Starlight Glimmer- What is the opinion of her still?

Angrybrony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -

🔥Sunset is best girl🔥
i can only conclude that glimmer has added nothing to the show and even her fans can’t actully name anything she’s added.
UserAccount
Duck - User has been known to often resemble a waterfowl
Duck - User has been known to often resemble a waterfowl
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages

#1 Spikeabuse Fan
@Angrybrony  
She added herself. I literally have no clue what answer you’re looking for. She’s a great pony with great episodes and adds to the show the same way other great characters do.

I can only conclude that her haters have literally no argument against how perfect she is.
gingerninja666
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Kaze ni Nare
People have reasons for liking her and people have reasons for disliking her.

I’m not a fan of this idea that Starlight needs to justify herself, when to those who like her, they just like her and her episodes. They find her endearing. They like her flaws. They like what she does.

Me, I like her relationship with Trixie and Twilight and Sunburst. I like how Starlight often approaches problems. I like the brand of respect she has for Twilight. I think her relationship with Sunburst allowed them to very naturally have an episode about friends that have drifted apart since they were children without needing to create a childhood friend out of whole cloth like they did with AJ (because Sunburst was baked into Star’s backstory) I like how she exists slightly outside of the mane cast while still being good aquaintences with them.

But on the other hand I wish certain Starlight fans here would stop antagonising those who dislike her.
That Little Faggot with the Earring and the Makeup
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Entry Of The Chameleons
@PonyPon  
why is there so much echoing? 🤨

@Angrybrony  
oh, now I know why. 😕

@UserAccount  
some of the guys here are just upset because Sunset isn’t in the main show.

come on, guys. get over it. Starlight’s not gonna go away, ever (unless you’re waiting for the series finale). if you have that much of a frigging problem with that, why don’t you take that shit to Twitter and express to the writers how discontent you are with the way they handled the show? don’t blame them for your being entitled to geting what you want and your getting angry when you don’t.
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

I know this is a little bit late, but about the “being angry” topic… I think the only moment where I was really angry and upset was Starlight’s attitude in Every little thing she does. As someone who wants to redeem herself, her will to finish her friendship homework as quick as possible doesn’t fit with her desire of redemption.

Nowadays I don’t think Starlight was a “spotlight stealer” or something like that. However:

-She has less character development than needed (2 episodes in season 5… yikes)  
-She has more magic power than needed (I despise the power fantasy trope)  
-Everyone in Ponyville is completely supersticious about her actions  
-She repeats the same line “I was bad in the past” in season 6 more times than needed  
-Every little thing she does in a nutshell

That, of course, was the result of watching the season 6. I haven’t watched seasons 7, 8 and 9. If I have to go back and finish the last three seasons, I need big incentives. If I have to be more positive (just to avoid the grumpy mood), my opinion of Sunset Shimmer was becoming much more positive after watching the fourth EG film. In that film, she went from one of the most boring characters in the EG films to one of the most likeable and interesting characters in MLP overall. I believe there’s gonna be an episode of Starlight in seasons 7, 8 or 9 that would make me forget everything about Every little thing she does.

Although it’s gonna be really hard, because it’s the worst episode I’ve ever watched in the show.

EDIT: I just randomly found this.

full

Please tell me this is fake.
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Angrybrony  
Careful, or I’ll supersede your ‘Starlight is a spotlight stealer’ with ‘Equestria Girls is badly written’.

@Ring Team  
Does it help that she loses?

I mean she makes Chrysalis look like a complete idiot, as Chrysalis should have taken that fight easily… but fuck Chrysalis. (see also, Pinkie vs Chrysalis)

…I missed this thread!
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

(Long time since this thread came up, discussions therein, indeed…)

@Philweasel

I mean she makes Chrysalis look like a complete idiot, as Chrysalis should have taken that fight easily… but fuck Chrysalis (see also, Pinkie vs Chrysalis).

It’s not OOC for Chrysalis to have more trouble winning than you’d expect for a given power level, really. Twilight beat Chrysalis in the comics when it came to a magic duel, due to her superior magical knowledge letting her get more mileage out of a power boost both of them had, and Starlight came across as a skilled fighter since S5.

Aside from Starlight, and later Pinkie, Chrysalis was also kinda humiliated by being briefly inconvenienced by Rarity and Spike, I’d argue.

It’s not like Starlight was challenging Sombra, who has both power and finesse (and brainwashed her offscreen in the S9 premiere), one on one, or Tirek.
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@AC97  
I would have mentioned Rarity and Spike vs Chrysalis, but honestly I think that was one of her most dignified moments. I mean those two are no joke, and they still lost quite badly.  

And yeah, I’m being facetious. I stand by Starlight not actually being that powerful (certainly the list of people above her is vast), and even her magical knowledge has holes, but her fight IQ, agility, aim and definitely reflexes is the best in the show. I’d straight out say she’s got better reflexes than Tempest.

Chrysalis on the other hand has been consistently proven to not be all that good. Like her children, and somewhat appropriately, Chrysalis looks and acts scary and powerful, but does struggle in a straight up confrontation. Certainly Tirek and Sombra would stomp her, and I’d bet on Empowered Cozy too. Her combat style can be described as ‘fly to high vantage point, point horn, blast until enemy is dead’, which certainly compares unfavorably to all the other top level fighters.
Angrybrony
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab

🔥Sunset is best girl🔥
@Philweasel  
i see your ‘Equestria Girls is badly written’ and play “sunset shimmer, rainbow rocks and forgotten friendship are the best things to come out of the franchise so fuck your bad hot take and the means of which it rode in on”.
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

but honestly I think that was one of her most dignified moments.

I’ll definitely agree on that one. Looking at the raw amount of time elapsed on its own, aside from how soundly she won, Chrysalis beat the two of them in less time than the other two cases. And yeah, being absolutely fair to them all, those two were no joke.

but her fight IQ, agility, aim and definitely reflexes is the best in the show. I’d straight out say she’s got better reflexes than Tempest.

Yep, she’s a very dangerous fighter, because if she has enough breathing room, she’ll stay out of range or evade, and she’ll do it well, because she has truly excellent reflexes. She did lose to Pharynx kinda, who got her in a sack, but she didn’t seem that panicked, with the situation.

Tempest just inherently has lack of complexity holding her back, even if she’s great for what she is, in strength and skill.

…would Starlight be kinda uninteresting inherently to see in fights for that reason? Or could you still get by?

…the latter? Hmm…

Chrysalis on the other hand has been consistently proven to not be all that good. Like her children, and somewhat appropriately, Chrysalis looks and acts scary and powerful, but does struggle in a straight up confrontation. Certainly Tirek and Sombra would stomp her, and I’d bet on Empowered Cozy too. Her combat style can be described as ‘fly to high vantage point, point horn, blast until enemy is dead’, which certainly compares unfavorably to all the other top level fighters.

The massive issue Chrysalis has is, taking the time to improve her combat skills would imply she ever had a problem in the first place.

Starlight would probably improve her magical knowledge from what it once was, to a degree at least, even if she still wouldn’t specialize on the matter, for instance, once she has a decent opportunity to do so (like being Twilight’s student; she kinda had less blunders with her magic being improperly controlled after S6, and ELTSD), and for what it’s worth, mentoring Trixie worked well for her, and she’s the Headmare of a School, if that position would involve organizing what magical knowledge would be part of the curriculum.

(If that take is flawed, you be the judge)

…Chrysalis is someone who tries to brute force it almost every time she’s in a position of power, despite what she is more geared towards, and I’d consider her the most… comprehensively self-destructive villain (a rather long comment, that), in a way that’s unusual, as a core flaw, as an enduring pattern.

Someone else said it rather nicely on that thread:

It’s the reason why it would be so superbly difficult to redeem or change Chrysalis in any way. You can’t have her confront her flaws or realize she is wrong. She has no flaws. She is the Queen, and queens have no flaws. She can’t realize her issues with the help of others. Who are those peasants to teach a Queen anything? The world is divided into three parts. The Queen, her subjects, and the rest. And only one part ever matters.

…And that goes back to why she’s a subpar fighter, and she’d be most likely to improve if she were forced into fights that need finesse on a regular basis, because otherwise it probably isn’t happening, in part due to the way characters like her think. Still, she couldn’t stop underestimating opponents for the life of her, and overestimating herself is par for the course, too.

…Sorry for the Chrysalis tangent, but it’s all rather fascinating, if you ask me.
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@AC97  
Tempest vs Starlight is always a difficult one for me, because they’re actually rather different. Tempest is ALL speed and power, she saw her advantages and just doubled down on them. Starlight on the other hand likes to stay evasive and use the environment around her, waiting for her opponent to make a mistake.

I’ll probably put a bet down on Tempest simply due a style mismatch, but Starlight could certainly take it. I terms of raw skill they’re likely the two I’d rate highest. (Mistmane and Discord might get an honorable mention)
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Philweasel

Tempest is also smart enough to “cheat” by say, using petrification orbs (otherwise she wouldn’t have beaten Cadance and the others), or dropping an anti-magic cage on Twilight out of nowhere, but that sort of thing would require prep time. She’d be best off taking Starlight down by getting the first hits off, in much the same way Rainbow Dash would.

You’d have ‘skilled brute force and speed’ vs ‘I’ll do my damndest to stay away from you, and my punish game is good, as are my snipes on a related note’ (which is why you avoid being ambushed, don’t let your guard down)

(Really, Tempest’s speed and strength are excellent)

Either way, it would be an interesting matchup to see.

Cadance is better than either Royal Sister in terms of her track record, at least in modern times, with skill, regarding alicorns.

(Curious as to why Mistmane gets an honorable mention; is it just the duel shown in the flashback [which was cool, I’ll admit], or does it involve the comics, too?)

(In any case, I kinda hope the discussion on that image’s thread isn’t beaten to death yet, on a kinda unrelated to this thread note, except for Starlight being involved)
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@AC97  
Just the duel shown in the episode, which was masterful. Unfortunately the only other time she got to show off was against Tirek, who’s… Tirek. Plus I think age has weakened her.

My appreciate for Cadance is pretty well established by now. I still think Celestia’s more powerful, but Cadance is a better fighter.
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Philweasel

There’s just something appealing about seeing someone get stomped by being grabbed by vines under their opponent’s control.

It’d be more surprising if she didn’t nerf herself by sacrificing her youth the way she did/does, if anything. Her mane’s flow did get dimmer and all… not that it would’ve stopped her from getting Tirek’d, even if she were still in her prime, probably.

I think you definitely contributed to infecting me with the Cadance appreciation… not that I’m complaining, lol.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide