeat that during the entire film. If you want to write an antagonist, make sure he or she is meaningful for the story. Toy Story 2’s villain is a villain because he doesn’t support Woody’s final decision and he forces everyone to go with his ultimate plan. That makes sense. Here, although you can work with the Dazzlings dominating everyone with their magical stones, I wish the characters were more different to each other, especially the dialogue.
All I’m saying is, repeating many times “you’re the worst” and “no, you’re the worst” is not enough.
And I know people like the concept of films having villains, but it’s not strictly necessary for a story. Finding Dory doesn’t have a villain and it’s a good film. Inside Out doesn’t have a villain and it’s one of the most important Pixar films ever.
It’s not that big of a deal to me because I think the EG films are basically an alternative content for the people who are either very little kids or fans of the show who wanted more things related to MLP apart from the show.

Even Ralph breaks the internet and Frozen 2 didn’t have real villains, but they’re still enjoyable movies.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide