Viewing last 25 versions of post by Ring Team in topic SEASON 9 FINISHED! (Top 10 episodes and final thoughts of MLP:FiM)

Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

**6. Between dark and dawn*

![full](https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/mlp/images/9/90/Celestia_and_Luna_watch_the_magic_show_S9E13.png/revision/latest?cb=20190623233042!

)

From here and now, **I really like these episodes.** At first I was a bit defensive because I didn't like too much the first 5 minutes, but the rest of the episode is fine. I used to think that Celestia and Luna were very mystical (by the time they were introduced, the alicorns were very rare), so seeing them in a more mundane and even human approach is quite fun. I think they deserved an episode like that. I kinda wish these two got more episodes, but at least we got this one.

The episode reminded me of that IDW comic where Luna wanted to make all Celestia's work just for her to rest. I've read that comic back in 2014, so, to me, that's a sign where I think the TV episodes should have been more like the IDW comics, or at least as creative as those. And, by the way, nice Wicked reference. I love musicals and I love anything related to Idina Menzel, especially Frozen.

The only problems I have with the episode is that the first 5 minutes have too many scenes in a very short time where Celestia and Luna interfere too much in everything. And I couldn't stand Pinkie Pie here. Too many screams. Also, the scene where Celestia and Luna started to fight was out of nowhere, they could have shown some reasonable arguments instead of making a jab at the other sister just because “it’s the second act of the episode”. But overall, it was ok.

*5. The ending of the end*

![full](https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/mlp/images/1/13/Legion_of_Doom_threatening_Twilight_S9E24.png/revision/latest?cb=20191017173230!

)

Yes, the climatic ending of Twilight Sparkle against Chrysalis and the other villains happens to be a very entertaining episode. But, as much as I like it, the funny thing about this conclusion is that it *_**should_*** be my favourite episode in the entire show. It’s the conclusion of a TV show that millions of people love, myself included. I like Twilight Sparkle here and the overall conflict was insteresting. I wanted to know what happened in the next scene. It does lots of things that I wish the show did in many previous seasons, mainly during season 4. Chrysalis was nice here and Tirek was also terryfing. The Mane 6 were cool, sometimes it can be intentionally stressing and the overall ending is satisfying. Chrysalis manipulating the entire Canterlot was something I expected her doing since the season 2 finale, so it’s nice to see all these little details.

![full](https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3a/aa/6a/3aaa6acdb55e4d0596b9aa26f78b313e.jpg!

)

I’m saying all this because I think I have three problems. The first one is that Pinkie Pie is still annoying, but that is to be expected. The second one if the fight between Starlight and Chrysalis. I wanted to see a fight between Twilight and Chrysalis like in the IDW comic, not with Starlight. The second part of the episode is a bit better for having a bit of that, so that’s fine. And then there’s the big one: Grogar was revealed to be Discord. My god, why? Out of all the twists I’ve seen in the seasons 7, 8 and 9, let alone the season 6, why did they make this one? I don’t think Grogar was too interesting, but that doesn’t mean he has to be Discord all this time. It’s really weird twist that doesn’t stick too well to the rest of the episode.

But, to be fair, it’s still a minor issue, because, compared to the good stuff, this is really enjoyable. And there's a nice Tempest Shadow cameo. As an episode with the final fight with the villains, I think it was very good, even better than episodes such as Twilight’s Kingdom. Not perfect by a long shot (my favourite double episode is still A Canterlot wedding), but it’s still fine.

*4. The summer sun setback*

![full](https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/mlp/images/5/58/Princesses_bathed_in_sun%27s_glow_S9E17.png/revision/latest?cb=20190829013400!

)

This episode was pretty good. There's a lot happening in these 22 minutes, so it doesn't get boring. And I was surprised that the villains were gonna show up apart from Frenemies. I also like the ending and how Twilight decided to solve this problem. She was doing what she was expected to do, which is nice.

The only two problems I see here is that I think Chrysalis should have been the only villain capable of doing all this. I don't wanna sound like a Smash Bros fanboy, but Tirek is too big for a task like that one. Watching her doing this entire plan would have been better instead of showing too many characters. I kinda wish this was an episode from season 4. It's still a good episode despite all that.

*3. The beginning of the end*

![full](https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/mlp/images/6/66/Twilight_%22you_can%27t_destroy_our_friendship%22_S9E2.png/revision/latest?cb=20190411021225!

)

Celestia and Luna decided to retire and to let all their royal duties to Twilight. They give her time to prepare herself, but she’s still incredibly nervous for such a big task. In the meantime, Chrysalis and the villains were teleported by Grogar, and he resurrected king Sombra. He decided to go back to conquer the Crystal Empire and then Equestria.

This was a really interesting episode because, like some double episodes in previous episodes, it starts to get ambitious in a way that makes sense for Twilight’s character arc. We imagined at some point Twilight on Celestia's throne and being the princess of Equestria doing some princess duties. I've always imagined that since Magical Mystery Cure and I wondered if we were gonna see something like that in season 4. Unfortunately we didn't get that back in 2014. This episode would make more sense in season 4. However, the pacing was so well done that I was intrigued by absolutely everything. I was always "what's gonna happen in the next scene?". I wanted to see more.

I kinda wish we see more of the villains during season 9, but it’s the season 9. Most episodes made were very random and very baffling. Still, it’s nice to get an episode like that.

*2. The Last Problem*

![full](https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/mlp/images/f/fe/Future_Mane_Six_and_Spike_in_Ponyville_S9E26.png/revision/latest?cb=20191103195212!

)

And here it is. The final episode happens to be one of my favourite ones in the final season. As its own thing, it’s ok. As an epilogue of a TV show that was loved by millions of fans, this is wonderful. Even if I unintentionally saw some spoilers back in 2019, I was still surprised by this approach. It’s refreshing to see all my favourite characters older. All the characters, especially Twilight and Rarity, look exactly how I would imagine, and that’s really nice.

But that’s a character design topic. What about the story? I’m not sure about the rest, but I find Twilight more relatable in this episode than I expected. What if, after you start to work in another city, you don’t see your best friends as often as you want? That was a question most of us have when we no longer see our friends, and we start worrying about the future. I think most of us have been in the same situation as Twilight. To give you some context, I was studying for 2 years in another city and I’ve made some great friends. That was years ago. After that, it’s harder and harder to go out with them just for one day. However, we have advantages. We have social networks, we have phones, we can ask if our friends are available. A part of us ifs afraid of the future. But we can get better.

I also really like the little details, such as the news Twilight was reading. The way it shows the last fight like it was a detailed article is a neat thing to make the episode more believable. And how about that memory book for Twilight? It kinda reminds me of the photos from Harry Potter, or at least from what I’ve watched in very few movies, which is nice. And I really really like Luster Dawn’s design and character. She’s really cute and passionate. I’ve read that she’s supposed to be Starlight’s daughter, but the fact that this information wasn’t confirmed or denied makes me appreciate her as her own character. Maybe it’s me, but not every character has to be connected.

And then we have the last song of the show: The magic of friendship grows. I don’t know about you, but this is the first time since Rarity takes Manehattan that I’ve cried while watching an episode of Friendship is Magic. I don’t like most of Josh Haber’s work (starting with certain unicorn), but I think this is one of his best episodes by a long shot. It’s the most bittersweet episode in the season. Sweet because the ending is wonderful. Bitter because this is the ending and we have to close the book.

I used to think that Crusaders of the Lost Mark should have been the last episode, but now I sincerely cannot imagine a better ending than this. This is a great way to close a good TV show.

*1. The last laugh*

![full](https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/mlp/images/9/91/Pinkie_Pie_enters_the_factory_gates_S9E14.png/revision/latest?cb=20190804190407!

)

My favourite episode of season 9 is an episode I didn’t expect it to get made. Despite being a Pinkie Pie episode, she's not annoying or noisy. Maybe a little bit in the last 20 seconds of the episode, but that's nothing. And I really like the art direction in this episode, with some grey tones and desaturated colors in comparison to Pinkie. The characters are likeable and Cheese Sandwich has a very relatable conflict. Some people just lose their will to laugh and their will to smile.

I really like the third act. You don't need to find funny things to go back to be happy, you need to say funny things. It can be anything. A weird story, a pun, a joke, dark humour, soft humour, some ridiculous news (not the depressing ones, the FUNNY ones, the ones that make you chuckle). Just talk to anybody. Because, even though your voice would sound sad or joyless, the way you'd articulate these funny things would make people chuckle or laugh, even if it's just a bit. People like funny people, they want to share funny stories. I think it's a nice message to everybody.

The only thing I didn't like about the episode is that I wish it could be funnier. There's a moment where Pinkie Pie reinvents some slapstick jokes just to make Cheese Sandwich laugh. That scene could have been waaaay funnier. Or how about the two serious guards? Another scene that could have been so much funnier. And, hey, it's a great Pinkie Pie episode! Never thought I'd watch one of those in the last seasons, let alone the very last season. I think I like it much more than Pinkie Pride because that episode was waaay too indulgent to me. This one has a better story and it shows a relatable conflict that many of us have to fight against. And that makes it an admirable episode. And I like it more than The Last Problem because I didn’t expect that type of story for Pinkie Pie after trying to stand her screams for years, so watching an episode like this was a huge surprise to me.
No reason given
Edited by Ring Team