Starlight Glimmer Appreciation Thread

MegaAnimationFan
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Artist -

@DerpyFast  
Ohhh no. I’ve been through this many times before. I write a wall explaining myself just for the other side to NOT get it for one reason or another. I know you said you’re legit curious, but I’m done doing this (after years of doing it). And sense I’d rather do anything else besides go through the same dance and song number again lets just agree to disagree and drop it like the dead horse it is.

But if you’re REALLY curious, ask someone else. There’s like 3 people here who agree with me. Maybe they’ll explain it
Vivace
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Artist -

“ShimSham my GlimGlams”
@MegaAnimationFan  
He’s making legitimate cogent arguments instead of being emotionally charged, frothing at the mouth at her very existence, and longing for a revenge fantasy against her.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

@DerpyFast

Overall, it did need a bit more substance (it felt like there was stuff missing from the middle, as you more or less say, while Tempest’s had her running away from home, and you can easily surmise from places like Klugetown that there’s places outside of Equestria that’d crush your remaining crumbs of idealism in a jiffy), but I tend to conceptualize it as “Starlight isn’t exactly psychologically normal,” for a bit of a hand-wave.

Tempest’s backstory involved her misinterpreting her friends giving her space as “they ostracized her” from her point of view (per the comics), and that’s part of how she went off the deep end, after she lost her horn.

In the end, it is kinda noticeable how Starlight, as an idealist in her mind, tends to be emotional/dramatic as a villain (even when she was in control, she was overdoing her sweetness demeanor, to the point that five out of six of the Mane Six were put off by her village from the get-go, and she didn’t help matters), while Tempest, by contrast, as someone who grew outright cynical, letting go of friendship mattering entirely, tends to be cold/stoic, as a general rule.

It seems more self-evident that Starlight was blowing things out of proportion from the way she generally carried herself, even if, in the end, they both didn’t grow up properly, and Tempest put forth a better front.

…also, to continue an earlier thought, people really overestimate/misremember how charismatic Starlight was at the beginning of S5. She always had something blatantly “off” about her, which lines up with part of why she became a cult leader: her social skills weren’t actually that good. If she were being portrayed as genuinely charismatic, I feel Fluttershy wouldn’t be the only one thinking all is well at the village throughout the whole first part.

…I really should’ve tried replying sooner, since the conversation is kinda dragged out. Hopefully I contributed at least one interesting thought, and didn’t piss anyone off.

(on another note, ShimmerGlimmer is kinda cute)
Background Pony #74F8
@DerpyFast

@Vivace

@AC97

Before things start up again, how about we move the discussion somewhere else. If you folks wish to talk more about your opinions on Starlight, how about continuing the discussion on this topic instead: Starlight Glimmer- What is the opinion of her still?

Let’s make this this Starlight Appreciation thread nice again.

Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide