Starlight Glimmer- What is the opinion of her still?

LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
I don’t really like her in any way, personality, backstory, or design wise. It’s hard to explain other than “I don’t enjoy her”, but one think I know for sure is, I liked her hair better when she had bangs in S5 versus her current mane, but aside from that, even if I accepted her backstory and personality, her design is like a weaker version of Twilight’s. Now, I like the individual colors of Starlight more than Twilight, but it’s just way too similar for my taste, plus, she just has the default BG pony eye shape and eyelashes, so even barring everything related to how she acts, her design is what really bugs me. If she was just a different color overall, like green, or orange, I would be more willing to give her a chance, but as it stands, even if she somehow endears herself to me based on personality or gets a better excuse to her backstory, she’s still bootleg Twilight Sparkle colors.
EotD
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

I beat LoZ:BotW!!!
I dislike her.

I feel no sympathy for her. Part of the problem with her is that other characters always need to get reduced in order for her to shine. Twilight’s a judgmental hypocrite in No Second Prances, The Remane 5 get mind controlled in Every Little Thing She Does and then they all get worfed for her in the season 6 finale and then they expect us to sympathize with Starlight when my sympathy is directed elsewhere, usually to the ones getting reduced in order to make Starlight look good. This does not make me like the character at all, it makes me like her less, that other characters need to be put down for her to be raised up.

And then everyone treats her like some special little thing. If anyone else had done half of the things she’s done they’d all be treating her much tougher but they’re not because she said sorry and that’s it. She never faces any reprocussion for her actions. The only thing she has is self-pity, but when everyone praises her and showers her with love, it make the self-pity moot and pointless, stupid wangst at best.

Also she’s like a bad OC. If I took all her characteristics, changed her name and put that in a fan fic, people would be chewing me out for it. I mean she’s a super magically strong unicron (that’s purple and has a name nearly identical to Twilight’s) that can take out the Mane 6, rework Starswirl’s spells, beat Alicorn Twilight one-on-one, has a “tramatic” (ie overly simply and not well put together) backstory, is instantly forgiven by the Mane 6 because she’s so sorry, is made Twilight’s pupil because of how amazing she is, is friends with Trixie and gets Twilight to see the error of her way with Trixie, is also friends with Luna, and gets to rescue all of the Mane 6 from the evil Chrysalis who is now her biggest enemy. That screams self-insert OC.

Long story short, because I could rant for a while, no I do not like Starlight.
NamelessNP
Glim Glam - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Ruby -
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Patron

Starlight and Sunny Fan
I love her and can’t get enough of her. Maybe a little too much, I’ve reached a point that she makes the rest of the show feel mundane in comparison…
Poison Trail
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I think it was an incredibly bad idea to have this kind of “character” be the spotlight for so long, for reasons already mentioned. She has so many holes in her personality and background, inconsistencies which spit at the face of basic character design. It really does feel as though the new staff on the show wanted their own main character as opposed to taking what’s already been created and going along with it. As a result, the focus of the entire series has been shifted entirely around this mess, a mishmash which obviously had a much different purpose during her first appearance before becoming the new star of the show later on.

I’ve always disliked Twilight, a character which was born successful and never once realized just how spoon fed her entire existence was. She’s nothing compared to Glimmer, a humble character with sociopath tendencies which suddenly gained the Main Character trait and became just as powerful and privileged as Twilight ever was.
Kanye West
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Equality - In our state, we're all equal here!

Thicc Thighs Connoisseur
Ehh…I liked her better as a villain and after Everything Little Thing She Does…..yeah.

At least something good came out of this. More Trixie!

I’ll always prefer Sunset Shimmer <3
Jarkes
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Thread Starter - Transformers Thread

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
Well, I like her, anyway. Sometimes I feel like I’m the only one who predicted right from the end of the season 5 premiere that she was gonna get redeemed in the season 5 finale. And while it probably could’ve been done a little better, I’m mostly fine with how her redemption played out.

I’ve quite enjoyed her character arc. Also, Starburst is my OTP.
Ferrotter
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Her reason for becoming Kim Jong Unmarked was lousy and insufficient. But she was a great villain before that unsatisfying reveal. Twice. And her redemption was the third best in the series (after Diamond Tiara and Babs Seed). She has also become quite endearing since, with her shyness about ponies finding out that she used to be an evil cult leader. (Even though they’re all completely aware of it already.) And the fact that she genuinely wants to be better, but finds it hard not to slip back into old habits. Unless we get more DT (please yes!) and flesh out her ongoing recovery more too, Starlight’s ongoing struggles for redemption may well overtake the top spot.
MarikoCat

I’m pretty sure the opinion of her is still divisive, I’ve noticed a good share of people who either love her, are neutral or hate her either way.

Personally, I’ve always been on the “loved her” side though. I can understand why she hasn’t necessarily grown on many people yet, but I always found her pretty interesting and something about her is just relatable for me. Kind of wish she was developed better though.
Background Pony #454A
The only thing I really dislike about Starlight Glimmer is that conversations about her (given enough time) have an unfortunate tendency to devolve into shouting matches between those that like her and those that hate her. Which is unfortunate, because there are a number of things that have already been mentioned here that I think are worth debating, but I don’t want the thread to get off topic or get overwhelmed by back and forth commentary.

so I’ll just say that I like her quite a bit, I think her story and character are better than a lot of people give her credit for, and leave it at that.
Anonycat
Duck - "her mere existence is enough to put me in a quack mood, I might as well return the favor by quacking it around"
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Okay, I guess.
@Flutterio  
She’s a textbook example of a screwup and awful planning combo.

She could have been great with some more planning and care, but she wasn’t, so we are stuck with her until the end no matter what we have to say.
Background Pony #454A
So, it’s sort of like a pony Godwin’s law?
“As a online discussion about Starlight Glimmer goes on, the probability of drama ensuing approaches 1”
I feel like that law probably applies to ponies in general, but Starlight seems like a special version of that too.

And as I said earlier, I really feel like there are some significant and interesting things about Starlight that deserve more discussion. Take the matter of her backstory, for instance. I know her start towards the dark side underwhelmed a number of fans of the show.

Her reason for becoming Kim Jong Unmarked was lousy and insufficient. But she was a great villain before that unsatisfying reveal.

But I actually really like how it transpired. Psychological studies on children have long indicated that a significantly traumatic event as a child, even if it was only a one time occurrence, can have long term and lasting effects on how that child develops. That’s why I don’t find it hard to believe that seeing her only friend get taken away shortly after he earned a cutie mark prevented her (by her own admission) from ever making another one out of fear a similar thing would happen. Nor do I see it as a stretch that the association she made following that one event and an entire lonely childhood would be more than enough to make Starlight into the villain we first met her as.

Besides, is it really that strange to imagine this show would surreptitiously advance the idea that the things which happen in our youth could have a greater significance on our lives someday?

Angrybrony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab

🔥Sunset is best girl🔥
for me? she’s pretty much set dressing at points untie the show tries really hard to make us like her.

we’ve barely seen how the rest of the mane 6 see her which i hoped we’d get with every little thing she does but that didn’t happen. she’s also got the most botched “redemption” out of all the reformed bad guys and gets a hell of better treatment then they did and go barely a slap on the hove for her actions of scull fucking the time line till it’s brains oozed outs ears and compared to that most of the other baddy’s are pretty minor considering.
Aurora Glimmer

Wow! Glimmer
Starlight was a great villain, but her backstory and redemption were weak and she’s struggled to gain traction amongst the fandom. That being said, I think she’s beginning to move in the right direction as a character and I’m hoping Mike Vogel does a good job with her next season.
Anonycat
Duck - "her mere existence is enough to put me in a quack mood, I might as well return the favor by quacking it around"
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Okay, I guess.
@Crystal Neighybánya  
The show would have benefited a lot if she had stayed as a competent villain, but at the same time using her on a way that made very clear that all of her bitterness, scheming and revenge plans only kept making her unhappy.

THEN, and only then, they could have started her redemption arc.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide