Starlight Glimmer- What is the opinion of her still?

Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
@That Little Faggot with the Earring and the Makeup  
God, never underestimate her. Chrysalis is the Cersei Lannister of MLP villains. She’s not that physically threatening, she’s not that smart, any attempt at charisma or manipulation is undone by the fact that she’s a massively unnecessary bitch at all times, and she is completely ignorant of all her flaws.

…and like Cersei she’s repeatedly proven wildly successful against all odds.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Chrysalis is easy to hate, it’s why she’s a great villain.

Indeed.

Her lack of self awareness is astounding. The number of times Tirek had to shoot down suicidal plays from her psychopathic ass makes me wonder how she lasted so long.

Equestria was probably when she met her match, after however long she’s spent ravaging other lands for her benefit and pleasure, and even then, she could’ve won under some circumstances.

She’s wont to be complacent, whether she neglects to pretend to possess kindness at least half the time (“Crackle Cosette”/Shutter Bug being a case where she improved for the most part [save blowing off Starlight]), or she completely fails to tell her minions about a pony named “Starlight Glimmer,” despite her being Twilight’s pupil, and Chrysalis knowing about that (per her dialogue), on top of deciding not to replace her, and her minions not being great impersonators overall anyway. (You can tell by their dialogue none of them knew Starlight’s name… and the less said about how “Spike” and “Rainbow Dash” acted, the better, lol)

Mean Twilight was interesting in that she was an idealized version of Chrysalis with more self-awareness and self control, and true to form, the personified vices in the form of the other five got her killed, just as Chrysalis is her own worst enemy.

Ultimately, one of the defining differences between Starlight and Chrysalis is that the former can acknowledge and learn from her mistakes.

@Philweasel

Her greatest virtue is determination. Arguably even more so than the other villains. I suspect it might be easier to break either Tirek or Cozy Glow’s spirit, than hers.

(Also she has a bit of luck on her side as well)

Unwavering determination and ambition are, in and of themselves, a very dangerous thing to be up against, and Chrysalis is no exception. The most plausible way she’d truly give up is if she’s dead, and maybe not even then.

(I think she’s like the Mojo Jojo of MLP in some ways: had an army she lost, doesn’t think everything through, intelligent, a very persistent antagonist, credible threat, created evil knockoffs, is sadistic [albeit Mojo less so], has style up the wazoo, not stellar at learning from mistakes… although I think Mojo Jojo is arguably a better manipulator than her [it says something that he seems to understand the Girls’ mindsets significantly more than Him, who’s all-too-often surprised that anger and fear wasn’t enough]; in the end, they’re both definitely on my “favorites” list regarding villains, and perhaps it would be an interesting idea, seeing them interact)
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

I’m recently watching Rock Solid Friendship and I had to stop it after some certain dialogue.

“Another reason I like rocks – they don’t exclude you if you’re… different than other ponies.”  
“They’re beautiful and strong, but they don’t judge you or make you feel less than in any way. I think I’m starting to like rocks, too.”

Starlight has no right to say that, especially after this…

full

and this.

full
Ring Team
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

@Background Pony #DC02  
Considering the events from seasons 5 and 6, I think she doesn’t deserve the right to say something like that. She did pretty obviously bad stuff, including manipulating towns and trying to destroy the world by time travelling.

By the time the G5 TV show appears, I’d like to see at least some consistency. And for some unusual reason some writer wants to make a modern equivalent of Starlight Glimmer for that new TV show, it needs to be completely revised, in detail.
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Ring Team  
Starlight’s self pitying and whiny, and likes to make excuses for her own ineptitude. That’s like the basis of all her villainy, and it’s good writing that it doesn’t just vanish.
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Philweasel

I think it’s also worth noting she’s at least partially saying that in the context of showing empathy to Maud, that she understands feeling that way.

But yeah, it does tie back into her villainous mindset, or, dare I say, ELTSD.

You’d all still be living your miserable lives thinking you’re better than everypony else if it weren’t for my magical abilities!

Twilight Sparkle: Baking a cake freaks you out?
Starlight Glimmer: Yes! Baking a cake, sewing – all of it! What if I was bad at it? I didn’t want to be a disappointment to anypony, and I ended up being a disappointment to everypony.
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Hakirayleigh

Lol, to be fair, he indirectly enabled Chrysalis’ victory over Celestia, and his shields are impressive. That duo attack with Cadance was top notch, considering how much it accomplished.

…it’s just that he’s up against foes that between them, have been basically stomping towns/cities (Appleloosa, the Wonderbolts + Derpy + Bulk Biceps, Canterlot, and whatever place he first started out at [Manehatten?], as some cloaked creep robbing stallions of their magic, in dark alleys) and growing stronger, even if I headcanon it to not be 100% efficient, a dark magic expert (who didn’t really play fair on either count), or he’s getting mind-raped and exploited for power by a powerful shapeshifter.

Now, if he was approaching the former two scenarios ideally, and how understandable it is if not? Another question.
Pause

World's Smallest Violin
He is but the fandom kinda is/was riding anything that has wing/horn or named Twilight Sparkle so hard they generally don’t care about him.
That Little Faggot with the Earring and the Makeup
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Entry Of The Chameleons
what bummed me out about Glim Glam’s reformation was the that it was immediately followed by a montage of her redeeming herself (including making amends with her ex-adherents and former enemies), like the writers and producers wanted to wrap her arc up in those last few minutes and move on to other ideas they had for the show. what is most probable is, initially, they had no idea what they were going to do with her afterwards or what more the audience wanted from her. then either there was a change in plans, they changed their minds, or both. regardless, this endeared me to the character more than I did before.

unfortunately, this led to a huge schism in the fandom that led to its nadir (generally lasting sometime from late 2015 to early 2018), of which its effects still rear their ugly heads from time to time, and one that this fanbase will never truly recover from.
Dex Stewart
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
I still wonder why Starlight suddenly became a main/recurring character. She eventually finds a place,but I wonder why that happened. I’ve heard the explanation,“Toys”,but Hasbro doesn’t seem to care what the show does,they’ll make whatever toys they want,however they want.  
Just something I’ve been thinking about.
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Dex Stewart  
It was nothing to do with Hasbro. The writers were struggling to find new plots or avenues for development within the current cast, and wanted to create a new cast to keep the franchise fresh.
Dex Stewart
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@Philweasel  
Okay. Kinda weird with such a large cast already they didn’t just expand on them. That was a problem I had later was they introduce new characters but they don’t do a whole lot with them. They’re all nice good characters,just not explored deeply.  
I like that Starlight was a way to bring back and expand on Trixie,she really benefited from being paired with Starlight.
Background Pony #259E
@That Little Faggot with the Earring and the Makeup

I always got the impression that, at least up until Season 6, each season was written as if it could be the last. So showing that Starlight was successfully starting to intergrate was just a way of wrapping things up neatly just in case they were canceled. Then they walked it back a little bit when they did end up with a new season.

It’s happened before. Twilight goes from confidently flying at the end of season 3 to struggling to fly in the season 4 premiere.
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Background Pony #259E

Yeah, regarding S6, to a lesser extent S7, and definitely S8, the show kinda had its sequel hooks going (Chrysalis swearing vengeance, the Pillars being back [even if they didn’t do that much with them], Cozy Glow being cheerful in S8’s ending), whereas with S3, S4, S5, etc… you notice that they did possibly write them as if the show might not get another season.
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
When it comes to Starlight, I think people too often focus on whether she deserved to be redeemed or not. And I think this has distracted people from asking a different question: Starlight’s motivation for doing what she did.
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
@WyrmSpawN  
What I’m trying to get at is Starlight’s backstory. I don’t think her backstory is bad but I think it could’ve been so much better.

Starlight was one of the few villians that actually had good intentions, as in creating equality. Knowing how tough it can be to get a cutie mark, Starlight might have a point.

But I think the show didn’t really take this moral part of her personality seriously and instead just made her motivation based on her own suffering. I would have much preferred it if Starlight had a more selfless backstory.

This image describes the type story I wish the show would have done:  

Instead of Starlight doing what she did for (understandbly) selfish reasons, I would have prefered it if she truly did what she did because she wanted to save everypony from having to judged so harshly.

And it would’ve fit in well with her Season 6 and onwards personality of using questionable means to get what she wants. And it could also fit into Diamond Tiara’s reformation and the CMC getting their cutie marks.
Josh103
Thread Starter - Artists you miss.

Almost a year later after the end, (I think? I already forgot when this show ended), I think she could’ve been handled better. Of course, that describes the show in general.

The season 7(?) finale handled her best and despite the Pony of Shadows being a terrible villain, at least Starlight was at her best in those episodes.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide