Starlight Glimmer- What is the opinion of her still?

Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

@Background Pony #E699

But the way she goes about convincing Sunburst to play a board game is still extremely manipulative. If Starlight actually care about what Sunburst thinks (this is supposed to be her best friend), she would listen to him, instead of making all things about her.
Background Pony #E699
@Ring Team

But that’s her character flaw. All of the characters have been shitty to their best friends at one time or another in this show. They’ve ignored the advice or concerns of their friends and barelled on ahead with whatever bad idea they have this week plenty of times. And few of them have the excuse of being a former villain with a lifetime of not knowing how friendship works under their saddles.

If all Starlight cared about was playing this game with her childhood friend, don’t you think she could’ve easily mind controlled him to be ok with being turned into a kid? But she doesn’t. She lets him go as soon as he’s firm with her.
Ring Team
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

@Background Pony #E699

I’m not saying Starlight should never show weaknesses or emotions, because that would be silly. A character without human flaws is a bad character. But the specific weaknesses she’s given here and their place in the story don’t sync up with the rest of her character.
Ring Team
Artist -

@Star Seeker

But her attitude during later seasons completely invalidates that scene.

She forced Big Macintosh with magic to talk to her with quotes like “I can’t be friends with somepony who doesn’t talk”.

full

She mind controlled Twilight’s friends and didn’t see anything wrong with it until told otherwise by Twilight.

full

Forcibly swapped the cutie marks of Celestia and Luna without their consent.

full

She met Maud Pie and said that that she likes rocks because they don’t judge you… despite what she has done in the past.

full

She also doesn’t empathise with Rarity and her hair issue. Does she have a problem? I don’t care, as long as it’s not mine. According to Starlight, Hell is other people.

full

She used time travel spells and transformed her best friend into a child, ignoring all his objections.

full

Starlight basically encouraged Twilight to reopen her new school that was shut down for valid reasons.

full

She told Twilight in a condescending way that she’s not a princess-princess.

full

She blasted Discord to kingdom come for heckling her.

full

Despite considering Trixie one of her best friends, she traded away her home without her consent and gets angry at her for being upset about it.

full

And speaking about Trixie, despite considering her and Sunburst her two best friends, she constantly ignored not only Trixie, but also her goal to properly prepare a party for Sunburst.

full

Like I said, I like redemption stories, but you have to earn it. When you have a character that receives a second chance to redeem herself ended up doing stuff like this, it completely invalidates Cutie re-mark.
Star Seeker

Annoying fan has arrived
@Ring Team  
You just keep saying the same thing we and others aren’t talked about with you in this and the unpopular opinions threads, it’s like you don’t listen…
Ring Team
Artist -

@Star Seeker

Or you just make the discussion get off track.

If you wanna talk about Starlight, that’s fine. But if you end up saying things like “you don’t listen” or “you don’t get it” or any other condescendent response to any people who don’t find Starlight really that interesting, then stop.
Star Seeker

Annoying fan has arrived
She forced Big Macintosh with magic to talk to her with quotes like “I can’t be friends with somepony who doesn’t talk”.

First of all, Starlight isn’t the only character, reformed villain or not, that uses magic on other ponies when things don’t go their way. And in this scene, Starlight was not being malicious, the quote you made show she didn’t understand what was wrong with her action, which demonstrates degree of innocence on her part. She used magic against Mac’s will? yes, and she was scolded for doing so. She made a mistake, let it go already.  
She mind controlled Twilight’s friends and didn’t see anything wrong with it until told otherwise by Twilight.

Which, again, shows thinking things through isn’t her strongest forte.

My guy, I get it. ELTSD made you rage on Starlight more than anything else did on this show. Let it go. The reason why you keep complaining about Starlight is because you only think about how she could be seen negatively, and I bet most of that comes because this episode stained you view of her. You don’t like ELTSD L? That’s fine.

There are plenty of people who dislike ELTSD and still ended up liking Starlight as the show went on. The only reason you don’t is because the thought that Starlight episodes invalidate or are contradictory with what came before is completely ingrained into you head. Can’t you try at least try to think things through another perspective before you start claiming things like “This invalidates that” or “This show she forgot her lessons”?  
Forcibly swapped the cutie marks of Celestia and Luna without their consent

• The two were fighting and ignoring Starlight, and probably making her nervous since she came there to prevent the two from fighting.  
  • I’m this case specifically, switching them was a valid, if hasty, option.  
  • Let’s make another thing clear, just because a character breaks their habit (in this case, not thinking things through) once, doesn’t mean they will continue that trend. Starlight overreacts and doesn’t understand the full consequences of the things she does unless they are written on her face, those are her character flaws, and they neither invalidate the lessons she learned or contradict her reformation.  
She met Maud Pie and said that that she likes rocks because they don’t judge you… despite what she has done in the past.

You’re just taking that as a direct attack on people that criticize Starlight. It’s not. It’s Starlight showing she is self-conscious about what she did.

Let me repeat this: no one likes to be judged, even if deserved. This doesn’t mean Starlight doesn’t understand what she did in the past was wrong, just that she doesn’t like the feeling.  
She also doesn’t empathise with Rarity and her hair issue. Does she have a problem? I don’t care, as long as it’s not mine. According to Starlight, Hell is other people.

And in that episode, neither did the Mane Six or Spike, at least not fully. What they care about is Rarity herself, not her mane.

This again show Starlight’s lack of understanding of others. She’s not being malicious, just ignorant, which she tends to be.

Also this “Hell is other people” in this show specifically is true for at lot of characters, not just Starlight, but not because they hate other people, but because interacting with them is exhausting, which I completely agree with on a personal level.  
She used time travel spells and transformed her best friend into a child, ignoring all his objections.

Like the BP you were talking to said, he didn’t object, he was impressed, then when he started getting overwhelmed, yelled at Starlight, who immediately stopped the spell

Starlight basically encouraged Twilight to reopen her new school that was shut down for valid reasons.

Your opinion of the school is irrelevant to your opinion of Starlight. The fact of the matter is, the episode treats the school closing as a bad thing, not Starlight specifically.  
She told Twilight in a condescending way that she’s not a princess-princess.

Which is true in this season, and sounds like something Rainbow would say to Twilight. Don’t see the problem here.  
She blasted Discord to kingdom come for heckling her.

She blasted (e.g. banished) Discord because he was endangering the students (With a giant monster that almost got Yona, I will add).

Why are you treating this like it’s Starlight fault and not Discord? Isn’t that backwards?

Despite considering Trixie one of her best friends, she traded away her home without her consent and gets angry at her for being upset about it.

And she is in the wrong and apologizes in the end. If you’re upset about the mistake itself, Starlight’s didn’t know the wagon had personal significance. Things like this happen even in my family sometimes.  
And speaking about Trixie, despite considering her and Sunburst her two best friends, she constantly ignored not only Trixie, but also her goal to properly prepare a party for Sunburst.

It’s almost like the problem of the episode is about schedules…
Star Seeker

Annoying fan has arrived
Or you just make the discussion get off track.
If you wanna talk about Starlight, that’s fine. But if you end up saying things like “you don’t listen” or “you don’t get it” or any other condescendent response to any people who don’t find Starlight really that interesting, then stop.

I’m keeping the discussion on Starlight, I’m not getting sidetracked.

And you dare talk about being condescending when I’m tried being nice to you last time?

The only person I’m talking to is you and not because you “don’t find Starlight that interesting”, but because it is very clear you hate her and doesn’t mind making stuff up or ignoring critical information to make her look bad.
Ring Team
Artist -

Ok then, so let’s say something different this time.

Over the years the mane 6 got better with some episodes, some seasons and some time. Twilight Sparkle was a geek who didn’t need friends until she was sent to Ponyville to meet some friends. It took her some time and she’s still obsessed with books, but she was eventually more sociable. Fluttershy was only shy and eventually was becoming more assertive, which is a nice evolution. Rarity was too scared of anything that isn’t clean, but she’s more indifferent on getting dirty, as long as it’s about solving a problem. Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie got fewer episodes that made them grow as characters, but it’s still fine. And whenever a character screw things up, the episode shows the consequences of their mistakes, like Putting your hoof down from the season 2.

Compared to the mane 6, Starlight didn’t learn from her mistakes and she still gets away with it. When the mane 6 or any of the reformed villains (like Discord, Luna, Babs Seed and Sunset Shimmer) make a mistake, the episode shows the consequences of these mistakes. When Starlight makes a mistake, nobody can’t even blame her, which not only invalidates her redemption arc, but it also trivializes all the effort the Mane 6 took to learn important things about friendship.

When an episode shows these consequences to the Mane 6 or any of the reformed villains, they would learn from their mistakes and they would take note to not repeat the same scenario. But when you have Starlight makes the same mistakes and she gets away with it without questionning her, when what value does learning from any mistake ever have?

The show talk about the redemption of Starlight… by not changing her for the better. It’s a very stupid method to talk about redemption.

This is not a good learning experience. This is not what MLP:FiM should be.
Background Pony #DC02
Good god, is he still talking nonsense? Even average Starlight fans aren’t this obsessed.
Background Pony #CC23
@Star Seeker  
Thank you comrade Star Seeker for clearing things up, you are indeed right, I feel like Ring Team is exposing more of Starlight-Hating side more lately, let’s send Starlight’s haters to gulag.

@Ring Team

Ahem, this thread still, is a place for this, but still, it is not healthy to keep making her look bad, get over it already, for example, I dislike Flash Sentry but I still never dared to make him look worse because he is just an average boring character that should be ignored completely for me and filter out.
Ring Team
Artist -

By the way, don’t tell me to let go the Starlight problem, because by that logic we should stop talking about MLP because it’s a 2010 tv show.
Background Pony #E699
@Ring Team

I mean, there are lots of people who genuinely think that Starlight did get better as the seasons went on. She never stopped having flaws, but as has been said, she never did anything AS bad as ELTSD ever again. You put a stray line to Twilight or Rarity in the same category as her worst actions

I could understand the position that she didn’t change ENOUGH. But at all? She went from choosing to Mind control her friends while not even realizing that she was doing anything wrong until it was spelled out for her to making mistakes and realizing her folly by herself. Like, I would honestly call that progress.
Background Pony #CC23
@Background Pony #DC02  
You know what, we should all ignore him, he’ll lose interest in Starlight, but if it reaches the point of abusing the site functionally (spamming hate on her for example, which violates Rule #6), report mods.
Background Pony #E699
Also, am I forgetting an episode. When does Starlight use time travel spells? The spell she used on Sunburst seemed to be either an age spell or an illusion spell. I didn’t get the sense that she time traveled at all.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide