Sphinx: Final Naming Poll

Poll results: Choose all names you like for the Sphinx!

Sphinx (Character)
15.16% 385 votes
Nekopatra
9.09% 231 votes
Bastet
7.68% 195 votes
Cleo
6.65% 169 votes
Isis
6.50% 165 votes
Sekhmet
6.30% 160 votes
Meowpatra
6.22% 158 votes
Nefertiti
5.98% 152 votes
Rosetta
5.94% 151 votes
Jinxy
5.79% 147 votes
Giza
4.84% 123 votes
Sphinxy
4.57% 116 votes
Catshepsut
4.33% 110 votes
Sekh
3.86% 98 votes
Cleopatra
3.82% 97 votes
Phix
3.27% 83 votes

Poll ended with 2540 votes.

Damaged
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

Word Bug
@Wispy Tuft  
Right, but a cursory glance at the various mythologies relating to sphinxes shows that Phix was literally the only one that actually named them at all. Even all the Egyptian ones that were modeled on gods and pharaohs, or the multitude from south/southeast Asia had no name. They were just “sphinx”.
Wispy Tuft
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Bronze Bit -
Artist -

Sphinx Aficionado
@Damaged  
Right. Phix, Cleopatra, Sekh, Giza, Isis, Nefertiti, Sekhemet, Bastet. All ripped out of my middel school social studies textbook. Suggested by people who think a Wikipedia search constitutes ‘thinking of a unique name’

You are right though. Sphinxes were not commonly named. But this is equestria. the rules upheld in real life mythology are moot. Am I happy ‘Sphinx (character)’ is winning? Sure. Better Sphinx than Nekopatra. But at the same time it would have been nice to receive a unique and interesting roster of names, And it would have been nice if those name suggestions stood a chance.  
There should have been a pole before these naming ones asking ‘should the sphinx be named at all?’ (yes) (no) because the way it is now we have potential name suggestions clashing with whether or not the name suggestions should even be suggested.  
Thats why ‘sphinx (character)’ is doing so well. because ‘leave the character name as is’ is a name suggestion rather then a yes or no question.
Damaged
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Word Bug
@Damaged
Right. Phix, Cleopatra, Sekh, Giza, Isis, Nefertiti, Sekhemet, Bastet.

No. Not what I said at all. What I said was the ONLY name ever given to a sphinx was the Greek one, Phix. They were NEVER known by those other names.

As for your suggestion to vote on whether the name should be changed at all, that would have been terribly biased toward those wanting it changed, wouldn’t it?
Wispy Tuft
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Bronze Bit -
Artist -

Sphinx Aficionado
@Damaged  
I know Phix was the only actual Sphinx name. What I’m saying is Cleopatra, Sekh, Giza, Isis, Nefertiti, Sekhemet and Bastet aren’t any better. None of these names are creative. They are all just taken from mythology and thrown at the wall.  
I don’t find what the Greeks did with their sphinx’s to be relevant. This is equestria. Blank slate. New start. Endless possibilities. but everyone just wants to borrow from what already around.

‘As for your suggestion to vote on whether the name should be changed at all, that would have been terribly biased toward those wanting it changed, wouldn’t it?’

Not at all. Not even remotely. It’s as fair as it could ever possibly be. It confronts the name changing or staying the same head on. Yes or No, 50/50. If yes we would proceed to the new names and vote for one. If no it stays as ‘sphinx (character)’  
How could that possibly be unfair? Whats unfair is pitting the people who want the name to stay the same up against people who have to chose from 15 new options. Those people that want a name change would never be able to beat the people who want the name to stay the same.
Wispy Tuft
Bronze Bit -
Artist -

Sphinx Aficionado
@SPi  
It would appear the allusive hacker ‘4chan’ has arrived to vote up Weeaboo bait ‘Nekopatra’ and terrorist organization ‘Isis’
Background Pony #E9AA
@CMC Scootaloo  
Thats not really interesting tho. And the point of having a poll was to actually strech our creative muscles and give her a name. If we just keep it the same, for whatever reason, then there would have been no point at all for bothering with her poll in the first place.
Hopen Way
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Economist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger

🔥 le mayo 🔥
Not everyone wanted her named to begin with.  
I’m not really seeing a name I like myself. I voted for the ones I find “not that bad”.  
Excluding the cute-ish ones (not fitting her role) and Isis (obvious reasons), I voted mostly based on my own preference on the pronunciations.
Wispy Tuft
Bronze Bit -
Artist -

Sphinx Aficionado
@NamelessNP  
I keep hearing that from about 5 people, but other than you guys it appears that most everybody likes one name or another. You may be being dismissive.

Sphinx is winning for ONE reason alone.  
There are people who don’t want a name change and people who do.  
People who don’t want a name change will vote for Sphinx ‘character’  
People who do want a name change will be forced to spread their focus across 15 new options.  
They will have to compete against conflicting ideas from other suggestions.  
There will never be a unanimous agreement of any of the new names.  
Therefor, there is no way a new name will win.  
There needed to be a pole before the name pole that asked people if the sphinx should be renamed at all (yes) or (no)

Doesn’t matter much at this point. Nekopatra (one of the worst suggestions) Shot up from 13th place to 2nd place in a couple hours. There’s clearly something sideways going on with this poll.
Badumsquish
Generic Messy Hair Anime Anon - Seen and done more than you can imagine
Kalianne - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

ᗡ: 📶 📡
@Wispy Tuft  
A lot of us just think of her as Sphinx or The Sphinx, too. The idea of giving her a new, different name never even crossed my mind until this voting poll began :P
cheezedoodle
Roll for Initiative - For Patreon supporters
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - OC Tag Description Requests
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Silver Bit -

TagZombie: AC15, Atk +8
There’s clearly something sideways going on with this poll.

Only one account voting for the Nekopatra option was created in the last two weeks. Probably 90% of its supporters have accounts older than yours.

It is kind of surprising though, considering it took third in its bracket.
ShadeTheRaven
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Being a bit of a sucker for good puns, I had to vote on some of the punny names.

But come on, any name’s gotta be better rather than letting Sphinx (character) be the winner XP
Wispy Tuft
Bronze Bit -
Artist -

Sphinx Aficionado
@Dust Rock  
Yeah it translates from Japanese. Means ‘Catpatra’. What a… strangely popular suggestion. Doesn’t even rhyme with Cleopatra. At least meowpatra Kind of Parodies Cleopatra with a similar sound when pronounced.

@cheezedoodle  
That’s… kinda surprising. Oh well, fair game.  
Thanks for your vigilance.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide